Pickup in a soprano

Blank Williams

Reaction score
So first off please don’t kill me if this has been asked a million times already…but I’d like to add a K&K pickup to my Hamano soprano. My question is, would an install in a soprano be more difficult? Also the body of the Hamano is a bit more shallow than average, will this make it even more difficult? Overall it’s a pretty small ukulele but it’s my absolute favorite and I’d really like to make “stage worthy”. I hope it’s possible without too much extra effort. Thanks in advance!

So first off please don’t kill me if this has been asked a million times already…but I’d like to add a K&K pickup to my Hamano soprano. My question is, would an install in a soprano be more difficult? Also the body of the Hamano is a bit more shallow than average, will this make it even more difficult? Overall it’s a pretty small ukulele but it’s my absolute favorite and I’d really like to make “stage worthy”. I hope it’s possible without too much extra effort. Thanks in advance!
I'm not a pickup guy, but I have been tempted by the kind of pickup that goes under the strings. like so:

KNA Pickups UK-2 Portable Piezo Ukulele Pickup with Volume Control​

I'm not a pickup guy, but I have been tempted by the kind of pickup that goes under the strings. like so:

The only thing is, is that the Hamano has a slot bridge. I’ve had a K&K in a tenor a while back and I really liked it, that’s why I’d like to stick to K&K. Thanks for the recommendation though.

I tried a KNA pickup under a classical guitar and the pickup indeed picks up EVERYTHING including your hand movements, shifts of the instrument. It is too sensitive from my experience

I tried a KNA pickup under a classical guitar and the pickup indeed picks up EVERYTHING including your hand movements, shifts of the instrument. It is too sensitive from my experience
Thanks for the review, I appreciate it.

I have fitted K&K pickups to Guitars, Banjos and Mandolins and recommend the brand.
However, I agree that installing on a soprano could be tricky.
For this reason and the fact that I only occasionally need to amplify my soprano, I find the iRig Acoustic Stage works for me;

The clip on mic/pickup is designed for thicker guitar tops, so I pad it slightly to grip the uke better.
It gives a very natural sound with control of vol, eq and feedback on the preamp.
The only downside is the connecting cable seems a bit delicate and needs careful handling.
Vintage

I have fitted K&K pickups to Guitars, Banjos and Mandolins and recommend the brand.
For this reason and the fact that I only occasionally need to amplify my soprano, I find the iRig Acoustic Stage works for me;

The clip on mic/pickup is designed for thicker guitar tops, so I pad it slightly to grip the uke better.
It gives a very natural sound with control of vol, eq and feedback on the preamp.
The only downside is the connecting cable seems a bit delicate and needs careful handling.
Vintage

I forgot about these. Thanks I’ll look into it.

Vintage

You can purchase the microphone direct from IK Multimedia for $30 (US).
I bought one as a spare.

Top Bottom