Phil Doleman Millar uke?

MarTay6

Reaction score
I currently have a Famous Ukulele FS-5G- my first Soprano uke, and am considering getting a Millar PD-210M Phil Doleman Signature Soprano uke.... anyone have any experience with these? I'm wondering if it would be too similar to the Famous I already have, which is an outstanding uke... many differences- gloss vs satin, tuners, etc... Just looking for any opinions you all may have! Thanks!

I've never seen a Millar in person, but the reviews say they have a nice warm solid mahogany sound. That should be noticeably different from your very bright Famous.

If you are worried about getting caught in UAS, you need to think about is a different sound really worth paying money for? How do other people in your music groups sound and how do your instruments and playing fit in?

One is laminate koa while the other is solid mahogany. But, the Kiwaya/Famous is such a good instrument that it more than holds its own with solid instruments. Maybe comparing these two reviews would give you a sense if there is enough of a difference for you

Well, I haven't played one. But I have played the protoype Phil Doleman owns and gigs with.

It's a very nice uke.

You should probably ask yourself why you would be getting the Millar. I myself have both a Kiwaya Eco series laminate uke and a solid mahogany Kiwaya, pretty much equivalent to the Millar. My reasoning is that the Kiwaya is my travel uke as it should be more durable since it's laminate. The Millar will probably sound a bit better than the famous, deeper and more resonant with the solid wood construction. But will it sound that much better? And if so, what will you do with the Famous?

Regarding the quality, Millar is brilliant. It's actually very hard to distinguish between the quality of Millar and Kiwaya/Famous ukes, at least for me. I'd say the Millars maybe aren't quite as light in their build as Kiwaya but otherwise they're astonishingly similar in quality.

You should probably ask yourself why you would be getting the Millar. I myself have both a Kiwaya Eco series laminate uke and a solid mahogany Kiwaya, pretty much equivalent to the Millar. My reasoning is that the Kiwaya is my travel uke as it should be more durable since it's laminate. The Millar will probably sound a bit better than the famous, deeper and more resonant with the solid wood construction. But will it sound that much better? And if so, what will you do with the Famous?

Regarding the quality, Millar is brilliant. It's actually very hard to distinguish between the quality of Millar and Kiwaya/Famous ukes, at least for me. I'd say the Millars maybe aren't quite as light in their build as Kiwaya but otherwise they're astonishingly similar in quality.
Part of the idea is simply adding another high quality uke to the family, I suppose!

Part of the idea is simply adding another high quality uke to the family, I suppose!
You might consider trying to land one of the Timm's ukuleles that will likely be on eBay soon. That is likely a step up instead of a lateral one. Or maybe wait for a used KoAloha soprano.

You might consider trying to land one of the Timm's ukuleles that will likely be on eBay soon. That is likely a step up instead of a lateral one. Or maybe wait for a used KoAloha soprano.
I am keeping my eye out for a Timms... tell me more about the KoAloha???

I am keeping my eye out for a Timms... tell me more about the KoAloha???
The KoAloha soprano is one of the best production sopranos available. They sell for close to $1000 new, but may show up used here for $500 to $700.

If you're going to buy a Hawaiian-made ukulele, I personally prefer Kanilea to Koaloha or Kamaka. That is based on playability and feel in my hands as well as sound quality to my ears. Your hands and ears are going to be different, so I encourage you to try these instruments out for yourself. I'm not sure where you live, but they do have lots of dealers around the world.

Regarding UAS, Craig Chee made the somewhat controversial but also somewhat realistic claim that midrange ukuleles are a false economy and most people will be happier with 1 or 2 high-end instruments instead of a pile of cheaper ones. You can read arguments for and against this claim here: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/index.php?threads/avoid-the-mid-level-300-600.152342/

Maybe take a look at this Soprano on the marketplace as an alternative. I do not play Soprano but if I did, I'd sure consider this one :

If you're going to buy a Hawaiian-made ukulele, I personally prefer Kanilea to Koaloha or Kamaka. That is based on playability and feel in my hands as well as sound quality to my ears. Your hands and ears are going to be different, so I encourage you to try these instruments out for yourself. I'm not sure where you live, but they do have lots of dealers around the world.

BTW, as I live in Maine- the biggest town near me is Bangor, and the music stores here compete with WalMart and Target to see who can carry the cheapest uke's! :)

Regarding UAS, Craig Chee made the somewhat controversial but also somewhat realistic claim that midrange ukuleles are a false economy and most people will be happier with 1 or 2 high-end instruments instead of a pile of cheaper ones. You can read arguments for and against this claim here: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/index.php?threads/avoid-the-mid-level-300-600.152342/
I certainly can't disagree with that philosophy.

Unfortunately it appears he is not shipping internationally- and not to the USA- nor is he responding to queries on eBay, After selecting 'Contact Seller' and reviewing the pre-existing questions- and select to continue to contact the seller you are greeted with the message "We couldn't find an answer. Unfortunately, this seller isn't able to respond to your question. We suggest reviewing the item again to see if your answer is in the seller's listing."

Well, I just ordered a Millar PD.. Matt- at World of Ukes just got another shipment of these in. I've done business with Matt before, and he's great to work with. Had no problems with my previous order, and it arrived quickly from Great Britain here to me in Maine. A lot went into the decision, and I think it will be a good fit for me.

Well, I just ordered a Millar PD.. Matt- at World of Ukes just got another shipment of these in. I've done business with Matt before, and he's great to work with. Had no problems with my previous order, and it arrived quickly from Great Britain here to me in Maine. A lot went into the decision, and I think it will be a good fit for me.
I'll be interested to hear how the process goes and how you like the uke. Nice instrument, enjoy!

I would be very surprised if you end up being disappointed. :)

Just received the uke here in the US a week after it shipped. Matt did a great job of packing it, and it arrived safe and sound. He made me a good deal on a cool case for it, and I also had ordered a few back issues of his 'Uke' Magazine he publishes there in the UK- which, I might add- is a really great magazine! I subscribe to both it and the US Ukelele magazine- and prefer his mag.
The Uke's very nicely made, a totally clean build inside- impeccable outside. It's going to take a bit of getting used to for me due to the narrower nut width of this-bout 1/16"-3/32" narrower than my other Soprano- my Famous. Also, the jury is still out on the Worth Brown's on this- may try a set of Martin 600 Fluoro's on it- however going to give me a bit more time to get accustomed to it before changing strings.
It's not fancy- which I prefer. I much prefer simple quality elegance.
I'm a former fingerstyle guitar player, who spent about 30 years with the 1-3/4" nut width of my Taylor 712, then started Uke's with Tenors, then a Concert- and now Soprano's, so the successively narrower nut width's are a bit of a challenge to me!

Top Bottom