Just got my first soprano! Ohana sk25 and she's a cutie except the G string is super duper tight and quiet compared to others.

Eggs_n_Ham

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
What a cute little uke! Simple no frills; someone called it a canon and it is indeed! I believe it's strung with Worth browns, sounds great but the G string is so tight I'm afraid it's going to pull up the bridge and when I pluck it it's extremely quiet. Almost like it's too tight to vibrate.
Is that possible?
I was thinking about changing the G string to see if it makes a difference...or should I leave it and see if it stretches and settles down? the other strings are nowhere near as tense and are really loud.

Is it tuned to a high g? Just a crazy thought, but could it be a low G string that was tuned up to high g?
I would immediately detune it and investigate before it does cause damage or snaps in your face.

[From Ukulele Movement: WORTH ukulele strings are manufactured in Japan and made of 100% Fluoro-carbon material.]

That’s strange...I think Wiggy’s idea could be possible. Also normally these come with Aquilas so the fact that there are Worth Browns on them seems to indicate it’s been restrung after the factory stringing.

I have had a couple of occasions with another uke where I was replacing the strings and the A string seemed to be getting so tight I thought it would snap. I’m not sure why that happens but different issue perhaps.

I would also remove that string pretty quickly and replace it.

Last edited:
Is it tuned to a high g? Just a crazy thought, but could it be a low G string that was tuned up to high g?
I would immediately detune it and investigate before it does cause damage or snaps in your face.

[From Ukulele Movement: WORTH ukulele strings are manufactured in Japan and made of 100% Fluoro-carbon material.]
I thought about that and lowered the frequency and the string got way too floppy to strum. OTOH, it makes the most sense. I just don't know.

That’s strange...I think Wiggy’s idea could be possible. Also normally these come with Aquilas so the fact that there are Worth Browns on them seems to indicate it’s been restrung after the factory stringing.

I have had a couple of occasions with another uke where I was replacing the strings and the A string seemed to be getting so tight I thought it would snap. I’m not sure why that happens but different issue perhaps.

I would also remove that string pretty quickly and replace it.
I think I read they come with Aquila strings, which tend to hurt my fingers so I don't use them. I was initially surprised the strings are brown.

I think I read they come with Aquila strings, which tend to hurt my fingers so I don't use them. I was initially surprised the strings are brown.
Maybe it is a returned uke that the original owner requested to be set up with worth string. Hopefully you bought it at big discount if it was used and modified by someone else.

perhaps it's been wrongly stringed which is why it didn't work for someone else! What is the order of visible diameter across the 4 positions?

If there’s an issue with the g string then I’d second the idea that an incorrect string has been fitted, and I’d also question why this Uke hasn’t got the standard Aquila’s on it too.

With a bit of practice it’s usually possible to ‘eyeball’ a set of strings and see which one belongs where. If they’re loose then the g and A strings can be separated from each other under a level straight edge, the g gets nipped and the (thinner) A is free to move.

There’s an outside chance - I really hope not - that it has a plain low G string on it that’s been over tensioned - obviously(?) a plain or unwound G string will be thicker than the C string.

It would be interesting to progressively slacken the g/G string to see at what pitch(s) it feels right and rings out well.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Is the ukulele tuned high-G or low-G?

Tests for correct high-G:
  • A high-G string thickness should be in between the thicknesses of the E string and the A string (eyeball it, feel it with fingers, or take if off and lay it between the E and A for comparison)
  • If the high-G is tuned to the correct octave it should sound exactly the same as fretting the E string at the 3rd fret. If the high-G sounds higher then it’s too tight.

Tests for correct low-G:
  • If the low-G string is plain unwound it should be the fattest string in the set.
  • If the low-G string is wound it should be slightly thinner than the plain unwound C string.
- If the low-G is tuned to the correct octave, when fretted at the 5th fret it should sound exactly the same as the unfretted C string.

What are the test results?

Cheers.

There’s an outside chance - I really hope not - that it has a plain low G string on it that’s been over tensioned - obviously(?) a plain or unwound G string will be thicker than the C string.
Pretty sure this is the answer. It's a fat string but by the time I tune it down to 196hz for low g it's too floppy to play. (Could it be a C string placed in the G position?) I replaced the G string with a g string from a set of fremont blacks and it's currently perfectly playable with what I believe is (my limited experience!) normal tension for re-entrant G. I tune to an oscillator tuner and it's at 392hz.
Much to my embarrassment, the uke is pictured on the site with brown strings and listed as coming with Worth browns. How I missed that I have no idea. I can be such a duh head. However, the G string was definitely problematic.
I'm reticent to call the uke store about it as you all have helped me sort out the problem and the ukulele is playing well and no damage was done.
Thank you to everyone that's helped me figure this string issue out!

