My sound quality is absolute poo and I can't figure why

Voran

Reaction score
Any ideas? It doesn't help that I'm on an old, slow computer but buying a new one is not an option right now. I'd like to apply to join Offsquare Music's virtual sessions and I don't think attacking their ears with harsh, scrapey, glitchy input is gonna help.

-Make friends with someone who has a much faster computer with a really nice microphone and ask to borrow it for a few hours whenever you want to perform.
-Start one of those donation sites where people can donate to buying you new equipment.
- Rob a bank.

LOL! No seriously though I was wondering if it was something fixable. Someone told me to turn on original sound but I don't HAVE that option on this machine

I wouldn't bother to guess, since I have no idea what computer you use. There should be a return to factory settings options in your Settings-Reset Settings menu. I have no opinion whether that would work or not. Things you need to broadcast a quality video is, a good videocam/recorder, good microphone, lighting, talent and speed. Take one of these out and your quality suffers.

Which version of Zoom do you have? If you have a version after 5.3.0, which you must have because you can't join a Zoom meeting with an older version, then you should have something like this in your Audio settings. And then, once you join a meeting, you'll get an option in a meeting for "Original sound". It makes a huge difference - without it, Zoom will optimise for speaking and it'll think the ukulele is background noise. With any luck that'll fix everything!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 18.43.47.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 18.43.47.png
    271.8 KB · Views: 8
Which version of Zoom do you have? If you have a version after 5.3.0, which you must have because you can't join a Zoom meeting with an older version, then you should have something like this in your Audio settings. And then, once you join a meeting, you'll get an option in a meeting for "Original sound". It makes a huge difference - without it, Zoom will optimise for speaking and it'll think the ukulele is background noise. With any luck that'll fix everything!
Ok thanks I shall try this!

I have a work computer at home with Windows 7 and Zoom version 5.13.7 ,(which I just noticed is in keeping with what jtsteam says above about version compatibility-therfore this edit), My wife and I have been experimenting with Zoom lately mainly with the idea of getting passable sound while singing and strumming.

Voran,
What are you using for a mic?

Last edited:
I have a work computer at home with Windows 7 and Zoom version 5.13.7 and have had no problems joining Zoom meetings. My wife and I have been experimenting with Zoom lately mainly with the idea of getting passable sound while singing and strumming.

Voran,
What are you using for a mic?
Just the computer mike but I tried attaching an external one and it didn't do much

What external mic do you have, (brand and model)?
Can't remember, doesn't say, but I think it's immaterial, this computer is just run down and old. The sound is now only working at half speed and throwing distortion that sounds like a malfunctioning Terminator lol.

Think Imma have to get a new one

Wait, got it working some after restarting and running some updates.

I THINK in retrospect the noise issues may have been caused by running zoom in my browser rather than downloading zoom client...I'll see if this old machine can accept zoom client.

Excellent.
I did some testing with Zoom. I am going to start a new thread rather than hijacking this one.

Top Bottom