Mainland Red Cedar Tenor review

kaizersoza

Reaction score
Hi guys I have owned this stunningly beautiful uke for a week, and I must say that this uke is awesome, the high gloss finish is superb, the red cedar top compliments the rosewood side and back magically, this uke is certainly a looker and the pics online does not do it the justice it deserves, i was in the market for the concert size but settled for the tenor and i am not disappointed, if i could change one thing it would be the headstock (i loved the black one on the concert size)
It came ready strung with aquilas and these give off a real punchy though quite warm sound, in a recent sound test i played the mainland back to back with my fluke, my kala flamed maple and just for the hell of it my kala solid mahogany soprano, heh heh!!! The Mainland trounced them all with its clear bright sound and resonance, hell it was still resonating when i laid it down to rest in its case, intonation is spot on all the way down the rosewood fretboard.
This uke is head and shoulders above all my other ukes both in looks and in sound and also playability, but it does scratch quite easily, i took it over to my tutor for my lesson and the buttons on his shirt left some slight scratches on the back, either that or his nips are damn sharp, now i know some of you on here say that scratches gives your uke soul, but this uke is just too damn beautiful for that, there is also a slight buzz coming from the saddle, which the kind peole at eagle music UK has agreed to sort out, one problem with that is i don't want to send it back because i know i WILL get withdrawal symptoms, hopefully it can be sorted out at home.
I also have to put a mention in for Mike at Mainland here, when I asked him for some advice about the slight buzz the guy offered to send me a new saddle, i did'nt buy it from him and that just about sums up the measure of this kind man, a real caring gentleman thanx Mike.
So all in all I am so chuffed to finally be the owner of a ukulele masterpiece that will bring happiness and a big big grin to my face everytime i play it, would i buy another Mainland? You bet your life i would, they are the dogs b@ll@x, i love it and i want its children
thanx for reading my review
kaizersoza (Mainland owner) :cool:

Good review. My mainland red cedar tenor is also my favorite. Sweet tone (punchy yet mellow) great sustain with NO dead spots on the neck. Don't worry about the scratches. They don't effect the tone.

I have a concert en route as well type!

Thanks for the review -- I dig my Mainland mahogany concert, but I'm coveting that cedar/rosewood combo.

BTW, great user name.

So I got my Red Cedar Concert today. You were right, I love it! I did just play all the ukes at Dusty Strings though or I would be even more impressed...I played 4 Collins, 5 Kamaka's( I don't care for the sound honestly), a Loprinzi, a Kala Red Cedar that I was very impressed with and a whole bunch of Kiwaya's(didn't care fore them either honestly).

I guess the fact that I came home after that and opened up the Red Cedar Mainland and still love it is a pretty damn good endorsement! Sounds good and loud and very clear right out of the box. I can only imagine what will happen in a few months since that is how long my other Mainlands took to open up.

Anyone reading this, get one. Best bang for the buck period! I have had everything out there and played a bunch of high enders. For $2xx dollars, it is a steal! There are better ukes out there, I have about 8 that I like more but none were even close to $240!!!(Kanilea's can't be beat;))

You guys have won me over... I'm going to order a Mainland. What are the big differences in sound between the three woods they offer? Which is the preferred?

judging by what i've read, the red cedar has a punchy brighter side than the mahogany, the mahogany is a warmer sound, but it still has that warm side to it too, i don't know about the mango, they are quite loud and the sustain goes on forever, and that is in any wood, lovely

You guys have won me over... I'm going to order a Mainland. What are the big differences in sound between the three woods they offer? Which is the preferred?
I think you'll get several different answers to that question. It really depends on what you like to hear.
I played the cedar, mango, and mahogany at mike's shop and liked them in that order. Bought the cedar. But they all were good. The spruce hadn't come out yet when I was there. But I'm sure it's good too.

I am surprised how loud my cedar Mainland it. VERY good punchy and loud sound. I have the Mohag. concert too and it is quieter and a little more "rich" in sound but the cedar is bright. Both are no brainers.

They are a lot darker than I was expecting too. Hopefully Mike at Mainland will use some of the profits from the numerous ukes I have purchased and buy a decent camera!!! Did you hear me Mike!

yep they are darker than the webpics, but apart from the flash you can see the beautiful grain on the back of the uke, loverly

i would say its a bit darker than the orange and slightly lighter than the dark red, i am no photographer, but it does have a rich deep colourthat is not quite red and not quite orange hmm

i would say its a bit darker than the orange and slightly lighter than the dark red, i am no photographer, but it does have a rich deep colourthat is not quite red and not quite orange hmm

Thanks, I'm thinking of getting one but the red pics look too similar to my Mahogany.
...sorry to belabor the point, so how does the actual color compare to this pic posted earlier by RevWill?
picture.jpg

Top Bottom