my ukulele progress

The sun hadn't been seen for 48 hours which is a big deal in the desert. It wasn't nice on our side of the clouds but I bet it was nice on the other side. I wish I could have paid someone which an airship to take me on the other side where you could take a nice walk in the sun or play frisbee golf.

I am rather enjoying the wings on my manhasset. Something I realized is that you can extend the wings so that it is fourscore wide, but then push the wings in for storage when not in use. If I had bought a fourscore, it is always that imposing width.

I was focusing on the altered scale since that is one of the cornerstone scales. The altered scale is an exploded dominant chord. The fretboard has a lot of naturally occurring dominant chords. There are dom7's and 9's and m11's. There are also some add9's, sus chords, and augmented chords. And these chords are all made from 100% scale tones. I'm not even counting the countless other chords that are mostly or minimally connected to the scale. I picked these chords because you can strum them or arpeggiate them and them go right into picking the scale. When I have more time, I'll try to list out some of the pathways.

Yes, it has an extra lip underneath for pencils, violin bow, or what-not (ukulele tuner!). But if you have the Symphony, you can buy a little shelf-lip that attaches below and get the same benefit (in plastic though, not metal).

PS: You can also get a Manhasset stand with a mount for an iPad or such device.

PPS: One other difference between the Orchestral (which has the extra lip) and the Symphony is that the symphony comes in lots of cool colors--orange, purple, green, gray, sage, etc. Orchestral alas is only in black.

Here's the Symphony in purple!

Yes, I enjoy the different colours. The black ones look good for a stage, but in the home I find them a little jarring. I had an Amazon discount voucher so I have just ordered one for £51, which is a pretty good price for us across the water. Oh and I've made it a white one, so I shall be channeling my inner Liberace once it arrives.

I tend to think of altered dominants as belonging to the minor melodic modes. The 7th mode of a melodic minor scale is an altered dominant.

So for (say) A7alt, you could play a Bb melodic minor scale and hit all the altered milestones: b9, #9, #11, b13.

And following on from that, a lot of modern jazz progressions start to make sense once you realise that they have not the major modes but melodic minor modes as their basis.

I am rather enjoying the wings on my manhasset. Something I realized is that you can extend the wings so that it is fourscore wide, but then push the wings in for storage when not in use. If I had bought a fourscore, it is always that imposing width.
Good to know. I was wondering about that. This is the way to go, I think: Symphony model in an easy-to-live-with sage color, with the added lip below and extension wings.

I'm on a new quest. hard boiled eggs with my pressure cooker. There is the added complication that I am very particular. I like my albumen firm but the yolk needs to be oozy and not runny. If that makes sense. I don't prefer chalky dried out yolks but I don't want them to be runny and drip onto my shirt. I like the yolk to be a loose cream similar to consistency to a milk shake or a spoon of mustard. It is difficult to explain. I can attain such an egg in the conventional method but I want to do it with a pressure cooker. The pressure cooker is fast but it is also a very mercurial mistress. It requires some split-minute timing which is not as uncompromising as split-second timing but it is still touchy

I'm on a new quest. hard boiled eggs with my pressure cooker. There is the added complication that I am very particular. I like my albumen firm but the yolk needs to be oozy and not runny. If that makes sense. I don't prefer chalky dried out yolks but I don't want them to be runny and drip onto my shirt. I like the yolk to be a loose cream similar to consistency to a milk shake or a spoon of mustard. It is difficult to explain. I can attain such an egg in the conventional method but I want to do it with a pressure cooker. The pressure cooker is fast but it is also a very mercurial mistress. It requires some split-minute timing which is not as uncompromising as split-second timing but it is still touchy
Have you tried steaming? Several years ago, She Who Must Be Obeyed purchased this odd looking thing that resembles, and operates similar to, a shiny, stainless steel, many-holed umbrella. I think it's called a "steamer basket" and is a completely different animal from a "fryer basket".

When turned the direction that would be useless were it an actual umbrella, this contraption opens outward to fit snugly into a standard sauce pan. You first add water until the sauce pain is around one-third full, nestle several eggs into the concave surfaces within the much-perforated basket, and boil. The end result is yolks with the consistency you described, never chalky or green-edged. It works precisely as advertised, far better than many other kitchen gadgets we've purchased.

While on the subject, another great kitchen item perfectly suited to its task is a Toucan-beak-shaped combo of spoon and two-way avocado slicer. You use one end to slice through the skin to the seed, the other to safely and cleanly "pop" the seed out, and that same end is slotted to provide perfectly-thin slices. SWMBO's daily breakfast is a lightly fried egg with arugula, avocado and mushrooms, seasoned with umami and no salt. The aroma alone is a fabulous way to start a day. (Maybe it's just my imagination that one end is shaped like a Toucan's beak.)

According to urban legend, there are tons of ER visits each year due to folks trying to mimic servers at Mexican restaurants who stand by your table and remove the avocado seed with a whack of a large knife while holding the target in their other hand. Just typing that causes a cringe.

remove the avocado seed with a whack of a large knife while holding the target in their other hand
That's how I've always removed the pit. Slicing bagels is my nemesis, requiring emergency room attendance.
I like my albumen firm but the yolk needs to be oozy and not runny
I would have labelled that soft boiled, but that sounds like a lovely consistency. Good luck with that quest.
The pressure cooker is fast but it is also a very mercurial mistress. It requires some split-minute timing which is not as uncompromising as split-second timing but it is still touchy
Exactly.
seasoned with umami
Is this a product? I've heard of the taste quality but not using it as a specific thing (i.e. I know that mushrooms can have an umami quality).

