It's almost time to: PLAY BALL! Predict your team's record for this year

bbkobabe

Reaction score
OK: Spring is here, hope springs eternal, and we've had some time to see who's on our favorite team this year...

So, how many wins will your team end up with? And do they make the playoffs?

I'll Start: The SF Giants have put all their eggs into the pitching basket, and their list of hurlers is formidable. Solid defense to back them up as well. They are showing early signs of being a team that will run, steal bases, and mess with the opposing pitcher's heads. They are leading in steals during spring training and causing havoc with the new rules and the pizza box bases. It's going to be fun to watch them messing with the opposing pitcher's rhythm. That is: If they can get on base... They don't have many hitters with solid power on the roster. They will need to take advantage of "small ball" strategies to score runs. But they just don't have enough hitting to make a playoff run, and I'm seeing 87wins and just missing the final wild card spot... unless they can make a major trade or unless everything goes perfectly as it did two years ago...

Looking at the rest of the division? San Diego has bought an amazing team and are expected to run away with the division. Could happen! If they have enough pitching to hold off the contenders that is. And they have a lot of big egos and players making bad decisions with their off the field behavior so it could go south for them. I'm predicting many dramatic high scoring games... and a lot of 9-7 type outcomes. we'll see which end of those games the Pod's end up on. But with all that hitting, they should take the division... If they can all stay on the same page!

The Dodgers are in a rebuilding year, saving their money, and giving Kershaw his (expensive) victory lap. They are waiting for the end of the year to try and win the Ohtani sweepstakes. I bet they will, so watch for the Dodgers to make him the first half a billion dollar player next year. But they look like a .500 team today so at least they are out of the way. They might squeak into the wildcard slot if they do a LOT of in-season trading, and if they don't it could be the end for Roberts as manager. He has endured incredible heat from the fans over the last couple of years, despite the fact they keep winning the division. If they end up at .500 and get Ohtani, I predict the management will do a complete reset, clean house, and Roberts will be out!

The rest of the division looks like they have talent levels similar to the Giant's and the Dodgers: Lots of good players but not standouts. I see the Rockies, Arizona - which both also have talented teams lacking star power - plus the Dodgers and the Giants all playing each other evenly and ending up near .500 in the inter-divisional play. The only variable is that the schedule has the NL West teams playing each other far less this year with this new balanced scheme, so that will add a new wrinkle to the whole race. It will make things harder to predict and may lead to some unexpected outcomes.

So: Giant's at 87 wins and narrowly missing the wild card as it stands today after a very entertaining season full of tight 3-2 type games.

BTW: Did Bob Uecker ever play a ukulele? That would be hilarious... Photos, anyone?

STOP THE PRESSES:
1-uke19.jpg

No, wait... that's Bob Uecker with a tuba... my mistake!

ueckeruke.gif

OK, getting closer...

My only prediction is this: the Dodgers will somehow choke. Not sure exactly how, could be one or more of several ways. lead the division the entire season and not win it in the end... choke. lead the entire way and not get out of the first round of the playoffs... choke. take the division at the very end after seemingly having no chance with a few weeks left in the season, then not get out of the first round... choke. make the LCS, go up 3-1 in the series, then not win it... choke. lead then entire way, storm through to the world series and not win it... choke. the possibilities are almost endless... and I'm not a hater, I'm a fan!

My only prediction is this: the Dodgers will somehow choke. Not sure exactly how, could be one or more of several ways. lead the division the entire season and not win it in the end... choke. lead the entire way and not get out of the first round of the playoffs... choke. take the division at the very end after seemingly having no chance with a few weeks left in the season, then not get out of the first round... choke. make the LCS, go up 3-1 in the series, then not win it... choke. lead then entire way, storm through to the world series and not win it... choke. the possibilities are almost endless... and I'm not a hater, I'm a fan!

Wow... you sound like an optimist!

Look at their line-up: The got rid of every impact player they had. And yet every scenario you propose has them leading their division.

There are like a minor league team with a few once great players now past their prime plus a couple of awesome pitchers... how are they going to win their division?

How about this possibility: They struggle to stay at .500 and are totally irrelevant?

