Journey Instruments OF660 travel guitar UPDATE!!!!!

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I sold it, see bottom post for details and pictures of the new gal.

I purchased an all carbon fiber travel guitar with detachable neck called the Journey Instruments OF660. As you can see from the pictures it is a marvel of engineering, the neck detaches and it fits neatly into a high quality travel bag. It’s is sized to meet airline carry on luggage size requirements, fits into the overhead compartment of an airplane. It has padded handles top and side along with shoulder srraps

Small size guitars can be on the quiet side, so is this one is but not real quiet. Some carbon fiber have a bright sound that is one dimensional and kinda brash, this does not. It is warm and mellow with very good deep bass notes and well balanced. It plays ok but even for its smalle size is a bit on the heavy side, 4lbs 12 oz. I will be taking this camping, travelling and can just leave it out with no worry about humidity or temperature fluctuations.
13E49796-2020-4C2F-95DF-1C19D9CCFD6D.jpegA97EEF57-6EF5-4418-8801-DA19855A4D31.jpeg7D4446F0-0C96-4348-BC21-56B7C55694C5.jpeg

Last edited:
That is interesting. I've seen pictures but never known anyone who has one. You will have to put it through the paces and get back to us. I always wondered if one could take those two screws out of the fretboard on a Baby Taylor and remove the neck like that, or if there was something more to it.

That is interesting. I've seen pictures but never known anyone who has one. You will have to put it through the paces and get back to us. I always wondered if one could take those two screws out of the fretboard on a Baby Taylor and remove the neck like that, or if there was something more to it.

I got it just before Christmas and have played it a lot. I brought it up to a friends cottage for 4 days over NewYears. We are flying to Mexico in a few days for a weeks vacation. This will be the first time flying with it, should be easy going. It really stays in tune quite well. My wood guitars go in and out with the cold weather and humidity changes, not this one.

I plan to take it on some bicycle tours this coming summer and will give a report on how it fairs

Reactions: tm3
I flew to Mexico with this for 10 day vacation in the sun and it was brilliant. The case that comes with it is really well thought out and executed, top quality. The backpack straps are very comfortable and hide away in a back panel when not in use. Many generous pockets allow packing all your electronics, eye glasses, ear buds, a book etc. Being the size of a carry on it was easy to just stow overhead and forget about it.

I left it assembled the whole time down there and it stays in tune with no deviation. I had it on a collapsible guitar stand made by Hercules, I have a uke sized one as well.

17E165A9-7FCB-435C-8B75-F5F7AE745D07.jpeg4D4E1E6E-93F4-4DE3-AD55-80D323EDC235.jpeg

I have had one for a few years and love it. Mine is the glossy one. Holding up well and sounds almost as good as my expensive wood ones.

Those who are on the guitar forums love them. ❤️

I assume that you have to detune the strings to break down or assemble. What keeps the strings from uncoiling on the tuners?

I assume that you have to detune the strings to break down or assemble. What keeps the strings from uncoiling on the tuners?
I've always assumed that they are some sort of locking turners. Wondering if I'm right?

The UPDATE is I sold it. Two main reasons, playability and volume. The neck shape is a D with a flat area at the back. I just could not get along with it, was my most difficult to fret guitar. I tried everything from lowering the action just short of buzzing to extra light strings. The other issue was volume, it's on the quiet side, but the over all tone was nice with a good amount of bass. But I have a soft touch and you almost couldn't hear when finger picked

I ordered a Journey Instruments OF 312 all mahogany guitar from Amazon. It has the same detachable neck and travel case/backpack. I played both side by side and there was a big difference on both accounts. This has a round C shaped neck which I am use to and has excellent volume and tone. The OF660 was sold and it's been 4 months with the new gal and she's a keeper.

The all carbon 0F660 would have been great if I lived on a sailboat or camper van but I dont.

20240405_130335.jpg20240405_130243.jpg20240405_130153.jpg

Last edited:
The UPDATE is I sold it. Two main reasons, playability and volume. The neck shape is a D with a flat area at the back. I just could not get along with it, was my most difficult to fret guitar. I tried everything from lowering the action just short of buzzing to extra light strings. The other issue was volume, it's on the quiet side, but the over all tone was nice with a good amount of bass. But I have a soft touch and you almost couldn't hear when finger picked

I ordered a Journey Instruments OF 312 all mahogany guitar from Amazon. It has the same detachable neck and travel case/backpack. I played both side by side and there was a big difference on both accounts. This has a round C shaped neck which I am use to and has excellent volume and tone. The OF660 was sold and it's been 4 months with the new gal and she's a keeper.

The all carbon 0F660 would have been great if I lived on a sailboat or camper van but I dont.

View attachment 170142View attachment 170143View attachment 170144
Looks great, congratulations!

Top Bottom