Radiuses fretboards on production ukes?

Patty

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
My arthritis is getting worse and my barre skills, already sketchy, are rapidly going south. I’m wondering whether a custom, luthier-made uke is the only option for people who want a radiused fretboard, or if any of the big brands offer them. I tried searching Baz’s Got A Ukulele reviews but didn’t find any major brands who do this. (Why don’t they?)

My arthritis is getting worse and my barre skills, already sketchy, are rapidly going south. I’m wondering whether a custom, luthier-made uke is the only option for people who want a radiused fretboard, or if any of the big brands offer them. I tried searching Baz’s Got A Ukulele reviews but didn’t find any major brands who do this. (Why don’t they?)
Pono jumps to mind, Deluxe models and up.

Some of the higher end aNueNue ukes such as the UC1K and the AMM series have radius fretboard. Pono ukes as well.

Will let others who are more knowledgeable chip in regarding other brands.

Lots of the Enya models have a radius. Even very affordable ones, like the Novas and the HPL ones.

Personally, the neck shape matters to me, so I would guess that’s another factor that can work with or against the radius.

How was playing the LoPrinzi with it's thin neck ?

To be honest, I don't know if the radius on some of the tenor brands mentioned are on their Concert and Soprano models or not.

I particularly like the 12" radius in my Mya-Moe Koa Tenor Classic Ukulele. I find it a very comfortable neck to play.

I think a radius helps a little bit for barre chords. But it doesn't make as much difference as a very low setup does. Especially up at the first few frets. The second thing I found that makes a big difference is making sure my hand, wrist, arm and body postures are correct.

My wrist and fingers were really starting to hurt a lot with even short practice times. It turned out that the way I held my left arm and bent my wrist was a major reason why. And the way I wrapped my fingers around the neck and placed my thumb behind also added to the discomfort.

Brad Bordessa's book "Left Hand Technique for Ukulele" and his recent, more extensive online course of the same name has helped me to revise the way I place my left hand when I play. I'm still undoing some 5-year old habits I have. My hand and wrist feel much better and my body is less tense now from playing. Though my arthritis does bother me, it isn't as bad as it was.

I have no connection with Brad or to his books or courses. Just a happy customer.

The big reason is cost. Not only do you have to shape the fretboard, but the frets have to be bent to fit. Then the nut slots and the saddle have to conform to the arc.

How was playing the LoPrinzi with it's thin neck ?
I have a 2018 LoPrinzi FM-Custom Mahogany tenor. The fingerboard is flat. No radius at all. I like the thin D-profile of the neck. It makes it easier for me to wrap my fingers around and play with the tips. I like the thin flat-ish necks on my Kanile'a tenors as well.

To be honest, I don't know if the radius on some of the tenor brands mentioned are on their Concert and Soprano models or not.

I particularly like the 12" radius in my Mya-Moe Koa Tenor Classic Ukulele. I find it a very comfortable neck to play.

I think a radius helps a little bit for barre chords. But it doesn't make as much difference as a very low setup does. Especially up at the first few frets. The second thing I found that makes a big difference is making sure my hand, wrist, arm and body postures are correct.

My wrist and fingers were really starting to hurt a lot with even short practice times. It turned out that the way I held my left arm and bent my wrist was a major reason why. And the way I wrapped my fingers around the neck and placed my thumb behind also added to the discomfort.

Brad Bordessa's book "Left Hand Technique for Ukulele" and his recent, more extensive online course of the same name has helped me to revise the way I place my left hand when I play. I'm still undoing some 5-year old habits I have. My hand and wrist feel much better and my body is less tense now from playing. Though my arthritis does bother me, it isn't as bad as it was.

I have no connection with Brad or to his books or courses. Just a happy customer.
I’ll check out Brad’s book. I play soprano, and haven’t found that any Pono or aNueNue sopranos come with radiused fretboards. This is after some cursory searching—I’ll keep trying.

Interestingly, I’ve just been on the Mya Moe site looking at their builds. All their boards are radiused. Same with Barron River. May have to go to a custom after all. (Where will the money come from?)

Another consideration is the shape and height of the frets on the uke. Some are much easier to play than others. I find the low round frets harder to use. Easier for me are the higher, nicely crowned fret wire.

Haven’t played it recently (it now belongs to another UU member). It was very comfortable to hold for the usual fretting, but my barres sucked.
To expand your search, a very thick neck may be more comfortable for you. I have a White-label Kamaka that feels like a broom handle squared off, which feels like the opposite of my Loprinzi neck. I also agree with Kenn, that the low setup will be very helpful, especially with the typical microscopic fret size many/most uke makers use.
Tuning down a half step for practice can alleviate some discomfort.

Pono jumps to mind, Deluxe models and up.
My production quality Pono AT-CR is so equipped... but it's a tenor. I'm not sure if the sopranos also feature radius fretboards or not... bit I do love mine and it sure does make it easier to barre...

Interestingly, I’ve just been on the Mya Moe site looking at their builds. All their boards are radiused. Same with Barron River. May have to go to a custom after all. (Where will the money come from?)
PM sent on this topic

Anuenue AMMs
Photo of AMM2 with Diamond Head in the background from Ukulele Pua Pua's website :

589.AMM2.AI11643.1_0fec667b-4961-4b1b-b92a-c09b1c8a5457_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Thanks to badhabits and kaimuki, but aNueNue doesn’t offer a radiused board on a soprano—at least, I can’t find one.

Thanks to badhabits and kaimuki, but aNueNue doesn’t offer a radiused board on a soprano—at least, I can’t find one.
Whoops I’m wrong; the US1K Koa Bird Series has a radiused fretboard. Will check this out pronto!

Edit: the aNueNue radius is so slight that it might not help me much.

Last edited:
Whoops I’m wrong; the US1K Koa Bird Series has a radiused fretboard. Will check this out pronto!

Edit: the aNueNue radius is so slight that it might not help me much.
I’ll try to take a pic of the fretboard of my aNueNue later so you can see if it works for you. Admittedly, the curve is not very pronounced.

Top Bottom