Moon Bird Tenor

peanuts56

Reaction score
I've been thinking about another tenor and recently tried the Moon Bird. It looks nice and the workmanship is first rate. I saw a video of Brittany Paiva playing one on Facebook. I contacted her on FB and we had a few short conversations. She seemed very enthusiastic. I ultimately decided against buying it. I found it too be a little too bright for my taste.

If the Moonbird is too bright for you take a look at the Cedar Bird (UT214). Same uke but with a cedar top instead of spruce with a similar, yet much warmer, darker sound to it. TUS has some sound samples on Youtube. Not plenty around though, they are made in limited batches from what I know (some recently sold through TUS and SUS).

Maybe you can consider their new Singer series. Mahogany model if Spruce is too bright for you.

Last edited:
If the Moonbird is too bright for you take a look at the Cedar Bird (UT214). Same uke but with a cedar top instead of spruce with a similar, yet much warmer, darker sound to it. TUS has some sound samples on Youtube. Not plenty around though, they are made in limited batches from what I know (some recently sold through TUS and SUS).
They are hard to find. I'm in Connecticut and most music shops sell entry level ukes. Maybe in NYC. I was visiting family in Hawaii when I tried the Moonbird. Went to HMS and talked to Kalei before trying it. They sell out fast according to them.

There is an aNueNue Orange Lion on FaceBook's Ukulele Marketplace being offered by a seller I have purchased from. Susie Genevive Houle. Who is very nice and the instrument I bought (a Ko'olau T100) was in mint condition. The Lion tenor is Cedar/koa. She says she's open to offers.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ukulelemarketplace
They are not imported to the US very often. If you can get past the color, they sound terrific in the reviews I have seen. Baz did a review:
https://www.gotaukulele.com/2020/10/anuenue-lion-orange-ut-tenor-ukulele.html
If I didn't need to reduce my stable of ukes for a move, I would have jumped at this. (My MoonBird is overly bright.)
Best of luck.

I visited The Ukulele Site (store) last month thinking I would only love the Hawaii-made Koa ukes, but the aNueNue concert Cedar Bird was probably my favorite. It felt comfortable and sounded great when I crudely plucked the strings. It sounded much better when Kalei played it.

They are hard to find. I'm in Connecticut and most music shops sell entry level ukes. Maybe in NYC. I was visiting family in Hawaii when I tried the Moonbird. Went to HMS and talked to Kalei before trying it. They sell out fast according to them.

In my dreams... sigh.

Top Bottom