Kala-KA TG Not Right Specification?

Reaction score
Hi there, Any advice much appreciated.

I've just bought my first Ukulele, a Kala KA-TG. I have several Guitars both electric and acoustic, so have some knowledge of woods and specifications.

I've posted 6 photos. 3 are of the actual listing on Reverb of the Kala KA TG and the other 3 are the photos I've taken. I'm pretty sure the fretboard wood and the tuners are not as shown in the Reverb listing? Screenshot_20220902_155011_com.reverb.app.jpgScreenshot_20220902_155006_com.reverb.app.jpgScreenshot_20220902_155001_com.reverb.app.jpg

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.
IMG_20220902_155616_edit_161387877047768.jpgIMG_20220902_155606_edit_161325536081111.jpg

Geoff...

Hmmmm... I have one of these, too...

Well those obviously are not Ratio tuners... but I've never seen a Kala with those tuners before so I'm not so sure where that hang-tag came from... is it just offering them as a possible upgrade? Has Kala upgraded this instrument since I got mine? I'm not sure... It would be surprising to me that they would install a $30 set of tuners onto a $160 ukulele, but what do I know...

But: if you were supposed to get those I'd say you have an issue with the seller. (Mine has the exact same tuners as yours does, by the way)

Fret board materials vary greatly... these mid-level Kalas seem to use walnut... The one I have (in a concert size) looks like it has a walnut fret board, as does my KA-SSTU-t thin body version which is a few years old. I seem to remember that they stain these sometimes to make it appear darker when the wood is very pale or has an uneven appearance. If this is the case, consider yourself lucky: The stain burns through after a while and looks... messed up. Not necessarily an improvement!

It's a bummer that your first ukulele purchase did not turn out as you hoped, but take heart: The tuners on Kalas work just fine, and the fret board wood is bound to vary.

I'd see if the seller would be willing to send you a set of Ratio tuners, if that is really important to you...

Otherwise, I'd say enjoy this nice looking, good playing ukulele until...

Wait for it...

You decide to upgrade.

It will happen sooner that you might believe possible if you turn into a regular player... This is known as UAS, or ukulele acquisition syndrome, in these forums. It seems to affect most of us here on the UU boards... I'm about four years into playing at this point, and I'm up to 5 ukes in my personal collection. Very few of us manage to avoid catching this highly infectious condition...

Enjoy your shiny new Kala!

The tuners are the same, but they are not graphtec, like that tag (they do use them on some newer models). kala fretboard wood is all over the place color-wise, pale walnut to darker (I prefer the darker tbh). If the uke has a strap button on the bottom bout it's newer stock.

Well those obviously are not Ratio tuners... but I've never seen a Kala with those tuners before so I'm not so sure where that hang-tag came from... is it just offering them as a possible upgrade? Has Kala upgraded this instrument since I got mine? I'm not sure... It would be surprising to me that they would install a $30 set of tuners onto a $160 ukulele, but what do I know...

But: if you were supposed to get those I'd say you have an issue with the seller. (Mine has the exact same tuners as yours does, by the way)

Fret board materials vary greatly... these mid-level Kalas seem to use walnut... The one I have (in a concert size) looks like it has a walnut fret board, as does my KA-SSTU-t thin body version which is a few years old. I seem to remember that they stain these sometimes to make it appear darker when the wood is very pale or has an uneven appearance. If this is the case, consider yourself lucky: The stain burns through after a while and looks... messed up. Not necessarily an improvement!

It's a bummer that your first ukulele purchase did not turn out as you hoped, but take heart: The tuners on Kalas work just fine, and the fret board wood is bound to vary.

I'd see if the seller would be willing to send you a set of Ratio tuners, if that is really important to you...

Wait for it...

You decide to upgrade.

It will happen sooner that you might believe possible if you turn into a regular player... This is known as UAS, or ukulele acquisition syndrome, in these forums. It seems to affect most of us here on the UU boards... I'm about four years into playing at this point, and I'm up to 5 ukes in my personal collection. Very few of us manage to avoid catching this highly infectious condition...

Thanks for all that info, its very helpful in several areas. It will help me make a decision weather to return the Ukulele or keep it.

