Question about Aquila Super Nylgut String Sets

Wiggy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Are the high-g ukulele sets "universal" for soprano through tenor, or does each set have unique gauges (diameters) for each of the 3 scale lengths?

I believe they are unique to each instrument. I know that is the case with the D'Addario Nyltech strings, which are an Aquila product. I saw some info online, which I will try to locate.

Are the high-g ukulele sets "universal" for soprano through tenor, or does each set have unique gauges (diameters) for each of the 3 scale lengths?

As others have said sets are sold for each scale length and the strings lengths and diameters are specific for each scale. As an addition to that some people put concert strings on soprano ukes, you get a little more volume and a little less sustain. I rarely do that, but it’s a common trick for driving a thick top harder.

I hope that you enjoy the Super Nylgut strings, those particular ones work well for me - really like them - but I don’t like some others within the same brand … YMMV.

Last edited:
I have a love/hate 'trying to warm up to' relationship with fluorocarbons. I only use them as singles in desperation for a "dead" 2nd string or to attain sting-to-balance while curing a howl. These Super Nylguts seem pleasant to play and hear. I'm ordering a pack of each scale.

<edit> I just tried M600s on a soprano. Nice. But not abandoning S-N-G's ;)

Last edited:
Have you tried the Worth brown fluorocarbons?

(I really shouldn't play devil's advocate like this.)
I haven't tried the 'browns,' but I've read good recommendations for them.

The M600s sound clear... they just don't "feel" good. They felt hard, sound a bit brittle, and were less loud. They're just not as "round & rosey" as I like. Maybe it's just me. The next day after much trying, I took them off and went back to (old) Aquila Nylguts I had on hand.

Last edited:
Top Bottom