Living Water Strings vs. Uke Logic Soft Tension Strings vs. PhD strings

tinaj

Reaction score
Hello everyone, how do these three brands of fluorocarbon strings compare - Living Water, Uke Logic Soft Tension, and PhD on solid wood tenor ukes?

Two of my solid wood tenors, a spruce top and a cedar top, have light builds and are very responsive but somewhat fussy with strings. I’ve tried Worth CT and Oasis Bright and Warm but they either sound somewhat twangy on the C string, or plinky on the A string, or both.

I recently tried Living Water strings on the cedar top and really like it - clear and bell like sound with no twangyness or plinkyness, nice feel to the fingers and not too much tension.

My old favorite strings for the spruce top was the Southcoast Light Medium Gauge set but that’s no longer available and I’ve been looking for a similar sound and feel ever since.

I’m curious if anyone has compared Living Water strings to Uke Logic Soft Tension or PhD strings?

Adding that I play mostly fingerstyle and not much strumming, and prefer strings with a softer feel and a bit less tension on lightly built tenor ukes.

Last edited:
I play fingerstyle, too and on my Kanile’a K1 Tenor (my only ukulele) I prefer Living Water and Uke Logic (pink). I haven’t tried the PhD, but have tried Worth Clear and Brown, Oasis Bright, Aquila Sugar/Reds/Lava and the Living Water and Uke Logic produce the fullest, clearest, most bell like tones (to me) and are my favorites.

I use both Living Water and Uke Logic strings. I've found that the Uke Logics are sometimes too twangy on the A string, but otherwise I really like them. I purchased some extra Living Water A strings to substitute for the Uke Logic A strings, (you can special order single strings directly from Ken), and that seems to work. But, I'll probably stick to Living Water once I use up the Uke Logic strings I have, so I don't have to mix and match.

I haven't tried PhD, but have tried Worths (clear and brown), and Oasis, and so far, my favorite is Living Water. But, that's what works best for my ukuleles (all concerts), with my style of playing, (fingerstyle), and to my ears.

Thank you both for your insights. I really like the Living Water strings so far on the cedar top, and based on that and your inputs, I think I will get a few more sets to try on my other ukes.

I bought the first set of LW strings from Uke Republic, but I just checked out Ken’s website and it actually costs less to purchase directly from Ken and have it shipped from the UK. Ordering extra A strings is a great idea… I’ll be adding that to my order. Thanks!

I no longer own a tenor ukulele, but I do have PhD strings on my Flight soprano and my Kala long-neck soprano, and I really like them (I do mostly finger-style these days). My concert KoAloha Opio has Living Water strings on it (which I also like), and I find the tension and feel to be quite similar to the PhDs. Both brands are very comfortable under the fingers.

Uke Logic Soft Tension and Living Water are my favorite strings so far. I like the feel, sound, and playability of both, so when I restring I use these. I haven't really discerned much of a difference between them, though. I think only my Kanile'a has Living Water right now. I'll have to play it alongside another tenor with Uke Logics and really compare.

With Flouros, the difference brand-to-brand is mostly about the diameters and tensions chosen for the set. Even a “soft” set is going to be brighter than most any Nylon set.

Remember that strings and plectra are our physical connection to the instrument, so the choice is going to be highly personal. What I think sounds “Clear and Sparkling” another player might find “Harsh and Brittle” and I’ll think their strings are “Weak and Dull.”

Figuring that all out is part of the fun.

Thank you for everyone’s inputs. I’ll order some of each brand to try on my ukes and find out which set works best for which uke. It’s a great feeling whenever I find “the one” for a particular uke that lets it sing in its best voice (to my ears).

I use both Living Water and Uke Logic strings. I've found that the Uke Logics are sometimes too twangy on the A string, but otherwise I really like them. I purchased some extra Living Water A strings to substitute for the Uke Logic A strings, (you can special order single strings directly from Ken), and that seems to work. But, I'll probably stick to Living Water once I use up the Uke Logic strings I have, so I don't have to mix and match.

I haven't tried PhD, but have tried Worths (clear and brown), and Oasis, and so far, my favorite is Living Water. But, that's what works best for my ukuleles (all concerts), with my style of playing, (fingerstyle), and to my ears.

