Old Guy West Coast

DrKoakai

Reaction score
While I have many Martins 1952 to IZ and Tiple plus 6 string Kamaka and Obama Bass Uke, I have taken a Fluke traveling to Hi and Europe. But I just bought an Outdoor Uke as it is bomb proof and I can paddle my canoe with it and hold a pint of Scotch in it if necessary. As noted by other Ukers the Fluke has a better sound and volume; but even Lyle Ritz would prefer to paddle his board with the Outdoor Ukulele. So at a very good $200+ it will be my new travel machine as I continue 70 years of GCEAing. My first Martin standard was repaired and refinished at 505 South St and today still has a terrific sound after being to hundreds of parties and suffering alcohol abuse. Thanks to the USF college guy who sold me his beat up uke for $5, to IZ who gave me the translation of my Irish surname, and to Sunny Palobrika and Willy K who gave me true Aloha.

Wow! Sounds like you have a lot of experiences already... welcome to UU!

And here you are - sharing a tip already... I'll remember not to use my wooden ukuleles as coasters...

CHEERS!

Welcome to UU, DrKoakai!
That's a lifelong of music and joy right there in your intro post!

Welcome to the UU Forum DrKoakai. Don't paddle your Outdoor Uke too hard, you'll have to retune it.

Keep on keepin' on. And enjoying your travels.

Welcome, but did you mean you have an Ohana bass uke, not Obama?

Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
4 tenor thinline cutaway ukes, 3 thinline acoustic bass ukes, 5 solid body bass ukes
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member Cali Rose & The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Welcome, but did you mean you have an Ohana bass uke, not Obama?

Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
4 tenor thinline cutaway ukes, 3 thinline acoustic bass ukes, 5 solid body bass ukes
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member Cali Rose & The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers
I had the same question, Mike. You beat me to the punch, LOL.

But if anybody has an Obama uke for sale we could meet at Kailua beach!

While I have many Martins 1952 to IZ and Tiple plus 6 string Kamaka and Obama Bass Uke, I have taken a Fluke traveling to Hi and Europe. But I just bought an Outdoor Uke as it is bomb proof and I can paddle my canoe with it and hold a pint of Scotch in it if necessary. As noted by other Ukers the Fluke has a better sound and volume; but even Lyle Ritz would prefer to paddle his board with the Outdoor Ukulele. So at a very good $200+ it will be my new travel machine as I continue 70 years of GCEAing. My first Martin standard was repaired and refinished at 505 South St and today still has a terrific sound after being to hundreds of parties and suffering alcohol abuse. Thanks to the USF college guy who sold me his beat up uke for $5, to IZ who gave me the translation of my Irish surname, and to Sunny Palobrika and Willy K who gave me true Aloha.
Welcome again, DrKoakai! Your post brought a question to mind that had been rolling around in the back of my brain. Any idea why companies such as Outdoor Ukulele don't offer composite sound bodies in pineapple or boat paddle shapes? In my opinion, it not only makes sense in terms of simplifying the extrusion/ printing process but also might help remove the centuries-old stigma of "it's just a toy guitar".

Top Bottom