Library of Congress: Herb Ohta, Jr

Came across these today... Library of Congress??! Who knew??

I had no idea. What a wonderful duet. Pardon the silly newbie question but are both Herb's and Jake's ukes Kamaka tenors? Ending with Herb's instrument-only solo of SOTW was an added treat! I've got to learn the "Rock-A-Bye-Baby" chiming pattern.

Ledward Kaapana gave a concert at the Library of Congress in 2017. He plays ukulele for about 20 minutes, starting at the 30 minute point in the video.

I had no idea. What a wonderful duet. Pardon the silly newbie question but are both Herb's and Jake's ukes Kamaka tenors? Ending with Herb's instrument-only solo of SOTW was an added treat! I've got to learn the "Rock-A-Bye-Baby" chiming pattern.
My mistake. Both Herb's and Jake's ukes are KoAloha tenors.

Although HOJ used to play KoAloha customs. Judging by his album covers, it seems he switched sometime around 2015.
Herb Ohta, Jr. said this in his 2017 interview in Ukulele Magazine:

"When I first went professional, I didn’t use a Kamaka anymore because that’s what my father played, and I didn’t want to be identified with my dad. I wish I hadn’t waited that long to come back because it was like going home. I’m like part of the Kamaka family."

Top Bottom