More Mods! Welcome to @ploverwing and @Arcy!

I still prefer a text based experience and would be fine if there were no pictures pre-loaded on my browser. I wonder if there is a text-only browser? I'll look into that.
This is a super interesting point. I just did a quick search and found that a number of browsers have a built in text only functionality and/or extension/plugin, plus there are some.other browsers available with that functionality out of the box:

I still prefer a text based experience and would be fine if there were no pictures pre-loaded on my browser. I wonder if there is a text-only browser? I'll look into that.
there is always Lynx in unix. I have always used linux so that's what I know. I don't know if microsoft or apple has anything like that. I only have a conversational understanding of those formats

Thanks all!

does anyone remember circa 1995 and moderators? Remember when you had to be on-topic or you would be deleted because we can't be wasting band-width on usenet?
Usenet was an... interesting... place. My recollection was that it was mostly unmoderated and decentralized, but I was off of it several years before 1995. I had a professor who considered it his duty to post in all new alt groups when they were created, and he gave us a trip report on his research for his post in honour of alt.sex.bondage. Oh my.

Heavy content moderation is still very useful for some types of forums - you don't want your technical Q&A forum to get mired down in irrelevant discussions so people can't find the info they need.

That's the opposite of UU's goal (at least of my read of it), which is to encourage discussion and build community.

The basic design principle @TimWilson , @ploverwing , and I have been discussing can be summarized as "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". The community here is healthy, and we don't want to mess with that. There are broken things to fix and clean up (nobody needs sticky threads full of dead links), and enhancements to come, but we don't want to take anything away.

I still prefer a text based experience and would be fine if there were no pictures pre-loaded on my browser. I wonder if there is a text-only browser?
Your best bet is probably a browser extension to remove images. The lynx browser @ripock mentioned is significantly more arcane than just removing the pictures. If you don't have a position on vi vs emacs it's probably not for you ;) . It does run on Mac (which is Unix based) and Windows (either as a Windows version or via Windows Subsystem for Linux).

--Rob
(emacs user until I started using Sun workstations that had enough memory for three of X windows, the debugger, our app, and emacs, but not all of them at once. Vi fit, and I never looked back).

And we are so lucky that you a) are interested enough to notice, b) are generous enough to reach out and offer to the UU staff/owners your experience and time, and c) are enthusiastic enough to tackle these issues, despite the fact that you have a full life outside of UU that requires your attention and energy.
Could you explain this concept, which you speak of, full life outside of UU?

Seriously, thank you and the other mods for taking on the responsibilities of moderating and maintaining this wonderful site.

Thanks to Tim, ploverwing and Arcy for keeping this forum great!

And yes, I can remember the mid 90's bulletin boards. I can remember the crackle and hiss of my modem ... and the flame wars! Glad we have progressed past those days.

These two fine folks made the sad mistake of telling me that they have experience with various aspects of (gestures broadly) this stuff. That includes ukuleles and other instruments, for sure, and they've also been around UU for much longer than I have. But also lots of experience managing forum backends and development, each in their own unique way.

We've already been mapping out some of the issues in front of us, starting of course with posts that all of you have have been making in the Site Suggestions forum over the years, but also some of the sneaky behind-the-scenes stuff as we've been looking under the hood together.

I've happily been making some of the low-hanging fruit kinds of changes that can be made on the front side of the admin control panel, and I have a few more of these fast fixes in the wings. The big stuff takes time though, but please know that we've already been spending a couple of weeks laying those foundations with support from Aaron, Aldrine, and everyone else who's been getting it done behind the scenes for all these years.

Which leads me to mentioning how grateful I am to every mod, admin, and member who's come before us, many of whom are still very much engaged with the community. Ukulele Underground is awesome exactly as it is, but I know that you know the issues that need addressing, because you've been asking for us to address them. We're not planning on turning anything upside down. On the contrary! Our goal is to set things back upright.

Enough from me for now. You've already seen how engaged and helpful these two folks are, and I'm delighted to tell you that their work on the technology is every bit as engaged, hopeful, and inspired as their work on the boards.

Lots of good stuff coming, and with the two of them on board, coming sooner and better.

More news soon!

Best,
Tim
Mod
Thanks for that!

I haven’t posted too much over the years but I enjoy reading the threads. Hats off to these fine volunteers who will keep this forum engaging and informative. After all, we all love this fun little instrument and there is always something new to learn!

There are broken things to fix and clean up (nobody needs sticky threads full of dead links), and enhancements to come, but we don't want to take anything away.

Including putatively "off-topic" stuff. That's the seasoning that makes each community unique. Yeah, we have some focused subforums for that, and I've done a good bit of moving threads into the right subs. Not as a project unto itself, but it's kind of related to the spam-hunting I've focused on: 120 spam posts removed just this week, and bunches of spam accounts along with them!