...I'm reticent to call the uke store about it as you all have helped me sort out the problem and the ukulele is playing well....

392hz is true for high g. You are not a "duh head." The string did not feel or sound as you expected. The store (ACU) might actually appreciate the call, as it may help them in the future. A "heads up" is always good.

Standard Ukulele Tuning - A4(Hz):440
Semitones from Middle C Frequency (Hz)
g G4 g′ 392.00
C C4 c′ 261.63
E E4 e′ 329.63
A A4 a′ 440.00

Last edited:
I would have been confused about the string too.

Perhaps the seller had set it up when they received it (from what I’ve read on their site I believe they set up all their ukes), swapped out the strings and grabbed the wrong string in the process. Accidents happen to the best of us.

I’m glad the issue resolved, hope you enjoy the new little guy!

Last edited:
Pretty sure this is the answer. It's a fat string but by the time I tune it down to 196hz for low g it's too floppy to play. (Could it be a C string placed in the G position?) I replaced the G string with a g string from a set of fremont blacks and it's currently perfectly playable with what I believe is (my limited experience!) normal tension for re-entrant G. I tune to an oscillator tuner and it's at 392hz.

Out of interest and if you still have the old string then perhaps you might measure a small section of it next to the end of that that would have been in the machine head. The main section of string will, I suspect, have been stretched out and thinned by the over-tension it was subjected too, hence it not working when dropped back down to low G. I think that the low G diameter should have been about 0.9 mm or 0.036”. Someone might have tried using a C string as a low G and someone might have rearranged a standard gCEA set to GCEA by switching some strings - that’s been done before but I‘m not so sure about how well such ‘arrangements’ work in practice.

Whatever, it’s good that the Uke is now playing at least somewhere near as expected. I hope that the instrument gives you years of pleasure.

As others have suggested too I think that a call to the store questioning the strings fitted - the instrument is effectively shop soiled or second hand - would be reasonable. I appreciate that the sales description did mention the different strings but an explanation of why might prove helpful and a were you advised that it wasn’t in standard tuning?

Last edited:
Glad you got it sorted out. I was about to record my SK25 string by string so you could hear that the high G on it is not muted. It also doesn't have excessive tension. As you say, it's a little cannon, especially for its size. Enjoy

Out of interest and if you still have the old string then perhaps you might measure a small section of it next to the end of that that would have been in the machine head. The main section of string will, I suspect, have been stretched out and thinned by the over-tension it was subjected too, hence it not working when dropped back down to low G. I think that the low G diameter should have been about 0.9 mm or 0.036”. Someone might have tried using a C string as a low G and someone might have rearranged a standard gCEA set to GCEA by switching some strings - that’s been done before but I‘m not so sure about how well such ‘arrangements’ work in practice.

Whatever, it’s good that the Uke is now playing at least somewhere near as expected. I hope that the instrument gives you years of pleasure.

As others have suggested too I think that a call to the store questioning the strings fitted - the instrument is effectively shop soiled or second hand - would be reasonable. I appreciate that the sales description did mention the different strings but an explanation of why might prove helpful and a were you advised that it wasn’t in standard tuning?
Thanks GG!
I called the shop this morning and the owner stated the uke came from Ohana with Worth Browns. He also stated Ohana uses WB's on some of their ukes but not necessarily on the sk25. I mentioned the weird G string and he said he had no idea why it was wonky.

Thanks GG!
I called the shop this morning and the owner stated the uke came from Ohana with Worth Browns. He also stated Ohana uses WB's on some of their ukes but not necessarily on the sk25. I mentioned the weird G string and he said he had no idea why it was wonky.
That’s interesting. The shop have just admitted that they, and Ohana too, carried out insufficient QA on your instrument. It’s a guess but perhaps someone on the factory production line picked up a C or E string by mistake and fitted it to your instrument. Stuff happens … I’ve never heard of Ohana fitting WB strings before …

Whatever, you are now able to just play and enjoy your new Uke. May it give you years of pleasure.

Top Bottom