New Uke from Portugal

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Wife and I got back from a week in Portugal late Sunday. The trip home took 23 1/2 hours, including layovers. We started off in Porto, Portugal’s 2nd largest city. It reminds me San Francisco, although much older. Before we went, I researched online and found Porto Guitarra, a little guitar shop that advertised Cavaquinhos and Ukuleles. So, I made it a point to go there to see if I could buy an instrument. And, I did. Here are a couple of photos of the little beauty, and one of the headstock showing the maker’s logo and initials. It’s an Antonio Pinto Caravelho. Tico, the owner of Porto Guitarra, told me that Caravelho’s workshop is only a few klicks from Porto. Tico had a nice selection of Portuguese instruments on hand. I picked this one out on the basis of it’s tone quality and appearance.
P Uke 1.jpg

P Uke 2.jpg

P Uke 3.jpg

What did you have to give up to find this one a spot in your music room? ;)

Send us a photo of what it looks like placed on your racks at home!

Is this classified as a ukulele? Looks like a "longneck" and thinner nut?

Wife and I got back from a week in Portugal late Sunday. The trip home took 23 1/2 hours, including layovers. We started off in Porto, Portugal’s 2nd largest city. It reminds me San Francisco, although much older. Before we went, I researched online and found Porto Guitarra, a little guitar shop that advertised Cavaquinhos and Ukuleles. So, I made it a point to go there to see if I could buy an instrument. And, I did. Here are a couple of photos of the little beauty, and one of the headstock showing the maker’s logo and initials. It’s an Antonio Pinto Caravelho. Tico, the owner of Porto Guitarra, told me that Caravelho’s workshop is only a few klicks from Porto. Tico had a nice selection of Portuguese instruments on hand. I picked this one out on the basis of it’s tone quality and appearance.
View attachment 144053

View attachment 144054

View attachment 144055
Hi VegasGeorge.

I'm from Porto (most beautiful city in the world ;-) ) and I purchased one my baritones on Porto Guitar too. It's a bit expensive cause he´s a luthier. I visited the APC factory near Braga and I could have saved a few euros, oh well..
I bought an APC too, but comparing it with the Kala I ordered with a similar price, I think APC is not that good.
If only I guess you would be around here I would have all the pleasure to show you around. Hope you had the chance to ear the portuguese guitar. That's a sweet and wonderful instrument.

Here's my Bari:

1664414528813.jpg

Congratulations! It looks really cool.

George, that is an excellent addition to your collection. Terrific that you have one from the birthplace of the ukulele. I hope it is as sweet as it looks and plays just as well. Enjoy.

Hey Pluribus, thanks for speaking up. I agree with you, Porto is the most beautiful city I've ever seen. I would like to go back there, but under different circumstances. I'd love to spend two or three weeks there, exploring the city by scooter. I was only there two days on this trip. And, I had no transportation. I was at the NH Jardin hotel, and I walked to Porto Guitarra and back. I got lost going in both directions! I've never seen so many ups and downs, and so many narrow streets and alleyways intersecting at odd angles. There must have been a thousand sidewalk cafes! On the way back, out of desperation I approached three taxi drivers who were conversing next to their cabs. I asked to be driven back to my hotel. They laughed at me, and pointed out that my hotel was just at the end of the block, and around the corner! I had a paper map, and my iPhone with GPS. That city is so complex that even that wasn't enough to get me oriented. It really is amazing!

Oh, about my new instrument. It is a limited, or special edition APC, or Antonio Pinto Caravelho. It is a Concert Ukulele. But, I learned that in modern parlance, Portuguese people just think of it a Cavaquinho. Of course, the historic Cavaquinho was more the size of a Soprano Uke, but that doesn't seem to matter. I carried the instrument with me, and played in public a number of places during the tour. I had several native Portuguese come up to me and call it a "Cavaquinho." So, that's how they relate to it.

Oh, about my new instrument. It is a limited, or special edition APC, or Antonio Pinto Caravelho. It is a Concert Ukulele. But, I learned that in modern parlance, Portuguese people just think of it a Cavaquinho. Of course, the historic Cavaquinho was more the size of a Soprano Uke, but that doesn't seem to matter. I carried the instrument with me, and played in public a number of places during the tour. I had several native Portuguese come up to me and call it a "Cavaquinho." So, that's how they relate to it.
Please post a cover of you playing it. Truly a gorgeous instrument and I suspect you didn't buy it only for its appearance.

Hey Pluribus, thanks for speaking up. I agree with you, Porto is the most beautiful city I've ever seen. I would like to go back there, but under different circumstances. I'd love to spend two or three weeks there, exploring the city by scooter. I was only there two days on this trip. And, I had no transportation. I was at the NH Jardin hotel, and I walked to Porto Guitarra and back. I got lost going in both directions! I've never seen so many ups and downs, and so many narrow streets and alleyways intersecting at odd angles. There must have been a thousand sidewalk cafes! On the way back, out of desperation I approached three taxi drivers who were conversing next to their cabs. I asked to be driven back to my hotel. They laughed at me, and pointed out that my hotel was just at the end of the block, and around the corner! I had a paper map, and my iPhone with GPS. That city is so complex that even that wasn't enough to get me oriented. It really is amazing!
Hi VegasGeorge.
Yeah there's plenty to see, to eat, to drink and to do in Porto.
You must experience a dinner in a Casa de Fados (house of Fado) just to ear that magnificent instrument (portuguese guitar) while you eat a bacalhau (cod fish). Fado is a sad song, with lots of stories of death, betrayal and lost love. It's kinda of dark (the singers must feel what they are singing) but reflects well our way of seeing the world. We are a very welcoming people but at the same time not very "party people" like the brazilians. Fado means faith in portuguese and generally a sad faith.
On the other hand, You can't go wrong with our wine and food.
If you return, I would be very happy to show you around.
Cheers.

Top Bottom