The task is more about renovation than rehabilitation. :)

Heavy content moderation is still very useful for some types of forums - you don't want your technical Q&A forum to get mired down in irrelevant discussions

My longest stretch was running a hardcore tech forum where we as admins were desperately trying to encourage off-topic conversations, and created specific forums hoping to accommodate them. Specifically, the forum was related to film and television production, and we thought, "hey, so many of these folks have been to film school, they watch a ton of stuff, and have certainly worked on projects that everyone reading this owns -- maybe we can start by focusing our off-topic efforts on what we're watching, favorite movies, etc"...but man, we couldn't move that needle at ALL.

But where we had to moderate was that these folks could get crazy hostile. LOL I think it's true in a lot of nerd communities, right? Comes with the territory.

A bit of irony. One idea I came up with that helped a lot was forcing a real-names only policy. I figured that people would calm down at least a little if people couldn't snipe from behind screen names. We lost a good-sized handful of folks to that (they logged out forever rather than take responsibility for what they posted), but things got so much better for years that I was patting myself on the back for this amazing insight...

...and then along comes Facebook, where these exact same folks had not just their real names, but pictures of themselves, their pets, their wedding photos and such, heck, a map to their HOUSE 🤣 spewing the vilest poison you can imagine in front of their mothers, kids, and everyone they went to high school with. LOL

Facebook definitely taught me the limits of accountability in public discourse, which is a big part of why I won't go there anymore.

But yeah, moderation is all about context.

Could you explain this concept, which you speak of, full life outside of UU?

I have no idea what she means. 🤣

Kidding aside, just as I was diving into this particular pool, my wife developed a very serious health condition that's requiring most of my focus, along with things like making our house wheelchair accessible and the gazillions of related tasks.

I'm also finding that admin-ing is cutting into my time for regular posting here AND my ukulele playing! Having these two superlative humans who just happen to have mad skills of very different sorts is going to make a HUGE difference to everything about my life.

And to the forum. A team full of people with the same experiences and perspectives isn't as strong as it should be, and I love that the Venn diagram of our skillsets has just the right amount of overlap, and just the right amount of unique expertise for each of us. That said, I was immediately struck that our goals for the community are virtually identical. I've never been part of a team that was this entirely aligned from the jump, and it's going to make a big difference on how well and how quickly we move. Strap in, kids! 🤣

THAT said, they've identified some issues behind the scenes that had me scratching my head, but not yet able to identify the problems specifically enough to tackle them. They saw what's what right away. (y) So we're going to have to shore up the foundations before we start building much more on top of them.

It's all underway, though, and we're very pleased to be picking up some steam as we go!

A big thank you to ploverwing and Arcy for filling in with Tim! This forum just keeps getting better, and I've been here a while. And I assure you, my real name IS Nickie. Just ask anybody.

Big thanks to Tim and now Ploverwing and Arcy.

Since my days of coding ended with FORTRAN, COBOL and a little Basic and an IBM360 mainframe and punch card decks.

I want my computer to be an appliance, not something I have to do programing to use.

I did take a course in Dreamweaver a decade ago, and never used it. But it made talking to web designers more productive.

Kudos to all of you for stepping up. Tim, I'm glad they are taking some of the load off of you so you can focus and use your time dealing with what's really important.

Thanks to Tim, ploverwing and Arcy for keeping this forum great!

And yes, I can remember the mid 90's bulletin boards. I can remember the crackle and hiss of my modem ... and the flame wars! Glad we have progressed past those days.
I met my wife soon after I moved to Sleepy Hollow (Tarrytown), NY, on an AOL discussion bulletin board in the late 90s. And used instant messaging to talk to her before I got fed up and suggested we use the telephone. (She's a much faster typist than I.)

A bit of irony. One idea I came up with that helped a lot was forcing a real-names only policy. I figured that people would calm down at least a little if people couldn't snipe from behind screen names. We lost a good-sized handful of folks to that (they logged out forever rather than take responsibility for what they posted), but things got so much better for years that I was patting myself on the back for this amazing insight...

...and then along comes Facebook, where these exact same folks had not just their real names, but pictures of themselves, their pets, their wedding photos and such, heck, a map to their HOUSE 🤣 spewing the vilest poison you can imagine in front of their mothers, kids, and everyone they went to high school with. LOL

Facebook definitely taught me the limits of accountability in public discourse, which is a big part of why I won't go there anymore.
Hehee this brings back memories.

I remember being 19 and getting thrown off Facebook for telling dead baby jokes.

Top Bottom