Parlor guitar search

It’s nice to see the Godin family guitars all made in Canada mentioned so much. I have a Norman folk size guitar that is roughly the same size as a classical guitar. These are fairly affordable instruments. LaPatrie is their line of classical guitars.

I’ve also been really impressed with the Eastman guitars. I actually have an Eastman dreadnought that I haul around for teaching. I got it from a student who can’t seem to stop buying affordable Eastman guitars. He has a bunch!

If you can find a used one, the Larrivee parlors are quite nice. I can remember when you could find one for $400-500 on Craigslist. Alas, they seem to be much more expensive now.

Good luck! (Or maybe you have found one already!)

Yes, I have found a 15 year-old Seagull Coastline Grand! It has a little road wear but plays and sounds just fine. I think it will be plenty of guitar for my modest needs. I’m planning to donate my Alvarez and my first guitar— a super basic Yamaha classical— to our local Junior Appalachian Musicians (JAM) program. This is a regional organization offering free music lessons to young people: https://jamkids.org/
Ours is very active and always looking for instruments. It makes me glad to think that my big old Alvarez might have a new life with someone starting their musical journey, instead of sitting in its case at my house.
Thanks to you all for your thoughts and suggestions!

I’m a longtime lurker in the uke section, but this is my first post. I’m searching for a parlor-sized guitar at a moderate price, mostly for fingerstyle and some folky strumming/picking. I have an Alvarez Yairi dreadnaught that was probably never the right guitar for me, but after a long time away and the switch to ukes, it’s just too much in every way. The guitar will likely stay a secondary instrument for me, but I do want it to sound good and play well— I’ll only have one. Two I’ve been looking at, both cedar-top, which is my preference (some classical guitar background), and both about a 25” scale.
- Breedlove Discovery Concertina — 12 frets to body, narrower nut width, widely available
- Seagull Coastline Grand — 14 frets to body, wider nut width, out of production so would have to search for a used one— fine if it plays well
Any recommendations from folks who are familiar with either of these, or advice about how much noticeable difference the fret # or nut width might make? I live in a rural area, and don’t have a good option to try a lot of different things out. Thanks in advance to this generous, knowledgeable community!
Last year one of the members here offered a rare Ovation parlour for trade. This is probably at least two or three notches above your examples, but maybe he still has it and sells for reasonable price.

Arrived yesterday, just in time for Santa to gift it to me!

Still not sure how I was able to get it to Florida from Thomann cheaper than any US dealer.

Top Bottom