NGsnAD (New GuitarS & Amp day!)

GVlog

Reaction score
I've decided that it's time to get amped! :D

Over the past two weeks, I acquired a new Yamaha THR5A amp, a used mint-condition Yamaha CG-TA (the transacoustic), and a used mint-condition Yamaha NCX1.

The NCX1 already had an excellent set-up even though the original owner did nothing to it. It does need a new set of strings but is otherwise ready-to-go.

The CG-TA needs a little more work for my preferences. I'll be lowering the action to match the NCX1 and upgrading the tuning machines to a set of Hauser-style Der Jung's that I had. I might also ebonize the fretboard. It will also get a fresh set of strings when I'm done.

The amp pairs very well with these two and with my Islander AST-4-EQ. Yamaha did a nice job with the modeling capabilities and the Nylon setting on the amp is very pleasing to my ears.

IMG_0792.jpg

Wow, 2 new guitars and an amplifier, that is a BIG day. I have the same Yamaha amp, so do two playing partner/friends. Yamaha did do a nice job with those and the fact you can plug in or use battery power is super handy. Enjoy all the new stuff, it should keep you busy and engaged for quite a while.

Yamaha did do a nice job with those and the fact you can plug in or use battery power is super handy.
They certainly did. I know it's just a practice amp but now I'm wondering if they build these capabilities into a bigger rig.

I got the set-ups done. After doing a proper cleaning of the fretboard with fine-steel wool, I saw that the rosewood grain was lovely so I left it as is and just conditioned it with lemon oil. The re-stringing is done too with Savarez MRJP's installed on both.

And here is the headstock of the CG-TA with the new Der Jung tuners.

IMG_0802.jpg

The new tuners look great, very classy
Thanks. These are by Der Jung in Taiwan and they also make ukulele tuning machines that have high gear-ratios.

I had gotten these machines years ago (when they were only selling on eBay for ~$15 and still mostly unknown to the US and Europe). Der Jung's products are still very reasonably priced. This set now sell for $35 but the faux-shell knobs are no longer paired with the Hauser-style plates.

I know that Cordoba uses Der Jung for some of their higher-end classical guitars from China. I suspect that Yamaha uses them for their NX series guitars from China.

Top Bottom