Kanile’a Koa Grade - sound hole sticker

Caba

Reaction score
Hello friends, I’m looking to buy a Kanile’a ukulele and I came across one that the seller tells me is Premium Koa. I zoomed in on the sticker and didn’t see it written “premium” beside the model. I have seen some Kanile’a ukes that clearly say the model + grade (I.e. deluxe or premium if not standard select) beside the model.
I have asked the seller to clarify but I also saw some other Kanile’a ukes listed as premium but thier stickers also did not show the grade.
Im a new to Kanile’a and looking to make my first “high end purchase” so I just wanted to know if there is any variability in the text on the sound hole stickers or if the grade is always shown if the Koa is above “select” grade?

07439D92-B123-4B7D-AB89-AC288A9484D2.jpeg

Yes, you are correct. From my two examples:

image1.jpeg image0.jpeg
Left: 2015 K-1T Premium Koa Tenor; Right: 2020 P-1T Deluxe Silk Koa Pineapple

Hi @Caba. I think everyone gave some good advice above. Normally the KOA grade would be listed in the tag. Not sure if the seller is trying to pull a fast one or just embellishing for the sale.

But one thing to consider is what you like. If the Koa looks good to you then its good. I know over the years Kanile'a grading system has changed due to limited supplies. They used to have some really curly koa wood that would be classified as DLX, which would now be Premium or even master. For me I always looks for woods that look good to me regardless of its classification. Everyone is going to be difference on what they prefer.

Hi @Caba. I think everyone gave some good advice above. Normally the KOA grade would be listed in the tag. Not sure if the seller is trying to pull a fast one or just embellishing for the sale.

But one thing to consider is what you like. If the Koa looks good to you then its good. I know over the years Kanile'a grading system has changed due to limited supplies. They used to have some really curly koa wood that would be classified as DLX, which would now be Premium or even master. For me I always looks for woods that look good to me regardless of its classification. Everyone is going to be difference on what they prefer.
Thanks I appreciate all the comments and understand your point. I do think the seller was just embellishing. When I brought it to their attention they informed me that the uke was sold to them as “premium” but acknowledged that the sticker implies standard/select koa. They have since updated the listing.
Great point with regards to personal preference; I’ve often felt that there is a simplicity and classic appeal to some of the “lower” grades. And while I understand that scarcity pushes the price of more premium grades up, wild curl might not be everyone’s cup or tea.
I like the uke but I wanted to be sure so that I could better understand the original and potential re-sale value. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom