One Uke Only

don_b

Reaction score
Everybody has multiple ukes, but who around here has only one? I had 8 this time last year. I now have 1. It is a Kiwaya KSU1L. I like to have only one ukulele because I find when I have multiple, I want even more. When I only have one, I am less liable to buy another because I know I’ll only play the other one. When you have 8, you’re always playing each one a little, maybe some not at all, but there are so many you don’t notice. In my experience at least. I also like feeling like I’m not looking for another uke.

Anybody else just got the one?

(this is supposed to be fun, so if you have 2 ukes and one of them is just the trash uke that your kids play, that is fine, because you wouldn’t ever claim ownership of it anyhow).

My ideal situation would be to have just one uke, the holy grail. (I have one on order that just might be THE ONE.) But even then, I might like to have a Risa stick for practicing quietly in bed. Oh, and maybe a Magic Fluke to leave sitting out in case of sudden inspiration.

I can’t have just one because I want with high G and one with low G. I currently have 3 but will probably sell one. In any event I am in “one out for one in” mode so could t get another unless I get rid of one. Maybe I should just buy 2 of the same model?

I can’t have just one because I want with high G and one with low G. I currently have 3 but will probably sell one. In any event I am in “one out for one in” mode so could t get another unless I get rid of one.
Wanting both a High and a Low G is what started me on multiple ukes for sure. I stick with High G for now.

Mostly, no comment... other than "if I had to," there would have to be two: one soprano in GDAE, and the other a concert in "re-entry baritone" tuning.

Last edited:
If I lived in a climate that let me keep mine out of a case in winter, I might own a regular uke and a banjolele (our club plays bluegrass gigs when the International Bluegrass Music Association’s festival is in town. Plus, I enjoy the change of pace). But I doubt it. I play soprano and concert scales, love my three Magic Fluke ukes, and like to pick up different instruments when the mood strikes. I’ve had as many a dozen. Down to nine and have no desire to add or subtract.

Didn't this whole thing originate with that old Western saying to "beware the man with one gun, he knows how to use it." ??

Thats horse feathers....

I could live with four if I had to. Two tenors, one High G and one Low G, a High G concert, and a DGBE baritone.

Fortunately, I don't have to. :p

Wanting both a High and a Low G is what started me on multiple ukes for sure. I stick with High G for now.
Wish I could do that but I like high G for Campanella and low G for some jazz. If I had to pick one I too would probably go for the high G only but that’s still a tough call for me. Otherwise I am TRYING to be content.

Everybody has multiple ukes, but who around here has only one? I had 8 this time last year. I now have 1. It is a Kiwaya KSU1L. I like to have only one ukulele because I find when I have multiple, I want even more. When I only have one, I am less liable to buy another because I know I’ll only play the other one. When you have 8, you’re always playing each one a little, maybe some not at all, but there are so many you don’t notice. In my experience at least. I also like feeling like I’m not looking for another uke.

Anybody else just got the one?

(this is supposed to be fun, so if you have 2 ukes and one of them is just the trash uke that your kids play, that is fine, because you wouldn’t ever claim ownership of it anyhow).
I only own the DIY soprano Yowling Tomcat uke. Can't say I'm immune to UAS but in general, acquisitiveness isn't my nature. In marketing terms, I'm a late adopter. Been married to the same bride 30 years, have lived in the same home for 22, have owned the same banjo 36 years, my current cars are 15 years old & 8 and I still like both. 26 years ago, I swapped a well-used Winchester Model 94 rifle even for an almost-new Husqvarna Model 36 chain saw that's still going strong. My push lawnmower has a Briggs & Stratton engine that's at least 18 years old (same pull cord all these years, oddly enough). Though the mower bed is getting a tad rusty & wheel bearings are corroded, I fully expect the Briggs engine to outlast me if the hardware store continues to stock pull cord kits and the gasoline additive that counteracts the adverse effects of ethanol.
Wait! Did we just play a country song backward?
Cheers!

I only own the DIY soprano Yowling Tomcat uke. Can't say I'm immune to UAS but in general, acquisitiveness isn't my nature. In marketing terms, I'm a late adopter. Been married to the same bride 30 years, have lived in the same home for 22, have owned the same banjo 36 years, my current cars are 15 years old & 8 and I still like both. 26 years ago, I swapped a well-used Winchester Model 94 rifle even for an almost-new Husqvarna Model 36 chain saw that's still going strong. My push lawnmower has a Briggs & Stratton engine that's at least 18 years old (same pull cord all these years, oddly enough). Though the mower bed is getting a tad rusty & wheel bearings are corroded, I fully expect the Briggs engine to outlast me if the hardware store continues to stock pull cord kits and the gasoline additive that counteracts the adverse effects of ethanol.
Wait! Did we just play a country song backward?
Cheers!
I've had the same husband for 34 years but he's starting to wear out.

Mostly, no comment... other than "if I had to," there would have to be two: one soprano in GDAE, and the other a concert in "re-entry baritone" tuning.
We talking about 0 ukes tuned to standard gCEA?

Wish I could do that but I like high G for Campanella and low G for some jazz. If I had to pick one I too would probably go for the high G only but that’s still a tough call for me. Otherwise I am TRYING to be content.
I went with High G for a simple reason. I have more High G songs memorized. I had played more Low G songs, but they are more complex and I don’t memorize them (pop arrangements). Anyhow this is all very specific to my repertoire. But I decided I wanted to invest my time in High G because that is the type of ukulele that I will be able to perform the best on at a moments notice. I don’t know about everyone else, but I always have an irrational fear of proving myself. So I imagine somebody being like “oh you play uke here you go dude” and they hand me a Low G and I can’t do a ton with out without my sheet music. Of course, this situation will never happen. But ultimately I decided I wanted to get better at performing with the instrument without sheets, and I was already further along with High G.

I learned a lesson when I first started playing guitar when mine needed repair, that's why I would have a minimum of 2 in case one has to go in the shop.

Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
4 tenor thinline cutaway ukes, 2 thinline acoustic bass ukes, 5 solid body bass ukes
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member Cali Rose & The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I think @EDW only has one. A vintage Martin. I was down to two for quite a while but am suddenly up to 5 (not counting my Waterman which I never count as it is really just a toy for my kids).

If I could only keep one it would almost certainly be my Pohaku or my Weymann. Though I gotta admit even though it’s not a traditional soprano, the playability, tone, and bomb proof nature of my new Flea could make it a contender. I mean if I didn’t have any spare ukes maybe I would want something extra tough and even though I got it just to have as a “leave in the living room” instrument, I’m pretty amazed by what a great all around instrument it is.

Reactions: EDW
Top Bottom