Metronome was my enemy, metronome is my friend

wqking

Reaction score
I had tried metronome several times, either on other instruments or Ukulele. Each time I gave it up after a while, because it's too difficult to follow the metronome (no matter the speed is slow or fast) and it messed up my practice, so I felt against it.

Now I retry metronome the Nth time, and I find there is a lot of fun,
1, It's not that difficult to follow the rhythm with the metronome after a little practice, especially on the tunes that has simple rhythm. That gives me more confidence to continue using metronome.
2, Being on rhythm increases the musicality dramatically. That's very important in playing instrument.
3, Chromatic scale exercise is boring, scale exercise is boring, arpeggios exercise is boring, but using metronome makes them less boring, and add much fun to them. Now I like to practice those boring stuff every day.

If you didn't use a metronome, start using it now. I'm using it in my daily practice now.

I'm using metronome software on the computer and on android phone. The feature I found very useful while many metronome apps lack is, save/load the playlist. Fortunately I manage to find some apps with that feature.
What I'm not quite satisfied with is, there is no one app that works on both computer and phone and allow me to synchronize the playlist across devices. That means I have to make playlists for different devices separately. If you know such software, please let me know.

I post this thread not only to share my experience, but also remind me not to give up metronome again. :cool:

Something that was a game-changer for me was getting a real metronome, something more than a beep on a wristwatch or a telephone. A real metronome is a percussion instrument and you can feel the beat. Nowadays, I frequently turn on my metronome when I practice because the metronome is like my friend who holds down the rhythm while I take the lead.

I sometimes find myself playing to the ticking of my grandfather's mantel clock ...

I think anyone can benefit by playing with a metronome. I always scratch my head and am somewhat saddened when I hear very experienced players who have expensive top line ukes, get great tone, hit all the right notes, but seem to have very little sense of timing. It really detracts from the listening experience when the song doesn't flow rhythmically.

Yes! That sense of pulse makes all the difference. The metronome is a great tool. FWIW- there are lots of choices out there, but I find the app Tempo to be a great one with many useful features.

I think anyone can benefit by playing with a metronome. I always scratch my head and am somewhat saddened when I hear very experienced players who have expensive top line ukes, get great tone, hit all the right notes, but seem to have very little sense of timing. It really detracts from the listening experience when the song doesn't flow rhythmically.

I enjoy using the metronome every now and again. Also very good for playing with small groups, the metronome does not lie.

I prefer the old school wooden Wittners. They can still be had for less than $100.

Just something about that "tick-tock" that the beeping apps don't have. It's like having a minimalist percussionist playing along.

Then crank it down to about 220 and turn on the bell !!!

That will clear the room faster than a stinky fart.

I just bought a Korg TM-60 tuner and metronome combo and used it for several practice sessions. I like it. I'm going to use it as my unique metronome instead of the software in computer or mobile phone. This is a typical "designed in Japan" product (though it's made in Vietnam), the usability is quite good.

Something that was a game-changer for me was getting a real metronome, something more than a beep on a wristwatch or a telephone. A real metronome is a percussion instrument and you can feel the beat. Nowadays, I frequently turn on my metronome when I practice because the metronome is like my friend who holds down the rhythm while I take the lead.
Ripock- I'm obviously very late to the party on this thread but thank you for your 2017 post regarding the major difference between a metronome app and the real thing. I've really grown to dislike the electronic beat in the Soundbrenner app and had intended to post the question of whether there is some alternative app that has a percussion tone. Were you able to find an inexpensive metronome at a music store, of did you order it?

This is a great revival of an old thread! It reminded me that I want to try one of these drummer's metronomes:

Soundbrenner Pulse.jpg

Ripock- I'm obviously very late to the party on this thread but thank you for your 2017 post regarding the major difference between a metronome app and the real thing. I've really grown to dislike the electronic beat in the Soundbrenner app and had intended to post the question of whether there is some alternative app that has a percussion tone. Were you able to find an inexpensive metronome at a music store, of did you order it?
Oh my! It has been so long ago I don't remember from whom I obtained my metronome. I just have one of those ubiquitous obelisks

1661869636193.png

I love mine and chances are I ordered it from Amazon. By the way ubiquitous obelisks would be a great band name.

This is a great revival of an old thread! It reminded me that I want to try one of these drummer's metronomes:

View attachment 143121
Oh my! It has been so long ago I don't remember from whom I obtained my metronome. I just have one of those ubiquitous obelisks

View attachment 143122

I love mine and chances are I ordered it from Amazon. By the way ubiquitous obelisks would be a great band name.
Thank you. As to band names, I also like “Stealth Capybara” and “Serendipitous Platypus”.

View attachment 143121
It's a lousy watch for regular wear, and since replacing it as my daily watch I don't use it much. It's nice to have for practice, but not enough that I go and get it from its charger. Using my phone or a clicky metronome is good enough and always at hand.

Beyond that, I don't think my opinion's changed much since my initial review two years ago.

I used to have one of those cheap plastic ones, with a red and white plastic case... It wound up like an old clock with a winding key on the side... The "plasticy" tic-tock sound was very distinctive. A agree with riprock: Percussive metronomes are superior...

That was way back when I was first started playing bass guitar. Then, I started playing in a band with a drummer. Eventually, I got into a group without a drummer... and I was the one holding the beat. And I could do it alone!

My point is: after playing with other people for several years, I just didn't need it anymore...

I sold it at yard sale. I guess I just grew out of it.

I know better than to say that I no longer need a metronome. I am not that far along. But I do use it even when I'm not using it. For example, if I want to start practicing something new like the Enigmatic Scale where I am not keeping time I have the metronome running. I like the company and it helps to always hear the rhythm and then when my practice session advances and I am playing with a bit more fluidity I can join my friend the metronome and play some notes within the beats.

My winder-upper is a Seth Thomas. My internal clock works pretty well though. It even tells when to pick up after I mangle a bar or 2, almost like it never happened ;)

Like most folks I need to calibrate from time to time.

But I detested and still dislike the click of mechanical and electronic metronomes.

Fortunately as a beginner I was able to play along twice weekly in groups led by professional musicians with excellent timing.

When I need to calibrate at home I use the *drum machine* settings on my $200 VOX5 portable amp. It offers 11 genres each with 9 variants.

I’m okay with hearing the first beat in each bar, but feel stifled trying to play perfect time on the other beats. So I chose drum patterns with strong first beats and disregard the other beats. This means I’m calibrating to the overall pattern but still able to swing notes here and there

Usually the setting will be set slow to learn new patterns and fix tricky phrasing. I’ll synchronize sung phrases and count off the unsung beats making sure that the bars are right. Then go faster at performance speed. On well known stuff my timing is usually okay but definitely better after sessions with drum patterns.

Cheers.

Top Bottom