That's how I've always removed the pit. Slicing bagels is my nemesis, requiring emergency room attendance.

I would have labelled that soft boiled, but that sounds like a lovely consistency. Good luck with that quest.

Exactly.

Is this a product? I've heard of the taste quality but not using it as a specific thing (i.e. I know that mushrooms can have an umami quality).
SWMBO buys umami seasoning at the [relatively] nearby Trader Joes. I believe it's the store brand. She uses it in place of salt. Obviously you have to figure out where it works and where it doesn't. It's superb on black beans, whether whole or refried.

sounds yummy - I like a hard boiled egg similar to you. But maybe just a trifle more cooked yolk than you. But I get it. I have gotten them "just right" to my fancy by accident just doing a conventional pot of water. all timing I guess . Best ones have been by accident. I don't like the yolks too hard , but not too soft either. Goldilocks hard boiled eggs. The yolk is tricky to get just right without it resembling a super ball or a oozy mess .

I have umami powder I received from nuts.com. I no longer have the packaging but I assume it is granulated mushrooms. Umami is the elusive fifth flavor and my powder approximates it very well.

I tend to think of altered dominants as belonging to the minor melodic modes. The 7th mode of a melodic minor scale is an altered dominant.

So for (say) A7alt, you could play a Bb melodic minor scale and hit all the altered milestones: b9, #9, #11, b13.

And following on from that, a lot of modern jazz progressions start to make sense once you realise that they have not the major modes but melodic minor modes as their basis.
everything you say is unimpeachable. Since I usually play in E I learnt this as the D# Super Lokrian for E melodic minor and the D# Super Lokrian bb7 for the harmonic minor.

The system I came up with for myself is based on the minor because the major makes no sense to me or my ears. If you were to steal my notebook you would see I base everything off the minor and consider the major as a mutation of the minor. Just look at the dotted frets: open string, 3, 5, 7, 10, 12. What do you have? root, flat 3, 4, 5, flat 7, root. The minor pentatonic. Stringed instruments are just made to play minor music.

you'll notice that I am not engaged in elenchus with you or anybody else; I'm just pontificating in vacuo.

everything you say is unimpeachable. Since I usually play in E I learnt this as the D# Super Lokrian for E melodic minor and the D# Super Lokrian bb7 for the harmonic minor.

The system I came up with for myself is based on the minor because the major makes no sense to me or my ears. If you were to steal my notebook you would see I base everything off the minor and consider the major as a mutation of the minor. Just look at the dotted frets: open string, 3, 5, 7, 10, 12. What do you have? root, flat 3, 4, 5, flat 7, root. The minor pentatonic. Stringed instruments are just made to play minor music.

you'll notice that I am not engaged in elenchus with you or anybody else; I'm just pontificating in vacuo.

Elenchus may be illegal in 14 U.S. states including NM. . . 🤣 Love your grasp, and use, of language, @ripock!

It is funny that you mention the illegality. A few years ago, I assisted a student in research about oral sex. I know that sounds like a set-up to a punchline but I helped the student find his sources for his project. I remember that oral sex was illegal in approximately half the states, so that if you and your significant other ever parted brass rags, then the significant other could vindictively initiate legal proceedings against you for performing illegal acts...whether they are consensual or not.

It is funny that you mention the illegality. A few years ago, I assisted a student in research about oral sex. I know that sounds like a set-up to a punchline but I helped the student find his sources for his project. I remember that oral sex was illegal in approximately half the states, so that if you and your significant other ever parted brass rags, then the significant other could vindictively initiate legal proceedings against you for performing illegal acts...whether they are consensual or not.
For some strange reason, your post reminded me of the great line in the movie version of Stephen King’s “Stand By Me”, directed by Rob Reiner.

The boys are standing near the railroad trestle and one comments that everyone is so slow that he could’ve already been to other side and alone on with his thoughts. The other boy’s response still cracks me up.

I won’t quote it here, but it’s worth googling.

I just returned from the market and I picked up some rather unusual items for me. I found a sticky note from my wife wanting some Moscato and peanut mixes. Luckily for me the liquor rep was at the market when I was there, so he was able to show me what was a Moscato was and direct me to a local vineyard's instantiation of one. This was very strange because my wife doesn't drink.

Speaking of drink, I had to toss aside a bad habit. During the pandemic I stopped training and started drinking beer. That much sugar-water isn't good for anyone. So I stopped that and started training again and bought a few items to allay my need for treats in lieu of beer. I bought some cheese and some chorizo (swapping out fat for sugar) and I bought the only admissible steak in my opinion, the porterhouse. I don't have a beef with beef; it just leaves me cold. I believe it is because when I was growing up the meal for 5 days a week was beef, vegetables, and potatoes. And my parents weren't rich so the beef wasn't the best even if it was constant. It was stuff like london broil and other middling cuts. So I have always been burnt out on beef and if I do indulge, it is only with the best cuts. So, yeah, I paid $13 for a steak and it will be a nice treat. A treat that will replaced a six-pack of beer which basically would have cost the same. However the steak will have more health leverages.

In case anyone wonders, I prefer my steaks pretty much raw. I will sear the outside for 20 seconds or so, but then eat the steak. I love gelatinous flesh. It is so tender. I did buy some shallots. I will make a little sauce for my unground steak tartare

You grow meat? Someone once asked me did you make that steak yourself. And I had to reply, no. Only god can make a steak, but I did cook it.
Ok I guess technically we raise the animals and slaughter them and turn them into cuts or ground or hams or... Then cook and eat them.

Top Bottom