New Uke Day (NUD) NUD : I got a Mango ! Makai MC-90 Concert

I'm thinking Waverly Strap Buttons for this one . Which color ?? (w/chrome screw) , White , Dark Tortoise , or Snakewood ?

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardware/strap-buttons/waverly-guitar-strap-button/

index.php

Image 12-20-22 at 11.56 AM.jpeg

I'm thinking Waverly Strap Buttons for this one . Which color ?? (w/chrome screw) , White , Dark Tortoise , or Snakewood ?
I bought the tortoiseshell and snakewood, because I couldn't decide just from the image, and installed the tortoiseshell:

16715815858580.jpg
I like the subtlety of the tortoiseshell with this wood. But the snakewood was nice, too. I don't live high contrast as much in this scenario, so I didn't want white or black.

I bought the tortoiseshell and snakewood, because I couldn't decide just from the image, and installed the tortoiseshell:

View attachment 146268
I like the subtlety of the tortoiseshell with this wood. But the snakewood was nice, too. I don't live high contrast as much in this scenario, so I didn't want white or black.
Mahalo ; I might have to buy all 3 . :)
I think the white would look smart matching the tuning buttons .
The Dark Tortoise from your photo doesn't look to be a match to my ukulele 's binding ; Snakewood looks to be a better overall match .

Mahalo ; I might have to buy all 3 . :)
I think the white would look smart matching the tuning buttons .
The Dark Tortoise from your photo doesn't look to be a match to my ukulele 's binding ; Snakewood looks to be a better overall match .
It's important to pick something that works for your uke! I'm glad that my photo could help you with that decision 😊

This ukulele is light , loud , and easy playin' .
It has a bright sweet island tone .
It's very bright ! I'm trying various type strings to tone it down but it's very bright .
Not what I would call a typically mellow mango . ( at least with the stock Aquila Nylgut )
It's easy playin' , light , loud , and resonant .
Old school island looks and sound . :)

By the way , I noticed TUS just listed the tenor version of this ukulele on their site .
It's a blem 2nd . $179 .
https://theukulelesite.com/shop-by/brand/leolani/makai-tenor-mt-90-all-solid-mango-blem-2nd.html

makai_mt-90_blem-1_1.jpg

Last edited:
Reverb has one listed but for $269. Think too high. I'm wondering when you say very bright it scares me off... so it's not between koa and mahogany? I'm thinking to save some more money and go for a Flight Fireball or even an Enya MG6 even though flashier.

Reverb has one listed but for $269. Think too high. I'm wondering when you say very bright it scares me off... so it's not between koa and mahogany? I'm thinking to save some more money and go for a Flight Fireball or even an Enya MG6 even though flashie
It's bright ; It doesn't sound like a typical Mango .

Thank you... that is what I gathered ... I think I'll shop some more... I'll wait for a marvelous mellow mango 🥭
You can tone down the brightness with Clear Nylon strings but I wouldn't call it a mellow mango .

Top Bottom