Music Theory for the Non-Musically inclined: Finding Home

Now that was a light coming on for me!

I knew it. I just didn't know it. Big difference.
Wiggy and LorenFL, I agree. My follow up question is, how does Bobby know it? Does it all relate back to muscle memory and actual (auditory) memory? Is it inherent to some people's brains, or is such knowledge not really "learned" but inherent to all humanity? Does this in and of itself explain why our otherwise-cantankerous, anti-social cat would sit, mesmerized, any time my son sawed his fiddle?

I want to expand on what I said, but I think the more I explain, the more obfuscated I will make my point. So let me just say I think sunrises are mathematical. They are predictable and reliable and you can calculate when the sun will rise in 4 days from now. Same thing with music. If you have a B note, the next note isn't random. It isn't mystical. There is a system. And if you know the system you will be able to anticipate the typical next notes which western music will put after a B. That's all I'm saying when I'm saying that music is mathematical. I actually have studied both newtonian and leipnizian calculus in college, but that's not the vibe I'm going for when I say music is mathematical; I am shooting more for a general mathematical/scientific mojo when I reference mathematics. Hopefully that makes sense, even if you disagree.
No, I get what you're saying and don't disagree at all. I've just been overcomplicating the idea and expecting a lightbulb moment and application of formulas or something, when I had actually recognized the predictability and pattern nature of music long ago. Not as a musician (not one), but just as a listener.

It's a logical fallacy to set fun and efficiency in opposition, whether you mean efficiency in learning or efficiency in thinking as you play. A "journey" can be both fun and efficient. Indeed, the more you know and can do the sooner, the more fun you typically have both quantitatively and qualitatively. For instance, there's a lot of boring rote learning that can be greatly reduced by applying pattern thinking instead of treating everything as a discrete special case, the way most people learn to play ukes.
Your perspective makes sense for you and some others, but not me. I am much more efficient by NOT studying more theory UNLESS it applies directly to what I am playing and interested in at the time. So all my efforts are guided by what I find I want to play at the time. And most of this is more related to technical skills than understanding theory.

This is guided by my very limited aspirations. With age, I hold no illusions that I will become accomplished at it. If I reach eleven years, I expect to be worse due to physical and mental deterioration. And the theory many advocate that I learn, will be forgotten or muddled. Thus the efficiency of not spending energy to learn theory unless I have an immediate need or desire for.

Related to the subject of this thread is the concept that you are a remarkable musical expert, but you just don’t know it. If you are intrigued by this statement, then you will enjoy the following article that explains the reasoning and science behind it. Fascinating subject.

Related to the subject of this thread is the concept that you are a remarkable musical expert, but you just don’t know it. If you are intrigued by this statement, then you will enjoy the following article that explains the reasoning and science behind it. Fascinating subject.

Thank you, Jan! That is a fascinating article!!

There are many levels of theory from very basic to highly complex that you are only exposed to if you study related subject at graduate level. I had good fortune of a classic education with music as elective, and I took lessons to play organ for several years with a teacher who also explained what all the notes meant. So I think I got a basic level of understanding in my youth. I still enjoy going to Wikipedia or google to read up on subjects that exceed those basics. But I think many people who learn uke on their own relying on video lessons and who don't have formal training in another instrument may not get those basics.

We have a system of music. Not much in it is natural or generated by magic or the universe, it is mostly designed and worked out by humans over 1000s of years of trial and error.

The parts which are gifts from the universe are: the 12 ratios we call intervals that are based on real harmonics and physics, a few audio frequencies which resonate happily with out hearing, singing and listening biology. An added benefit of the gifts is that if we stack frequencies generated by the 12 ratios in the right way, we can make interesting chords. A piano player theoretically can stack 10 frequencies, one for each finger, to make a nice sounding 10 note chord. An orchestra with 20 instruments can theoretically make a 20 note chord by stacking the frequencies or pitches.

If you want to find out about the 12 ratios or intervals, read about temperaments and intervals. A temperament is the system that is used to generate the pitches in the 12 note chromatic scale. Some of them are based on real physics and real lengths of string or tuned pipes, and some of them are mathematical models which model the physics. But if you play ukulele, it has all be done for you. The fretboard spacings and scale length and design and construction all go together so you just need to tune your ukulele and play it and it will work and you can play music. So you really do not need to ever do the math, or learn about intervals being ratios, or understand what a temperament is.

The audio frequencies which resonate with humans are often relegated to the world of woo woo, but they are real. Like C5 = 528Hz and A4 = 432Hz or 440Hz. Humans have worked out over the eons that there are audio frequencies which are best to sing along with and listen to, they were worked out by trail and error long before they were measured and given units like Hertz. Currently, the A4 frequency is used as the seed in a lot of the math used for design and construction, and the C pitch or note (without assigning a frequency) is used a lot as the reference point for music theory discussion. So the basic theory in music is: Let C be the pitch with the audio frequency .... The concept of the C note is a theory, it is not real, it is made up by humans. How many people reading this have a problem with the musical theory that C = a pitch played on the instrument?

Humans have taken these gifts from the universe and turned them into the 12 note chromatic scale, and it works because the math has been done for you, and your ukulele has been designed to play it for you. So you do not have to worry about the math, you just need to play your ukulele and its there. The math also makes the chords work if you follow the "rules" for making chords. All you really need to do to make nice sounding chords is to stack every second note in a major scale.