You really are a homer! ;)

I'm watching my Warriors crash and burn after last year's championship. I'm not even sure they'll make the play in at this point.
Stanford women lost too which kills. I guess I have to find someone else to cheer for.
Is this a new sub forum? I don't remember it popping up before

I read your post like: Blah blah NL team, blah blah another NL team, blah blah not again! Outta here. 😅 But I do have that springtime hope.

I read your post like: Blah blah NL team, blah blah another NL team, blah blah not again! Outta here. 😅 But I do have that springtime hope.
Fine then: I'm done talking about my team... Let's hear about your team already! We won't hold it against you if it's an AL team...

If nothing else, do something productive: go find a pic of Bob Uecker holding a ukulele...

Last edited:
I'm a Padres fan and am ridiculously excited about this year. Our lineup, defense (particularly the infield), and pitching rotation are all things to be VERY excited about. The new signings and extensions are a lot to be happy for. I think this is the year we win the division as the Dodgers are starting to look less invincible.

AL-wise, the closest team to me is the Mariners. I live in Canada and am a very fair-weather Jays fan. But deep down I like the M's more. I'd like to see them make the playoffs this year beyond squeaking it into the Wild Card and blowing it.

EDIT: I have to add that I've been watching Spring Training games and I love the pitch clock and shift ban. I think the game is going to be much more exciting this season and all the wackiness the clock add only adds to the fun, IMO. Also, the World Baseball Classic was a lot of fun to watch. The whole thing coming down to Ohtani striking out Trout seems like it was crazily scripted.

Those are basically all my comments on baseball on here for the next few months!

Also, the World Baseball Classic was a lot of fun to watch. The whole thing coming down to Ohtani striking out Trout seems like it was crazily scripted.
That was simply unbelievable. Could not possibly be a more emblematic baseball moment. I'll never get tired of talking about it!

Well, look who's leading the NL west/NL with the second best record and longest current win streak in the majors...

I'm watching my Warriors crash and burn after last year's championship. I'm not even sure they'll make the play in at this point.
I know this is a baseball thread, but I was just getting over the pain of the Dubs poor playoff performance and this brings it back up. Bay Area sports fans have been spoiled in the last decade or so. We kinda just expect rings😁

I know this is a baseball thread, but I was just getting over the pain of the Dubs poor playoff performance and this brings it back up. Bay Area sports fans have been spoiled in the last decade or so. We kinda just expect rings😁
Yes. Had season tickets for 30 years so went through 20 years of time you couldn't give tickets away. Luckily I got to see some of the championships! It should be an interesting off-season
Now--go A's. Yes, I know they're in the cellar now, but they've been my team for decades.

you're too young... us Norcal old timers had to watch Clifford Ray, Rick Barry, etc. (before the kings arrived) and were forced into becoming Lakers fans. who are BTW playing over their heads. I went to one finals game at the forum during college, Lakers-celtics 1984 or 85, can't even remember what game, year, or who won. lol.

you're too young... us Norcal old timers had to watch Clifford Ray, Rick Barry, etc. (before the kings arrived) and were forced into becoming Lakers fans. who are BTW playing over their heads. I went to one finals game at the forum during college, Lakers-celtics 1984 or 85, can't even remember what game, year, or who won. lol.
LOL! Run TMC got me hooked. Still have all the basketball cards I got signed at the games plus my Larry Smith Hardhat Club hardhat. I love when the defensive guys get their fan groups.

Today the SF Giants have "Aloha Foodie Shirt" day promotion. I believe an ukulele is featured for the national anthem before the game (Jonah Davis?). I will tune in right at the broadcast start and hope it is shown.

The quick backstory is it was posted on FB Thursday evening that he was having issues with his pickup and was trying to repair it while having his spare sent from Maui.

Today the SF Giants have "Aloha Foodie Shirt" day promotion. I believe an ukulele is featured for the national anthem before the game (Jonah Davis?). I will tune in right at the broadcast start and hope it is shown.

The quick backstory is it was posted on FB Thursday evening that he was having issues with his pickup and was trying to repair it while having his spare sent from Maui.
I just woke up from a short nap. I imagined him working on a truck. I would like one of those shirts.

Unfortunately, they did not show the national anthem. But the Giants did win again while the Dodgers lost again.

The shirts should be valued for being so tacky!

Found a FB link to Twitter link to the tremendous performance of "The Star Spangled Banner". It was by Derrick Sebastian (from Maui) before the SF Giants game.

Top Bottom