Pedals

Ukulelerick9255

Reaction score
What pedals do you all recommend for a solid body steel string Tenor uke(Fanner exosphere).
I’m thinking Boss OC-5 octave pedal and either overdrive or fuzz. I’m strictly a strummer trying to just add some more sound more warmth and depth for classic rock..Van Morrison, Springsteen etc

subtle reverb and/or delay can help thicken up the sound. If you wanted one pedal to experiment with a Boss RV-3 has decent delay and really good reverbs. I personally like those pedals to be separate but this is a good pedal and will help get you going. Compressors are subtle, but if you know how to use them can be a really nice effect to have.

All of that is coming from me playing guitar. I've never had an electric uke but you're just talking about the upper registry of a guitar. If I had an electric uke my first effects would be delay, reverb and OD of some sort... then a compressor.

I've dabbled a bit with pedals. I'm trying now to keep it simple. A little overdrive, a little delay, a little reverb. I've had a Fuzz now for a couple of months. I think I'll be keeping it. Gave my looper and Beat Buddy to a friend....may come back to them when I'm ready.....have an octave/pitch pedal in the marketplace right now.......didn't do much for me....

Pedal are a heck of a lot of fun......but finding something that works with a short scale, 4 stringed instrument can be a challenge, also what works with your gear set up and the types of music you are playing.

There are some decent videos by Jake S., Manitoba Hal, and Ukulele Wales

IMG_3659.jpg

Current Pedal Board. I run a Risa Tele uke through the tuner and the A side to a Supro Delta King 12 tube amp and a Godin Multiuke through the Platinum Pro and the B side to a Fishman Loudbox mini. The OD 3 and the Fuzz do not work well with the Godin but the rest of the pedals do.

Last edited:
I’m a big fan of time and modulations effects (reverb/delay, and chorus/flanger). Overdrives and fuzzes are just not my thing. Maybe a subtle boost when needed (tube driver with the gain set low.?) for classic rock. What amp(s) are you using?

I have all the usual suspects: fuzz, flanger, overdrive, etc. But I'll tell you the one that I want is a compressor/booster.

Something I just thought of: since you mentioned rock and strumming, maybe you could look into what was used by the great strummers, the rhythm guitarists such as Rudy Schenker, Malcolm Young, etc. I think most of our suggestions are based on soloists. I know mine is.

I don’t know how much Malcolm’s signal would help. He was huge into straight lines from guitar (usually with just the bridge pickup selected) into a cranked, clean-ish amp. He also - and I don’t mean this in a bad way - didn’t have much nuance. Angus said Malcolm told him not to tickle the guitar but to HIT it and he was no different (though Angus still has more nuance). He’s the only guitarist I know of that wore away a pick in the span of one show. Just chewed right through it with his attack.

I don’t know how much Malcolm’s signal would help. He was huge into straight lines from guitar (usually with just the bridge pickup selected) into a cranked, clean-ish amp. He also - and I don’t mean this in a bad way - didn’t have much nuance. Angus said Malcolm told him not to tickle the guitar but to HIT it and he was no different (though Angus still has more nuance). He’s the only guitarist I know of that wore away a pick in the span of one show. Just chewed right through it with his attack.
It was worth a try because I know a lot of us collected our pedals because they were used by our favorite lead players like Randy Rhoads or Van Halen and that doesn't seem to fit the situation here where strumming is more important

Sure. I think that a lot of rhythm guitarist’s can serve as good based to build from - even better to build from one-guitar groups where they have to play lead and rhythm. I was just saying Malcolm Young in particular wouldn’t be a great person to base pedal purchases on since he rarely (if ever) used pedals.

Brian Setzer released an instruction VHS ages ago where he walks through his uses of pedals, though. That might be a good thing for the OP to search on YouTube for.

Every time I see a pedals discussion on UU I want to say this or that and then write nothing because my only advice is not helpful, so I keep it to myself. (that advice is to buy an electric guitar, they are super fun)

Never played a fanner. They look nice though. Recently, I added a Donner DEL-8i2 4 channel mixer to separate the drums and bass signal from my Digitech Trio Band Creator pedal from my uke effects. One less cable to my amp. Clean drums and bass. And, I can offer an input for a friend when needed. This budget pedalboard was made from a recycled pull out keyboard shelf. It's heavy, ugly, and cheap. But it works. It, and my amp are powered by a 160 watt Lithium battery box. I like that it has a width and profile low enough that my mic stand can straddle it in the center. I might try a wire closet shelf next to reduce weight. I need more pedals. The Mooer Prime desktop thing looks interesting. 1pedals.jpg

Last edited:
What pedals do you all recommend for a solid body steel string Tenor uke(Fanner exosphere).
I’m thinking Boss OC-5 octave pedal and either overdrive or fuzz. I’m strictly a strummer trying to just add some more sound more warmth and depth for classic rock..Van Morrison, Springsteen etc
I’ve got a fanner jazzmistress with P90 pickups and use a Boss ME-80. I originally got it for guitar but it works just as well with a solid body Uke. Depending on what you’re looking for it may be a bit overkill, but it’s totally programmable and you can also download new patches, there’s literally hundreds to choose from. That being said, I haven’t got passed the pre-sets and my own mod’s yet. Clean or overdriven, it seems to suit all occasions. The only caveat is it’s size, it ain’t no single stomp box. 👍

Compressor (optional), boost (compressor might be able to double as boost), dirt (overdrive or fuzz), modulation (flanger is probably the best), and delay (optional). You can probably get everything you need in just 3 pedals or so.

I'd recommend three pedals: reverb, chorus & compressor. Haven't had any for years, but I recommend Boss cuz they're built like tanks.

Recently got a Boss OC-5 - bought it to fill out the bottom end when I play finger style guitar. There's a setting where it will synthesize a note an octave below the lowest note being played. Sort of but not really like having a bass player. It also has an octave above, which makes it seem like a 12 string guitar (or 8 string ukulele) which you may find useful. One thing to note is that there some latency.

Top Bottom