One chord shape for all major/minor chords plus a song starter

Jim Hanks

Reaction score

In which we look at a single chord shape on the ukulele and discover how to make all major and minor triads with it, then see how to play many 4-notes chords with the same shape, and finally look at a song sketch using some of these 4-note chords.

This is really cool and fun! Thanks for figuring it out and sharing!

This is why whenever there's one of those "who's your favorite youtube/uke influencer" type of thread, I always mention Jim as opposed to some prodigy playing "Riptide" on a windy beach but with no wind in the recording. Jim keeps it real. No massive onslaught of post production, no lip-synching. Just a guy doing his thing.

Nicely Done! If I recall, James Hill has a simple, beginner, method to play St. James Infirmary using only Em, B7, and C6. You have opened up the concept to a lot of other chords with the same style fingering - many more interesting ideas. Lots of fun, and for me, a help in thinking about not using my (arthritic) pinky as much as possible. Thanks for this.

Nicely Done! If I recall, James Hill has a simple, beginner, method to play St. James Infirmary using only Em, B7, and C6. You have opened up the concept to a lot of other chords with the same style fingering - many more interesting ideas. Lots of fun, and for me, a help in thinking about not using my (arthritic) pinky as much as possible. Thanks for this.
One or two of those chord changes reminded me of "Hotel California." This is fascinating--thanks!

Nice! James Hill calls these chord twins and takes it a different direction from the same basic start.

I love the way you included the open string and demoed using your ears to figure out what works. Great way to visualize the audible!

I tried to pursue this idea with the triangle shape on the upper three strings for a dom7 chord and on the lower three strings for a minor chord. Or do I have my upper and lower mixed up? I can never remember. It isn't quite as epigrammatic as Jim's video. And for nice and slide-y shapes I have come to love the dim7 and augmented shapes.

I tried to pursue this idea with the triangle shape on the upper three strings for a dom7 chord and on the lower three strings for a minor chord. Or do I have my upper and lower mixed up? I can never remember. It isn't quite as epigrammatic as Jim's video. And for nice and slide-y shapes I have come to love the dim7 and augmented shapes.
I guess it depends on what "upper" and "lower" mean to you. It sounds like "upper" to you means closer to your face as you are playing. Those three things are a major chord. Its only dom7 for the B7 chord when you add in the other string. The "lower" 3 strings give a minor chord

It is harder to write about this than do it. I meant that if you make the triangle on the A, E, and C strings you have a rootless Dom7 chord.

Top Bottom