Opinions on "Bondi-Shock Rock Hard Case" (Australia) ?

moonlessbag

Reaction score
Hello all! I'm in Melbourne, Australia and have been in search of a good hard case for my soprano ukulele. I've found that there isn't a huge supply of hard cases once you start looking - not local ones, anyway. Postage from overseas to Australia is pretty steep at the moment.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with this hard case? Is it a good quality item? Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

https://www.ukulelemate.com.au/collections/hard-cases/products/hardcase-soprano-black

don't mean to sound flippant,
but in my opinion any hard shell case you
buy will do the job.

I don't want to disparage this case, as I haven't seen it in person or used one, yet, it's not a traditional "Hard" case at all.
It looks like a semi-hard foam case to me that may have been upgraded a little.

I personally don't mind the foam cases, they have pluses and minuses, yet its not a traditional plywood shell hard case.

Thanks for the recommendations! I didn't realise that the Bondi Shock-Rock one wasn't actually a hard case. Cheers all!

Thanks for the recommendations! I didn't realise that the Bondi Shock-Rock one wasn't actually a hard case. Cheers all!
It's a semi hard case.
As always there are swings and roundabouts in this World, and in some situations it may actually offer better protection to the instrument than an older style "hard" case, yet I wouldn't want to stand on it.
Are you aware of the Acoustic Centre on Park St South Melbourne?
They usually have a good range of ukuleles and accessories.
Also Lord Uke in Northcote.

It's a semi hard case.
As always there are swings and roundabouts in this World, and in some situations it may actually offer better protection to the instrument than an older style "hard" case, yet I wouldn't want to stand on it.
Are you aware of the Acoustic Centre on Park St South Melbourne?
They usually have a good range of ukuleles and accessories.
Also Lord Uke in Northcote.
I was aware of Lord Uke (where I got my first uke - an Ohana SK-39!) but not the Acoustic Centre. Thanks for the tip!

My wife gave me a Mr. Mai concert uke for Xmas. It came in a very similar case. The description of the Bondi-Shock Rock Hard Case says the outer case is "Leatherette." The outside of the Mr. Mai case is hard ABS Plastic withe what looks like identical handle and zipper tabs lock. (Some luggage makers use this type of system.) The sections of the plush-covered interior look the same. With an open center "compartment" without a lid. I've seen other brands that also use this type of case.

It's an okay case. It should offer more protection than a canvas/foam semi-rigid case. Especially from penetration. But less than an ABS Crossrock hard case or the ubiquitous covered-wood hard case would provide.

I am not a fan of hard cases with a zipper that goes around most of the circumference. They can sometimes get caught on the plush, and a zipper will allow the humidity from a humidifier to escape quicker than a hard case with an overlapping lid and sides with latches.

Best of luck with your search.

I have an ABS case that looks a lot like the Xtreme, but branded differently.
It is pretty neat. My only complaint is that the clasps and strap rings "clacks" against the plastic in a way that sound cheap.

ABS has the advantages of being lighter and more weather resistant, if you carry your ukulele around.

Plywood cases has the advantages of offering more protection and stacking better, if you need to store a lot lot of ukuleles or throw them in the trunk of a car together with other gear.
I like both 🙂

"Offering more protection", is a very difficult claim to make.
In what situation are we talking about?
If you dropped the case, or threw it off the roof?, or dropped it from a bicycle, I suspect that the zipped up semi hard cases would work better, as they would stay together better, and offer better impact absorption to the instrument inside.
In this situation I worry that a traditional latched plywood case would warp and the latches let go, spilling the instrument on the ground, giving it no protection at all.
In a static situation where someone stood or sat on the case, or some other heavy object crushed the case, a traditional plywood case would work better.
Always swings and roundabouts.

"Offering more protection", is a very difficult claim to make.
In what situation are we talking about?
If you dropped the case, or threw it off the roof?, or dropped it from a bicycle, I suspect that the zipped up semi hard cases would work better, as they would stay together better, and offer better impact absorption to the instrument inside.
In this situation I worry that a traditional latched plywood case would warp and the latches let go, spilling the instrument on the ground, giving it no protection at all.
In a static situation where someone stood or sat on the case, or some other heavy object crushed the case, a traditional plywood case would work better.
Always swings and roundabouts.

That all sounds really correct all of it, my phrasing might not have all the variations taken into account.
In my examples I also suggested the wooden case for being better if statically loaded by other music gear in a car trunk. If dropped from a bike, you are probably right.

I bought an ABS case myself for the situations where I might want carry my uke while bicycling, also because it will probably work just fine. Besides handling a bit of rain better 🙂
I suspect that the first case the OP found would also work fine, perhaps even with less noise.

Last edited:
... Plywood cases has the advantages of offering more protection and stacking better, ...
A couple of minor observations:

Many of my hard cases such as the O'ahu/Ko'olau wood cases have bowed tops. The bottom feet are not long enough to allow them to stack flat. I have a couple of other brands, like the Kala Tweed and Guardian, that have flat tops and stack just fine.

Crossrock ABS and O'ahu ABS cases have rounded tops and a pebbled or diamond patterned surfaces. I wouldn't recommend stacking them flat because they will readily slide off. (Ask me how I know.)

I do agree about the traditional latched cases. If dropped from a roof or substantial height most likely they will fail. I have seen a couple of mine dropped by a bellhop or fall off a table and they did fine. But, they were both four-latch cases and weren't locked.

I was told by a luggage/case maker that you should get a case with three latches or more. If it only has two, and you don't latch one of them properly (I've done this when in a hurry), if you snag the other one or knock it the wrong way accidently, it's going to pop open and the contents can fall out.

Mostly, my cases sit at home and I use a very good zippered gig bag (I used to use a zippered canvas/foam case) to take to gigs and club meetings because I can keep my strap attached and it's quicker to pack up than a tight hard case. Travel I use a fiberglass or ABS case.

Last edited:
Top Bottom