Parlor guitar search

Valour

Reaction score
I’m a longtime lurker in the uke section, but this is my first post. I’m searching for a parlor-sized guitar at a moderate price, mostly for fingerstyle and some folky strumming/picking. I have an Alvarez Yairi dreadnaught that was probably never the right guitar for me, but after a long time away and the switch to ukes, it’s just too much in every way. The guitar will likely stay a secondary instrument for me, but I do want it to sound good and play well— I’ll only have one. Two I’ve been looking at, both cedar-top, which is my preference (some classical guitar background), and both about a 25” scale.
- Breedlove Discovery Concertina — 12 frets to body, narrower nut width, widely available
- Seagull Coastline Grand — 14 frets to body, wider nut width, out of production so would have to search for a used one— fine if it plays well
Any recommendations from folks who are familiar with either of these, or advice about how much noticeable difference the fret # or nut width might make? I live in a rural area, and don’t have a good option to try a lot of different things out. Thanks in advance to this generous, knowledgeable community!

I’m a longtime lurker in the uke section, but this is my first post. I’m searching for a parlor-sized guitar at a moderate price, mostly for fingerstyle and some folky strumming/picking. I have an Alvarez Yairi dreadnaught that was probably never the right guitar for me, but after a long time away and the switch to ukes, it’s just too much in every way. The guitar will likely stay a secondary instrument for me, but I do want it to sound good and play well— I’ll only have one. Two I’ve been looking at, both cedar-top, which is my preference (some classical guitar background), and both about a 25” scale.
- Breedlove Discovery Concertina — 12 frets to body, narrower nut width, widely available
- Seagull Coastline Grand — 14 frets to body, wider nut width, out of production so would have to search for a used one— fine if it plays well
Any recommendations from folks who are familiar with either of these, or advice about how much noticeable difference the fret # or nut width might make? I live in a rural area, and don’t have a good option to try a lot of different things out. Thanks in advance to this generous, knowledgeable community!
My 29-y-o son has never regretted buying his Seagull dreadnought. He had his heart set on, and had saved up for, a Martin but paid far less for the Seagull and, IMHO unless that guitar is going to earn you a living, there is no measurable difference in sound or playability.

I’ve found that on ukes nut width can make a huge difference in how easy/difficult it feels to reach for different chords.

Even if you can’t play these exact models in person, can you find two models locally with the same nut widths, so you can see how each width feels to you before deciding?

I have an Art & Lutherie Ami Cedar palor guitar that I'd recommend. A&L and Seagull are divisions of Godin.

When I was looking into them, Eastman parlors were well thought of - E20P and E10P. (Wound up getting a grand concert but probably would have been better off sticking to parlor size.) Also, if you like Yairis like I do, their parlors would be good I bet.

I would certainly consider looking at some of Taylor's lower end instruments- fantastic sounding and playing at very reasonable prices! Their Grand Concerts are their small body line- and fantastic. Have a slightly wider nut width- and fantastic necks.

I like a Taylor GS Mini Mahogany for what you describe. For me at least it is my go anywhere do anything guitar. I only own two guitars, the GS Mini and a Guild D-20 dreadnaught, so the Mini fills a broad niche for me.

Last edited:
I have a Taylor 712- mid-'70's vintage- absolutely LOVE it!

Maybe check out Breedlove's Organic line (also from China but all solid). Somehow, the Organic line is about the same price as their Discovery line (which is just solid-top).

E.g. (currently 47% off at $360)
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/gui...oncertina-cutaway-ce-acoustic-electric-guitar

(I've never played or even touched any Breedlove guitars; I just remembered their weird pricing from a while back).

I don't find the nut width or 12-fret vs 14-fret to be much of an issue (I have guitars that cover all these ranges). I do find that parlor guitars (steel string) definitely don't sound as good as even just a slightly bigger body (as in concert-sized) guitars. There are lots of concert-sized choices (Martin 000, Taylor xx2). If I'm shopping, I'd look at The Taylor Academy 12 or 22 (BTW, there's currently a Taylor sale where if you buy an Academy or above, you can also get a GS Mini for $200, https://www.taylorguitars.com/gift-event/us )

The Martin D-Junior is a good-sounding little flattop guitar.

