My Gripe About New Movies!

Disney has been churning out the same kind of stuff for decades. There's the main characters and their story and then there's the sidekick which is usually some kind of cute little animal or bug to provide the comedy relief or additional comedy.
Hah! Actually, "Moana" made fun of this, which I laughed so hard at:

Moana: I’m not a princess. I am the daughter of the chief.

Maui: Same difference.

Moana: No.

Maui: If you wear a dress, and you have an animal sidekick… you’re a princess.

... As you say..., laziness is the problem more than familiarity. But it's a huge freakin' problem for sure.
For them, but not for us. We have many other ways to indulge ourselves with very satisfying rewards. We choose, the lazies lose.

We will be taking a chance on Wednesday with "The Fabelmans" - no great expectations; just want a good story.

<edit> We went. We saw.
Preface: Any movie that is 2.5 hrs. long (think: Titanic) where you wonder where the time went (the whole purpose of going to a movie) is a good movie.

This is a typical Jewish (we are not) family in the late 1950s. I will tell you no more ... ... ... other that we liked it.

Last edited:
Someone told me awhile back that there are 7 basic plots to movies and that explains some of why some of us get annoyed with the repetition and formula stuff. I think I saw someone online says 36 but hey...here's the 7 that cover most movies I've ever seen.

The 7 story archetypes are:
  • Overcoming the Monster.
  • Rags to Riches.
  • The Quest.
  • Voyage and Return.
  • Comedy.
  • Tragedy.
  • Rebirth.
The rags to riches/underdog to hero type plots are the most tired to me.
As a past member of the American Film Institute screenwriting program, there are a few more:

Triumph Over Adversity (not just a monster)
Coming of Age
Love Lost then Found

Hah! Actually, "Moana" made fun of this, which I laughed so hard at:

Moana: I’m not a princess. I am the daughter of the chief.

Maui: Same difference.

Moana: No.

Maui: If you wear a dress, and you have an animal sidekick… you’re a princess.
I agree with the notion that many modern films are focused solely on being a spectacle without any deeper meaning or thought. I am also a fan of movies like "Jose Rizal," which is a powerful and emotional depiction of the life and contributions of the Philippines' national hero, Jose Rizal, to the country's fight for freedom. After watching the film, I read the summary and analysis of it on https://graduateway.com/jose-rizal-movie-summary-and-analysis/ and was impressed by how unique, and significant Rizal's life story is. I believe this film is a must-see not only for those interested in the history of the Philippines and the life of one of its most important figures but for anyone who believes in freedom and justice.
Whoooo. I always knew that I was a princess :D

Last edited:
Disney has been churning out the same kind of stuff for decades. There's the main characters and their story and then there's the sidekick which is usually some kind of cute little animal or bug to provide the comedy relief or additional comedy.
. . . and the death or absence of a parent, usually the father but (as in Lilo & Stitch) sometimes both.

Top Bottom