Regarding the Uke Logic A string. You can also just shoot Joel a message on Etsy (or probably just even put a note in the order) to sub in the A string from the high tension set. He told me he also has a gauge that he likes for the A string that is in between the soft tension A string and the high tension A string. On a semi-related note I know some folks have had an issue with the soft tension A string fraying. In my experience the fraying issue only happens on the soft tension A string and only when it is strung on a tenor. It works on tenor but its pretty light gauge so it is more prone to fraying at tenor tension, if you, like me, pull on new strings to stretch them quicker, if you retune a lot, or if you play hard. However, I've had zero issue with fraying with the high tension A string subbed in and it sounds really good with the rest of the regular tension set. I didn't really have any issue with the soft tension either once I learned not to do my usual stretching and just let it settle in on it's own, but for now I'm using the high tension on the A. Just an FYI to anyone planning on ordering Uke Logic for a tenor.

Last edited:
Re the UkeLogics, what's with the pink ones? Are they different sounding, or just a different color?
I honestly don't know. These were sent to me with my Kanile'a and when it was time to repurchase, I bought the same set. I imagine it's just a difference in color.

Re the UkeLogics, what's with the pink ones? Are they different sounding, or just a different color
In the description it says "The Clear or Pink color options have no effect on the function or tone of the string, they are strictly cosmetic options for your pleasure."

But I think I saw a comment from Alex at Southern Ukulele Store that he thought they sounded a little different.

🤷‍♂️

Re the UkeLogics, what's with the pink ones? Are they different sounding, or just a different color?
I was talking to Joel just the other day (on the phone at TUS) and he said the only difference is that color.

I’ve used the PhDs for years and do like them. However I’ve found the Uke Logic soft tension allow me to play longer without tired fingers. Yes, the A string does fray but I just keep an eye on it. Living Waters are nice but take some time to get here. Ken has them in super fancy packaging, in my opinion. By the way I use the pink logics only cause the color is a bit different. No difference in sound that I can tell.
you can’t g wrong with any of them.

I have a spruce top Tenor and the Uke Logic strings on it sounded incredible. But for me I went through two A strings in a week. Purchased some fishing line to try and get around it that lasted even less. I appreciate I’m likely the problem.

If you get on well with fluorocarbons the Uke Logics will give you a great sound!

I have a spruce top Tenor and the Uke Logic strings on it sounded incredible. But for me I went through two A strings in a week. Purchased some fishing line to try and get around it that lasted even less. I appreciate I’m likely the problem.

If you get on well with fluorocarbons the Uke Logics will give you a great sound!
If you otherwise liked them I would recommend ordering a low tension set and asking Joel to sub in a heavier gauge A string (see my longer comment about this above).

If you otherwise liked them I would recommend ordering a low tension set and asking Joel to sub in a heavier gauge A string (see my longer comment about this above).

Wow that’s great to know! I’ll definitely revisit them!

Have you got a link to his Etsy?

Thank You.

Wow that’s great to know! I’ll definitely revisit them!

Have you got a link to his Etsy?

Thank You.
Here ya go https://www.etsy.com/shop/UkeLogic

The high tension A string, if I remember correctly, is the same as the soft tension high G string. So if your ordering a reentrant set, just be aware that it’s the same string (works fine, just saying in case it would bug you). He did mention to me that he has a gauge in between those two so you could ask about that as well. I don’t find the high tension A string to be overly high tension and it sounds great but I did very slightly prefer the sound of soft tension one on my KTM so I’ll probably ask to try the one in between next time I order.

Last edited:
Does anyone have thoughts about the UkeLogic smooth-wound low G vs the La Bella/Fremont Soloist/Pepe Romero (I lump them all together because apparently they're all the same)?

ETA - for crying out loud, the shipping costs more than the darned string set from UkeLogic! Sometimes, I really hate a) currency conversion and b) shipping. You could just throw it in an envelope that would only cost a few bucks. $20 to ship. It's cheaper to buy & ship two sets of Living Waters strings direct from the UK! That is nuts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom