Koaloha ukulele workshop tour (and question)

Rbee

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I found on YT this video and i was surprised by the method for gluing the bridge (visible at 13'45 ) :

They don't use a clamp? perhaps it's possible by using a glue hardener or something else?
Thanks for your advices,
Raphaël.

Did they say what glue, I found it a bit hard to hear.

Also interested. I would have assumed hide glue or CA based on how long that took, but that bottle looked like white glue so I'm equally as confused. Hoping someone here knows

Good catch!

Here is my theory: The 3 white lines are white glue, coming from the white glue bottle standing on the table. What he has in his hands is probably a small syringe with superglue. In this shot, notice the clear looking lines left and right of the 3 white lines, close to the edge of the bridge? That is probably what he applied when the camera was approaching.
KoalohaBridgeGlue.JPG

Good catch!

Here is my theory: The 3 white lines are white glue, coming from the while glue bottle standing on the table. What he has in his hands is probably a small syringe with superglue. In this shot, notice the clear looking lines left and right of the 3 white lines, close to the edge of the bridge? That is probably what he applied when the camera was approaching.
View attachment 145334
So super glue as a clamp?

Not going to lie, that's ingenious if it works.

That is what I think.

I would be interested if anyone else uses this strategy, or opinions (vs traditional clamping)?

I have used Titebond red with CA for about 5 years. It works fast and holds well. This method was suggested to me by someone who used to work for Benedetto so I assume they know what they're talking about. I don't have any empirical evidence regarding drying times or bond strength but so far so good
Miguel

Koaloha production is interesting. I was on the factory tour three times and there are always different details that are noticeable. For example it is interesting that they don't use a neck joint at all but just glue the heel on straight. This seems to work and my 22 year old KoAloha is still solid, but is this a common approach for ukes?

Is this what you mean ...

Not quite, Ken. That's a bit more scientific than my method. I just spread out the Titebond as I normally would and then just put a drop of CA glue every couple of square inches before clamping. The CA seems to react with the water in the Titebond turning into a sticky gel which means I don't get the pieces sliding around during clamping. After a few minutes I could remove the clamps and proceed with the next process but I'm generally not that brave and leave it clamped for a couple of hours. So far, no failures.
Miguel

Top Bottom