"Oaken Shield" Tenor Uke from Dave's Extravagant Ukuleles

Reaction score
One of my "alternative" ukuleles , built of 100% reclaimed wood--and 100% oak native to the state of Michigan--top, back, sides, everything. Who knew that oak is a "tonewood"? I guess it's not, if you start out with a preconceived notion of what a ukulele must sound like. But I guess it can be if you are open to something non-standard--but still with good volume and a strong, clear tone suited to about any song you might want to play on it. In particular, though, this solid, hefty instrument seems to invite a strong "attack," and responds with a voice that carries authority. I am building two of these now, virtually identical to the one shown. Satin acrylic finish, Aquila Red strings (or as specified). $457 with free shipping in the US lower 48. Oaken 7-2021-2.jpgOaken 2 det.jpgOaken 2a.jpg

One of my "alternative" ukuleles , built of 100% reclaimed wood--and 100% oak native to the state of Michigan--top, back, sides, everything. Who knew that oak is a "tonewood"? I guess it's not, if you start out with a preconceived notion of what a ukulele must sound like. But I guess it can be if you are open to something non-standard--but still with good volume and a strong, clear tone suited to about any song you might want to play on it. In particular, though, this solid, hefty instrument seems to invite a strong "attack," and responds with a voice that carries authority. I am building two of these now, virtually identical to the one shown. Satin acrylic finish, Aquila Red strings (or as specified). $457 with free shipping in the US lower 48. View attachment 145345View attachment 145346View attachment 145347
That is cool! Do you have a sound sample?

Thorin would be proud 😎

That's
Thanks for asking. I'm having trouble loading a particular video, but you can go to my blog and scroll down to the post "An Extravagant Uke Pitch," which includes a demo of a slightly different version of the Oaken Shield. The link to the blog: http://extravagantukuleles.blogspot.com/
That's a great pitch, your son did a good job. Nice sound sample, thanks. I realize after watching that I've seen you Michigan ukulele I think on Etsy. Fun!

Top Bottom