Martin C1M

Can't say I know anything about these, but this would look beautiful next to my all mahogany Martin guitar. I wonder what specifically they mean by mahogany veneer?

Seems sketchy.

I seem to recall reading that Martin are open to making custom lines if you buy a few. The seller seems to have had others of these listed and I wonder whether they had a bunch made by Martin. Would explain the inflated price.

EDIT - scratch that - see they are listed as pre-owned. If that is the case I'm more confused now!

Never heard of it, Google "Martin C1 uke special" and there's another one on ebay. Tried to post a link but UU thought it was spam (happens every time I try to post a link?) The other one is also in Japan, maybe it's a Japanese market product. Agree with a statement above, seems pricey for a laminate.

No idea whether Martin has made mahogany versions of their cheaper concert (or tenor) models but I guess it's possible. Personally, I believe this one is actually solid wood and the mention of "veneer" is just some sort of translation error. And I have to say, this particular one looks fantastic.

Regarding the price, these Japanese sellers on eBay often charge ridiculously high prices compared to US or European dealers. Sometimes like twice the price. No idea why...

Martin C1 video

YouTube video from 2012, so they've apparently been around for a while, at least in Japan. IMO, as expected, the mahogany version sounds a bit warmer than the koa C1K. A side-by-side comparison would be interesting.

Last edited:
When I first started playing, you could get a C1M or C1K. The mahogany version was solid though. I think the koa one was much more popular and they quit selling the mahogany. A friend tried both at Dusty Strings and came home with the koa.

2016? I remember that model was on my list of ones I was considering and the mahogany was less. Then Christmas came and went and the mahogany ones vanished.

Interesting! What year was that? Makes sense that many more people wanted real Hawaiian koa, so they dropped the C1m.

I was surprised when I did a UU search, and got no hits on "Martin C1M"

Interesting! What year was that? Makes sense that many more people wanted real Hawaiian koa, so they dropped the C1m.

I was surprised when I did a UU search, and got no hits on "Martin C1M"

They're not called a C1M, it's a C1 Uke Special...

For one thing, it's from Japan, and ukes on eBay from Japan are at least twice as expensive as domestic sales. I don't know why they even both listing them - like $600 Fleas and Flukes.

I can't imagine a veneer (laminate) mahogany from Martin.

I can't imagine a veneer (laminate) mahogany from Martin.

I think "veneer" is a translating error, and it's a solid body. At least, I've come across "veneer" being mistakenly used to translate a description of a solid body ukulele before. I don't recall if it was from Japanese, though.

I've heard ukuleles are pretty popular in Japan, and they're quite expensive over there (as most things are). In my experience, Japanese retailers often carry items that are hard to find in the States or elsewhere. Not just for ukuleles, this seems to happens in a lot of niche markets--the kind where collector's items are a thing. Every once in a while, a buyer from the States or elsewhere will buy a hard-to-find product, even with the exorbitant Japanese markup because it can't be found anywhere else. My guess is, this encourages those Japanese sellers to keep making products available on sites where they can list their wares.

I've heard ukuleles are pretty popular in Japan, and they're quite expensive over there (as most things are). In my experience, Japanese retailers often carry items that are hard to find in the States or elsewhere. Not just for ukuleles, this seems to happens in a lot of niche markets--the kind where collector's items are a thing. Every once in a while, a buyer from the States or elsewhere will buy a hard-to-find product, even with the exorbitant Japanese markup because it can't be found anywhere else. My guess is, this encourages those Japanese sellers to keep making products available on sites where they can list their wares.

This is very true. These Japanese retailers often have really nice high-end ukes available that you often can't find anywhere else. I've seen them offer loads of vintage Martins in extremely good condition as well. If you're after an Asian-made high-end uke like Anuenue of Kiwaya, you can often find those more easily from there as well. Personally, I just can't justify the 100% increase in price and import costs on top of that.

I think "veneer" is a translating error, and it's a solid body. At least, I've come across "veneer" being mistakenly used to translate a description of a solid body ukulele before. I don't recall if it was from Japanese, though.

I've seen it on Japanese translations too.

Martin C2M

There is a Martin Style 2 Concert in mahogany on the marketplace here for $725 that is beautiful. I am not the seller.. I prefer the older ones with no ears and the darker wood...WIN_20200214_17_07_22_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom