Question Regarding The Use Of A "Y-Cord"

Bill Sheehan

Reaction score
Assume the following facts:

I am performing solo, with a mic'd ukulele and a mic'd voice (mine, of course).

My portable PA only has one XLR input.

I have been running the two mics (which are identical) into the dual XLR receptacles of a Y-cord, with the single end of the Y-cord (also being XLR) then being plugged into the single XLR input on the PA.

This has actually worked out quite well for purposes of the small-scale (retirement home) outings I've been doing, but with one disadvantage-- both mics are always at the same volume relative to each other. This isn't a deal-breaker, but sometimes, when I turn the PA channel's volume control up to a sufficient level to allow the uke's mic to capture the uke clearly, I find that the vocal mic is then too hot and bordering on the threshold of feedback.

So, I'm wondering, if I run the vocal mic thru a simple XLR-based "inline volume control box" (passive)-- before the vocal mic goes into the Y-cord-- could I achieve my desired result by then turning the overall PA volume up to a level suitable for the ukulele's mic, and then reducing the vocal mic's volume appropriately via the volume control box, which (hopefully) affects the volume of that mic only?

Get a very simple two channel mixer to have full control of the volume on both mics. Do a search for two channel XLR mixer. Here are a couple of possibilities.

Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 16 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 40)
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
Yeah, what Mile said - get a two channel mixer.

I use mixers with 4 XLR inputs, and another four 1/4" inputs - I use one mic for the uke and blend the signals from the mic and the pickup, then another mic for the vocal.

This also has the advantage of adding another person, if someone comes to sit in, and I can use a couple of different ukes by just swapping them, and not having to plug/unplug the cables.

-Kurt​

I've been using this:

Mackie Mixer - Unpowered, 4 Channel PROFX4V2​

... and the ProFX8v2 for about 10 years. Very reliable. The Fx8 plugs straight into a wall outlet. The Fx4 has a "wall wart."

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks so much, guys, for the great thoughts and suggestions! Much to consider! I will tinker a bit and see where it takes me!

Top Bottom