I've gone fretless

UkeOkay

Reaction score
I traded a tenor for a fretless u-bass (plus some cash - it was a nice tenor). Being relatively new to the bass I had shied away from a fretless version. While I've only played it a short while, I think its very nice - it forces you to think about (listen to) your finger placement on every note. That, in theory, should make me a better player.

It's got white thunderguts which I find are quite sticky, so I'll be changing out the strings in short order. With the fretless, there is such a temptation to do long slides and the thunderguts resisit that with all their might.

It's got white thunderguts which I find are quite sticky, so I'll be changing out the strings in short order. With the fretless, there is such a temptation to do long slides and the thunderguts resisit that with all their might.
My I suggest the Kala/Galli flatwounds, especially for fretless. I gave up on all the poly strings because in even mild humid conditions, they get sticky. I use the flatwounds on all my bass ukes, acoustic and solid body, and no, the warnings are not valid, they do not cause any tension problems.

Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 36)
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I got used to fretless playing fiddle. It's really not that bad, and it offers more freedom in "customizing" your solos!

I traded a tenor for a fretless u-bass (plus some cash - it was a nice tenor). Being relatively new to the bass I had shied away from a fretless version. While I've only played it a short while, I think its very nice - it forces you to think about (listen to) your finger placement on every note. That, in theory, should make me a better player.

Fretless is horrifying to me and I feel like I would need something like thunderguts to have the fortitude to approach it. Kudos!

My I suggest the Kala/Galli flatwounds, especially for fretless. I gave up on all the poly strings because in even mild humid conditions, they get sticky. I use the flatwounds on all my bass ukes, acoustic and solid body, and no, the warnings are not valid, they do not cause any tension problems.
I'm planning on going with the flatwounds - I have a set on my Kala SUB UBass. I just with they weren't so expensive. It's like that old adage about doubling the value of your old car when you fill it with gas.

I'd probably need to replace the nut like I did on the SUB. Unfortunately, Kala is out of stock on the flatwound sized nut. I've not found another source. The new ubass is a Aklot if that makes a difference.

I'd probably need to replace the nut like I did on the SUB. Unfortunately, Kala is out of stock on the flatwound sized nut. I've not found another source. The new ubass is a Aklot if that makes a difference.
I usually don't change the nut, but if I do, I have them made for my bass ukes (ubass is strictly a Kala designation) by my luthier, Eric's Guitar in Van Nuys, CA, simple enough job and not very costly.

I love my Kala solid spruce top fretless and of course I use Pahoehoes. And, yes, I have trimmed the sting ends, actually, I need to unwind, rewind a trim again...😁🤙🎶
IMG_20190527_103445935.jpg

It's easier when you keep only two (one fretted, one fretless of course!)
But I have 30. I tried fretless a few years ago, but with all my others fretted, it was too awkward to use on occasion. I'm very comfortable with fretted.

Top Bottom