I have an Alvarez Yairi parlor size guitar that I love. Sweet sound, great action, cedar top. I was looking at a Taylor or a Martin until I tried the Yairi...
I've had it for about 30 years. 20210922_090041.jpgUpper left...

Taylors are excellent, but may be more than you want to spend. I have an Art & Lutherie Ami, and it's a fun little thing. But my best quality parlors are my Tacomas. Made in the US in the Pacific Northwest, Tacoma stopped manufaucturing some years back. Fender bought them out and basically killed them. But if you can find one used you'd be getting a helluva great small guitar. They had some finishing issues with their polyurethane, so some (many?) may have the dreaded Tacoma finishing shed - it bubbles up and lifts away, Not all their guitars had this problem, and some that did had gotten refinished. Tacoma rivaled Taylor and Martin in sound and quality.

Thanks all for the suggestions! I've looked at the Martin 000jr and Taylor mini, and those are good options toward the upper end of what I'd like to spend, but I'm still hoping to find a cedar top. Getting back to guitar will be a less serious pursuit than getting better at playing ukulele, so I'm budgeting accordingly. I did find a different Seagull model locally to try, and the neck and nut width seemed comfortable. I'll add a couple of these to my list and keep looking.... Thanks again for the thoughtful replies!

If you can get the Seagull Seagull Coastline Grand for a good price, I suggest going for it. It ticks all the boxes, Cedar top, moderate width neck. well built by our friends in Canada. If you want to spend a little more consider Takamine P3NY. I've owned Takamine's and a Seagull previously (regret selling all of them). I've also been researching parlors to switch from the huge Dreadnaught. The Pono Parlor guitars at "The Ukulele Site" meet all my criteria; just wish I had a chance to play in person. I need to go back and look at the Pono Parlor just posted in the "Marketplace". If any one has experience with the Pono Guitars, please share your opinion,

Yes, that Pono in the Marketplace is beautiful! It ticks all my boxes too, except price :). Thanks for the Takamine rec too. Good luck with your search…

Go to the review section, where Bazmaz has posted about the new Donner "plastic" U ...ukulele... take a look at the internal bracing pictures... you could walk on the face and then still crush ice with this one... and it would still be playable. Beyond solid.

Check it out... posted today...

I've owned the the Art & Lutherie (Ami) and Simon & Patrick parlors, both Godin brands and both were excellent for the money. (I'd take either over a Larrivee parlor; the two i had were very boxy sounding and just felt "stiff".) Presumably the Godin Seagull would be excellent too, and as it's more common, likely would be easier to find used.

However, the Pono is definitely a cut above, and to my mind, worth the extra money. I have an O-10 (slightly larger than the parlor-sized L) -- cedar top, acacia b&s, and a truly outstanding guitar -- comparable to my Martin 0-18, which runs about twice as much.

Last edited:
I really like my Alvarez AP70 - solid top, plywood back and sides. There's also an AP66 that has a beautiful dark finish. Don't know the differences in specs between AP70 and AP66. You didn't specify what "moderate price" means exactly, but the two guitars I mention are in the $300-400 range, I believe. Like so many modestly priced instruments, mine needed a good setup with especial attention to string height at the nut.

For me $300-400 guitar is "moderate price". If your main instrument is a $7500 custom, "moderate" might mean something quite different.

I really like my Alvarez AP70 - solid top, plywood back and sides...
I had an Alvarez AP70, that I got in trade. Shortly after, I realized why it was traded to me. This one had warping issues. Sometimes you win, and sometimes you get taken.

I had a Breedlove Organic Concertina. It was a nice guitar for the money but it's bigger than a parlor. It was almost the same body size as my Martin 000-28. It may be worth looking at the Breedlove Companion series, their "new" small body travel guitar.

Attachments

• IMG_8860.JPG
    IMG_8860.JPG
    411.4 KB · Views: 3
Top Bottom