My Flying V needs a lil fixing, advice?

Voran

Reaction score
The nut is loose and keeps slipping out of place. How do I fixate it properly?

I've had my Flying V since I was 14, I'd rather not replace it.

The string tension should hold the nut in its slot. You can use some glue to help keep the nut in place when changing strings.

A small spot of superglue (CA) will do the trick. If you ever need to remove the nut in future, a sharp tap will shift it.

Yeah, the smallest dot of whatever glue you have. Superglue, wood glue, Elmer's. Just enough to keep it from sliding side-to-side.

On some nuts that have been slipping, the problem I have had is the glue.

There has been a lump of glue which has stopped sticking, but it gives the nut an irregular shape, so it will not sit properly under the strings.

I suggest that you loosen the strings and pull the nut out and inspect it. If it has a dollop of dead glue on it, carefully remove the glue so it is square again and it may sit under the strings without moving.

Also, this could be an opportunity to get a new nut made and invest in a set-up, with new strings, and possibly an improved tone?
This is for death metal, no one is going to either hear tone or give a crap.

Thanks for advice, I'll remove the nut and check for dead glue.

Update, yall: I successfully fixed the Flying V. Thankfully. I could get a new one, but this baby has been with me since I was a 14 year old girl who had just discovered heavy metal.

The first uke i bought was a red 'Redwood' Flying V, 2nd hand from Ebay only £17 +p&p, quite a bit cheaper than a new one, the best bit is that's it's signed by the metal band 'Dragonforce', (It's genuine as i contacted the band on FB along with a pic and they confirmed some guy brought it to a concert and they signed it) 🤘

Top Bottom