I paid £90 which is roughly $103 so I thought that was a good deal to start with, but please correct me, if I'm wrong? I've contacted the guy on Reverb and he's offered to reimburse me £30/$34 if I keep the Uke, or I can send it back for a full refund. Based on what I've read here, I'll probably keep it now, but I'd like to know if £60/

Wait for it...

You decide to upgrade.

Hi, and thanks for all the info, it's much appreciated and helps me make a decision what to do with the Ukulele? I do think I've got a good deal and if not, then please tell me and I'll send it back and get a full refund. Then I'll search for another Ukulele.

I paid £90 which is $103 and I thought I got a good deal as some people selling on reverb wanted a lot more.

I contacted the guy and told him I wasn't happy as the photos he was showing didn't match the Uku. So he has offered me a partial refund of £30/$34 and I think that's a good deal all around. What do you think? If I send it back I have to pay for the postage, so I'm thinking of just keeping it?

However, I am interested in the better tuners as the ones on there are not that good. Especially compared to what I'm used to on my favorite guitar.

Thanks again… much appreciated,

Geoff…

The tuners are the same, but they are not graphtec, like that tag (they do use them on some newer models). kala fretboard wood is all over the place color-wise, pale walnut to darker (I prefer the darker tbh). If the uke has a strap button on the bottom bout it's newer stock.
Thanks, for the, info. Please read the above reply and let me know what you think? Should I keep it, or send it back basically?

Geoff...

If you like it it, keep it. If there is something about it that bugs you, return it (cuz it will prob always bug you and you won't get the full enjoyment out of it)

Last edited:
Well, you got a great deal. I'd take the partial refund and smile with every strum. (mine was $80 used)

I buy Kalas all the time... I buy them for my students and probably own 10 of them, besides my own personal Travel Tenor... 3 KA-15s, 4 KA-15c, 2 KA-15t, a Makala pineapple, this one just like yours, a "dog hair" top one, a solid maple top tenor that I gave to our music teacher to get him hooked... even more, I can't recall right now... My school just purchased 25 KA-15 s'...

The tuners are fine. They stay in tune. I've only had one issue with a tuner and Kala replaced it: no charge, no questions asked.

My Advice: Don't let it bother you... Just play. Go for better tuners on your next uke when you upgrade.

And then take that $35 refund and go out for drinks with your S.O.! o_O

Well, you got a great deal. I'd take the partial refund and smile with every strum. (mine was $80 used)

I buy Kalas all the time... I buy them for my students and probably own 10 of them, besides my own personal Travel Tenor... 3 KA-15s, 4 KA-15c, 2 KA-15t, a Makala pineapple, this one just like yours, a "dog hair" top one, a solid maple top tenor that I gave to our music teacher to get him hooked... even more, I can't recall right now... My school just purchased 25 KA-15 s'...

The tuners are fine. They stay in tune. I've only had one issue with a tuner and Kala replaced it: no charge, no questions asked.

My Advice: Don't let it bother you... Just play. Go for better tuners on your next uke when you upgrade.

Thanks... All good advice. I'm no expert when it comes to Ukuleles - Guitars possibly, but Ukuleles is a whole new ball game for me...

I'm grateful to this forum.

Thanks again. 👍🏼

Geoff,

With the sellers offer of a decent partial refund I'd keep it if I were you. It was reasonably priced to start with. Now its in the " nice deal" category.
Use it and enjoy it. You will wind up buying another ukulele soon. Probably moving "up" the ladder. Good starter uke that can be your knock about later, or one you can pass on to a friend or use as a loaner etc. Keep it I think.

You got a great buy on that new entry level tenor ukulele from Kala. I have the same model that I purchased to keep in my Arizona vacation home. The tuners on mine are exactly the same as the ones in the Reverb ad and on the instrument you received. They stay in tune. My fretboard is stained dark, not light, as in the ad. I think these Kala laminates are great entry level ukuleles. I find the neck width at the nut to be a bit narrow compared to my others, but that would not be an issue for you, as you have experience with guitar. I hope you kept it,

Much agreed. I'd also take the partial refund and enjoy the ukulele. As long as it works and sounds great- Kala makes great ukuleles. Enjoy and when you're ready to make the next ukulele purchase- oh boy soooo many to choose from!

Top Bottom