Mahogany Tenor Ukulele Comparison- Ohana TK-39 and Pono MT

Nice comparison Vic. Each it's own voice and each very nice.

I really like Pono's. Well built and excellent quality. I have too many of them !

I can tell you are attached to that TK-39 Ohana. Broken in and sounds very nice. The right Ohana can be very, very nice. And yes, Mim is the only dealer I would buy an Ohana from. Not too long ago I gave my TK50G to a friend. That was a great uke. I wanted that friend to have something really nice. Sure, I could have sold it and put the money toward a recent purchase, but that uke was special and I had to put it in the hands of a friend.

I am betting you are keeping that TK-39 for a long time and when the time comes it will wind up in the hands of somebody special to you. That's the sign of a great ukulele.

You gave an unbiased comparison best you could - but I can tell that TK-39 is a special uke to you.

Last edited:
Very good comparison video Vic. I have owned several Ponos tenors and a Ohana TK-50G. They are all excellent instruments for the money.

Two things that may be important to people are the depth of the bodies and the neck thicknesses.
The Ohana body is not as deep and your arm may be more comfortable playing it because the edge doesn't dig into your right arm as much.
And, the Ohana neck thickness (Back to front) is less and more of a D-shape than the Pono.

Nice comparison, Vic. I honestly liked the sweet, warm tone of the Pono better. Maybe it's just me, but your fretting seemed cleaner and clearer on the Pono, which gave the notes a purer tone to me. The Ohana is a bit louder, as I would expect a thinner, lighter uke to be. And I also love a uke that you can feel vibrate as you play. But that Pono WILL open up and just get better, I'd be willing to bet. I'm sure you'll enjoy both ukes for some time to come.

Nice review Vic. I have two Pono’s but this review has me interested in trying this Ohana. Very lite weight and resonant. Great sound. Not too different from Pono IMHO….both Very nice but slightly different. One can only really tell by picking up and playing individual instruments but you’ve shown enough to create interest. You obviously like your TK39. Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom