New Feature: Ignore threads and forums

Arcy

Strummin' in the Rain
Reaction score
We just enabled the ability to ignore threads and forums, so you can self-curate and skip threads that aren't of interest to you.

There's an Ignore button up by the thread and forum tools:
Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 9.24.29 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 9.25.17 PM.png

If you want to un-ignore something you can find them in your profile and unignore from there:
Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 10.23.42 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 10.24.13 PM.png

Last edited:
I'll make use of that with all the game threads, thank you.

Thank you for enhancing my reading pleasure! 😊

One question. If someone ignores a thread and someone @ mentions them, will they still be notified?

This is a great feature. I’ve already ignored a bunch of threads.
I don’t actually know the answer to this, but @TimWilson did tell me that you wouldn’t be notified if an ignored person @ mentioned you, apparently you wouldn’t even know if they private messaged you (brutal!), so possibly not.

I don’t actually know the answer to this, but @TimWilson did tell me that you wouldn’t be notified if an ignored person @ mentioned you, apparently you wouldn’t even know if they private messaged you (brutal!), so possibly not.
It would not be hard to test.

Hi!

No, I didn’t get an alert about being mentioned.
Hm. That is interesting, and, to me, unexpected. @Arcy is that what you would expect - if someone has flagged a thread as "ignore" that a direct @ mention in that thread will not trigger an alert?

I'll try and do some separate testing with my test account, too.

That is interesting, and, to me, unexpected. @Arcy is that what you would expect - if someone has flagged a thread as "ignore" that a direct @ mention in that thread will not trigger an alert?

This is the exact behavior described in the documentation for the Ignore add-on, which is why I cautioned people to be sure they really wanted it on when we first implemented it. 😁

Here's how far it extends: if you've set me to Ignore, I could DM you, and you STILL wouldn't get it. There's literally no way to poke through it.

At least that's the intent. No @ mentions, no DMs, no replies to your posts. If I recall, you can get a like from someone you're ignoring, and as far as I can remember, that's it.

That's intended to extend to threads as well, for sure. They don't show up in new posts , and they don't show up when you search . It's like they don't exist ! Now of course for most people that's exactly what you want ... But is it? That's up to you! But this is in fact the exact documented behavior. If it's set to Ignore, it will be ignored.

Somebody somewhere might be able to write a new add-on with some more nuanced controls, but I haven't found one.

Some folks have contacted me directly, worried about missing @ mentions in threads they're ignoring, or from people they're ignoring, and there is as far as I know only one workaround. Come to the site logged out, and search for your name, including the @ symbol. That way, the Ignore add-on won't be blocking visibility into whatever you've blocked.

Last but not least, I'd suggest checking your Ignore settings now and again to be sure it's doing what you want. You can find those settings on your profile page, where they are only visible to you. You can make any changes there if you'd like.

Your call of course! But seriously, if you set a person or a thread to ignore, it's like it doesn't exist. No takesies backsies or loopholes until you turn it off, which is fortunately super easy to do. 🙂

Last edited:
Thanks a lot @TimWilson that's very interesting. I knew about the ignore people thing being pretty significant, I didn't realize about the ignore thread being all or nothing. Hmm... Maybe I'd better go unignore some threads...

Game changer... I was getting so tired of all those word game threads bumping off the ukulele posts!

Everybody has their own way of doing the UU forums, and I love that people are enjoying the off-topic, general stuff. There's a lot of personal contact in those threads, so I want to do everything I can to encourage them to flourish...

... including keeping them away from prior who don't want to see them in their feeds! 😁 It's an old saying from New England (or maybe earlier, but that's where I first heard it) along the lines of "Good fences make good neighbors."

Room here for everyone, and we're all about helping folks customize their own experience. Look for some more cool stuff along those lines later in the year, too! Some of them will definitely take more time for us to build than grabbing this handy pre-made add-on, but you'll dig 'em!

It's 5:22am in Hawaii, but I'm on the case! No idea what happened, but I'll try to find out!

More soon!

Yep, my ignore threads are back. Also, when
I go to my profile there are a whole bunch of people listed that I never ignored!

Top Bottom