Question about Boveda packs

An aside, about relative humidity in different areas of the US. We moved to FL from the Northeast. In Connecticut, winters were very cold and extremely dry, and furnaces pumping out hot dry air made the dryness worse.

My husband and I regularly got painful cracks in the skin at the tips of our thumbs. No lotion or cream could prevent it. But when we moved to FL it stopped. No more dry skin, no cracked thumbs.

Interesting idea. My days of modeling complex air movements ended when I took a fluid mechanics course in grad school from a prof modeling air currents around tall buildings in cities. That said, I do wonder if their are micro-climates inside a case. Air is pretty viscous and Brownian motion has a way of dispersing it around. It would be interesting to see a study of whether relative humidity is materially different in different parts of an instrument case.
I figure that knowing the humidity level inside the body is probably most critical. This is what I use in all my ukes during the dry season. I store my cases flat and if I'm taking a uke anywhere I just remove the hygrometer.

hygro 2.jpg

I guess I should have said that air has pretty low viscosity, not that its viscous which in common useage means thick

I have found there are three major areas of humidity in a hard case. Around the headstock & fretboard Usually the storage compartment restricts the air movement from the head to other areas of the case, the outside of the body, inside the body.

I like to place the pack at the heel. It provides enough humidity to keep the humidity in the body around 42%.

I'll have to try velcro-ing a pack over the soundhole. I'm thinking the pressure from the case's top will be too much for the pack and the strings.

Do an experiment. Put your humidifier in. Place your hygrometer in the case at the head. Leave for a day. Check the humidity level. Do the same for the heel area and inside the uke. This will let you know how effective it is in that case.

I couldn't open the link to your case photo. I'm pretty sure TTs came in a gig bag. Gig bags do not seal very well. Your Boveda/D'addario packs will not last as long as in a hard case.

Brand? Model number?
They're just cheapie hygrometers I bought on AliExpress - there are a lot of sellers listing them there. Last fall I was kind of shocked when I put them all together to see how closely they would read to one another and they all read exactly the same! I was expecting multiple different readings and only hoped that they would be relatively close.

Top Bottom