NBD, Journeyman, impatiently waiting...

Normally, I don't have to look when changing positions on the neck. But with a ubass or short scale bass, I NEED to look! Still amazes me that a ubass has shorter scale than guitar
It all depends on what you have been accustomed to. With a little practice, any scale will become muscle memory.

After playing my Journeyman at a practice session, I'm thinking of putting the Thunderbrowns on...and/or using my fretless for the concert.

After playing my Journeyman at a practice session, I'm thinking of putting the Thunderbrowns on...and/or using my fretless for the concert.
Did you ever put the Thunderbrowns on? If so, whaddya think of them?

I put Thunderbrowns on my Hadean, replacing the creamy Thunderguts it came with. I like that the Thunderbrowns feel more dry or raspy, and seem less “flooby”.

I still have to tune it every time I pick it up (three weeks later) so they are still stretching.

My goal was to get as close as possible to an upright sound, and to not sound like an electric bass guitar. I think the Thunderguts did well enough at that but also sounded too “rubbery”.

Yes, I turned up the bass knob and dialed back the mids a lot and the treble a little less. I’m also trying to play closer to the bridge but that is not easy for me.

It's heeere! 😁 🤙🎶
Amazing! $219, supposedly a blem, I can't find any blemishes. Not a fan of the round wounds, but it plays and sounds awesome! There's a little rattle if you don't fret properly, but if you fret properly it plays very nicely! Absolutely no complaints!!! I have Thunder browns to install, when I get a new nut. Or, decide to just file this one.
View attachment 147094
Hey that's cool!

Ok, I changed to the Thunderbrowns, pretty easy swap, had a nut from Kala, just chipped the paint a little removing the old nut. There's some fret buzz, I'll have to tweak the truss rod I guess, I'll let them settle for a few days, then deal with it, might have to add a shim under the saddle. As far as tone and such hard to tell at this point.

20230301_125050~2.jpg
20230301_125100~2.jpg
20230301_125111~2.jpg
20230301_125128~2.jpg

Sounds like a bit of work to get them on. Hopefully after a settling-in period, some of the fret buzz will ease up. Good luck!

The Thunderbrowns would be a better fit on something that already had poly strings for sure. I still prefer my old fretless with Pahoehoes!

The Journeyman seems to be a better fit for the round wounds it came with, or maybe flatwounds, although they are expensive to experiment with.

All of a sudden, when I click on a pre-read thread, it goes to the top instead of the last post!? What's up with that?

Back to original round wounds, the Thunderbrowns just needed too much tweaking, this Ubass works well with the metal round wounds. I can have a different feel and sound.

steel.jpg

Last edited:
Did you end up tweaking the truss rod for the Thunderbrowns, or did you decide not to mess with it?
I decided to not mess with it, the action was really high, nut needed sanded down, just not willing to go that far and mess up a good thing.

Top Bottom