NGD Ibanez tenor guitar

rustydusty

Reaction score
For quite a while now I've been looking at tenor guitars. Arthritis issues have hampered my 6 string playing for years now, then our bass player suggested trying a baritone ukulele. I found that I could play one for hours without pain or cramping in my fretting hand! So after three baritone ukes (that I played pretty much every day for the last three years), I found myself wanting steel strings again. Steel string baritones are hard to find and usually solid body electric ukes, which I wasn't interested in. I looked at some tenor guitars that were full sized, but really liked the compact size of my "baby Taylor" 6 string guitar. Finally I decided to purchase an Ibanez tenor which was virtually the same size as the Taylor. It arrived on Wednesday and I haven't put it down since! The fit and finish is really nice, the action is close and doesn't need a "set up", and sounds great. Lots of volume, deep overtones. My only complaints are the wound strings had corrosion on them, (I changed them out the next day) and it didn't come with a gig bag. I am using "Chicago tuning" by the way. The Ibanez is on the left, the Taylor is on the right...20220623_141804.jpg

Last edited:
Nice goin’, Rusty. Tenors are a lotta fun. I surely like mine, but it’s back to the Yamaha C40II for me. I think it needs a set up too. The action seems too high.

Anyway, Happy NGD! Have fun wid it.

I have one of those and love it! My uke hasn't gotten much use since I bought the tenor. I have it tuned plectrum style, CGBD, because I used to play plectrum banjo.

I think I have gone over to the "dark side"! I reach for my tenor guitar every day during my practice (decompress) time instead of a baritone ukulele. The nylon strings are just not working for me... I've tried to pick one up just to give it a little love, but after a few chords, I put it away and grab the guitar. Coming from an acoustic guitar background, I just couldn't get used to the sound and lack of sustain with nylon strings.

I think I have gone over to the "dark side"! I reach for my tenor guitar every day during my practice (decompress) time instead of a baritone ukulele. The nylon strings are just not working for me... I've tried to pick one up just to give it a little love, but after a few chords, I put it away and grab the guitar. Coming from an acoustic guitar background, I just couldn't get used to the sound and lack of sustain with nylon strings.

Congratulations on the Ibenez tenor guitar. I understand completely about the lure of steel string because of its added sustain resonance and projection. Enjoy

I have a "K+K pure mini" pick up coming in the mail today. Not sure if I want to install it myself and may take it to a local guitar repair shop. I considered getting a pick up with a Piezo under the saddle set up and a small mic mounted inside that included a graphic equalizer/tuner/pre-amp mounted on the side of the body but changed my mind as I didn't want that much wiring and weight...
I can't wait to try it plugged in!

Well...
I took my tenor guitar to a "luthier" on Monday to get the K+K pure pickup installed. Got it back today, pulled the guitar out when I got it home, and the first thing that I noticed was super glue spots on the front of the guitar... that's the first reason that I took to a "luthier" . I wanted the job done right. I could have installed it myself, but thought "let's get it done by a "pro" and there should be no problems". I would guarantee you that I would not have gotten glue on the front of the guitar, I would have taped it off. Really annoyed as it's a 45 minute drive from where I live. The guy has really good reviews so I figured I was safe. I called him as soon as I got home, and he says he can fix it. Now I have to drive back to his shop tomorrow and drop it off again and assume he can fix the finish and make the blemishes disappear. I take really good care of my instruments and have guitars that are 25-30 years old that look almost new. This guitar is barely a month and a half old...

Should have done it myself...

Infuriating when that happens. I always think it only happens to me. Hopefully you can remove it without any noticeable affects.
Anyway...how does the K+K sound?

I actually took it back to the "luthier" today. He was very apologetic saying he didn't realize that he touched it with super glue on his fingers (used to attach the K+K pickup). I left to run some errands, 45 minutes later got a call telling me he was finished. Lo and behold, the glue was gone, and the finish looked perfect. No blush or any signs that it had been repaired! He told that he "wet sanded" it then buffed it out. I have never taken an instrument to a repair shop before, and probably never will again...

Oh, and as for the "K+K", I was so traumatized about having super glue on the front of my new guitar, that I never tried it. Maybe later today when my wife is finished working in her office...

Finally tried it plugged in today and it sounds fantastic! This is the loudest and cleanest "passive" pickup I have ever used. It's no wonder that it got 5 stars out of 900+ reviews. I'm using a "CoolMusic 40D" rechargeable amp that really does the guitar justice, and with the pedestal, gives me easy access to controls when at a gig. I really like the fact that it doesn't require a "pre-amp". Right now the volume is between 2 and 3, and would be sufficient for a small venue. Not sure how it's going to sound cranked up to 11 for my stadium appearances... 😒🤪🙄20220806_103742.jpg

Thanks for that bit of info. Will have to check into that one.

I added a D'Addario micro tuner that mounts with a screw in the "tuning machine"
Out of sight, and I will always have immediate access when needed. We shall see how it holds up...20220808_142503.jpg

upgraded my tuners this week. "Semi enclosed" Musicalli 15:1 ratio set. Definitely not a top of the line, but better than what was on there. (This is a $200 guitar)20220905_073914.jpg

Top Bottom