The scales and modes we use are all subsets of the 12 note chromatic scale, you may understand them a lot more if you study them as subsets of the chromatic scale instead of learning stuff based on steps by rote. If you first find the chromatic scale on your ukulele fretboard, its not hard. Then overlay the major scale on the chromatic scale, and the Natural Minor scales and the modes, you may find this quicker and easier than reading the theory and you will hear it and it may make a lot more sense? Note that first you will have to do a small amount of reading to find out the notes in a major scale and a minor scale etc..

You can also look up the notes in the chords and find them in the chromatic scale on your fretboard, and you will see and hear the patterns. There is no need to read volumes on chord construction, just find what notes are in a chord and play them on the chromatic scale on your fretboard and see and hear the patterns?

Learning to read Standard Notation and all the conventions and nuances is not "music theory", it is learning a form of music notation like the various forms of TAB. A lot music theory can be taught to you while you are learning Standard Notation, so it may get confused with theory. But Standard Notation is actually no different from computer languages, except it is in a graphical form. It has headers, global variables, rules, sub-sections, loop and so on. If you are already computer savvy and want to see how Standard Notation is like a computer language, do the tutorials for ABC Notation. If you do not relate to computer languages, look at Standard Notation as a complicated form of TAB, instead of seeing it as musical theory.

So you can learn a lot about music without getting into the math that has already been done for you, just by learning some basics like the chromatic scale, on your fretboard as well as on paper, and then you have a sound base to work from and most of the "theory" will be a pattern on your fretboard that you can play and hear, and there wont be a lot of rote learning needed.

Note that learning is different from training and practice, it may be easy to do the learning part in your brain, but training and practice will involve a lot of boring repeats and stuff like that because that is what a human body needs to be able to play accurately and in time.
Quoted for posterity.

Also, Bill1, could you please point me to a good source that explains the actual math that has already been done for us - like what determines the actual frequencies that are pleasant/work for humans, how those frequencies relate to each other - the fundamentals. I'm one of those who needs to understand the foundation and physics of things and would prefer advice from someone who's already been there, rather than a blind interwebs search.

If you understand math, look up the Equal Temperament maths. Basically it creates a geometrically (not linearly) evenly spaced set of 12 ratios between 1:1 and 1:2 (unison to octave), so you will see there is a division by 12, exponentials, and 2 for the octave. This makes a mathematical model that allows the intervals to work in any key because the spacings are geometrically equal.

The 12 real ratios based on actual study of harmonics are not geometrically equally spaced, so you get a different set of frequencies for each seed note or root. Its only a few hertz but enough to hear. So with the real ratios you need different fret spacings for each key effectively, and changing key inside a piece is close to impossible. The 12 ratios are embodied in the Pythagoean Temperament of the so called "perfect" intervals. They are perfect because they sound so good.

When you play your ukulele, assuming it is well built and set up properly, you often correct the difference between Equal Temperament and the perfect intervals (often called "error") by your fretting technique, subconsciously without ever being told about it, because it is only a few Hz which are not hard to get with technique.

The source of the 12 perfect intervals or ratios is a thing called the Harmonic Series or Musical Series. This is a linear series generating by adding a frequency to create a series of harmonics. In the theory discussions it is started at C and is shown in Standard Notation, which is confusing to the math minded folk. This is how the series goes: F 2F 3F 4F 5F 6F ....... So for maths if you start at A1 (using Scientific Pitch Notation (SPN)) =55hz you can get a linear series in Hz: 55 110 220 440 880 1760 ... just keep adding 55 and you get the series. If you take this series out to about 20 harmonics IE 20F, and look at the ratios to the root note (A1 = 55hz in this case) in Hz, you will find there are 12 ratios that keep recurrng, and they are between 1:1 and 1:2, or unison to octave. This is the source of the Perfect Intervals. The physics is that they generate harmonics that sound good in relation to the root frequency, this is a real gift from the universe, it works for any frequency. If you read the history of the Temperaments you will get a sort of time lapse development of these ratios into useful intervals for music. Start with Pythagorus. Also they are not all simple ratios like 3:2 or 4:3, some of them are like 1024/729. Look up the tables for Pythagorean Temperament to see how you get to 1024/729. Find the discussion of the history of stuff like Bb and B, development of Melodic Minor scales. Human geniuses have taken these natural ratios and turned them into mathematical models so that musical instruments can be designed and built, firstly in a feasible size and shape, and then so they can accompany other instruments. They did this maybe in the 1800s a long time ago, now it all seems to be what has always been. Eastern cultures have also developed Temperaments and instruments, they may use 24 ratios or intervals, but if you analyse the math, they assign frequencies to notes based on ratios between 1:1 and 1:2, many come from centuries of trial and error, and not maths.

No doubt I have made some errors in history, and there is no way to confirm some of the statements above, but if you want to understand Temperaments and real sinusoidal harmonics applied to music, the discussion may help you. A mistake is to use this information as the absolute truth and get too involved in arguing the accuracy, instead of focussing on using the discussion to learn about music and apply knowledge of temperaments and scales to being a creative musician. Non-creatives will get carried away with the history. Creatives will use the discussion to create creative music.
Thanks, Bill. Much to digest but just the start I was looking for. And I won't let it deter me from having fun.

Top Bottom