Song Help Request Is two finger picking (like a bass) bad technique?

mark10

Reaction score
I'm playing this not plugged in. When plugged in, hammer ons and pulloffs are great but acoustic I find this bass picking seems to work. Is it bad technique? Two videos for reference

... I find this bass picking seems to work. Is it bad technique?
That's what I do when not strumming. Thumb picks 3,4. Index and middle pick 1,2. Thumb and index pair up for 2,3.

Whether the thumb first picks the 3rd or 4th first depends on the chord shape and if the high or low note should appear first. Sometimes it goes 4,3 and other times 3,4, You just have to listen and choose. Similar for strings 1,2 and 2,3.

<edit> I try to imitate forward and reverse banjo rolls and mostly arpeggiate, but find it the same when trying to truly fingerpick, which I can't do yet. Mostly just transitional notes to the next chord.

(This is bluegrass "Scruggs" picking, not clawhammer.)

Last edited:
Thank you! It's actually a tenor

I am happy to learn this is acceptable and that it's even got an Italian name
i'm not sure about what is 'acceptable' or not as judged by others.
i have my own way that i play and it works for me.
i took no lessons and taught myself and i enjoy to play the songs i cover and write.
i honestly don't believe there is a right or wrong technique -
on any instrument, frankly.
you play how it feels comfortable for you and you adapt that style to
whatever song/genre of music you're tackling.
that's what i've been doing my whole life.
and what Jim said is so true. play to your ears and your own feel. :)

If it sounds good, it is good.
I can’t say it any better than brother Yates did. Sorry for the ongoing banjo references but I’m sure no one ever told Earl Scruggs, Don Reno, Tony Trishka, Dan Tuzinski, Bela Fleck or (back to uke-Don) Jake Shimabukuro that using a certain combination of fingers was a bad thing.

I think the 4 finger technique is mostly used for low-G classical music. If you watch these 3 guys play (3 of the all time most influential ukulele players), they are never picking with more than their thumbs and 1 or 2 other fingers. On a high-G ukulele, you use your C string for your low notes, so it makes sense to use your thumb on the G and C strings.

Thank you! It's actually a tenor

I am happy to learn this is acceptable and that it's even got an Italian name
It is a Spanish term, but whatever: romance languages are romance languages. But I do want to give a word of caution. There are snobs out there and if you say you're playing picado, some people will criticize that you're not alternating your index an middle fingers or that the angle of your attack is wrong, etc etc. So in conversions I usually say I use a style 'based' on picado or on Travis picking so that I purists cannot deploy elenchus or dialectic or whatever the term is to down-grade what I do.

There is absolutely nothing with this thumb-and-two-finger roll!

I think the 4 finger technique is mostly used for low-G classical music. If you watch these 3 guys play (3 of the all time most influential ukulele players), they are never picking with more than their thumbs and 1 or 2 other fingers. On a high-G ukulele, you use your C string for your low notes, so it makes sense to use your thumb on the G and C strings.

I like it! The large fellow on the left made me think of Roy Clark.

I had the chance to watch Herb Ohta, Jr. perform and teach at this year's Strathmore UkeFest. He never used more than his thumb and index finger. I haven't checked, but I imagine his dad, Herb Ohta, Sr. (Ohta-san) does the same. Neither one is a slouch and I doubt anyone ever told them they were doing it wrong!

Two of them were using taped-on thumb picks.
A lot of professional ukulele players use either thumb picks or artificial fingernails. I'm not going to call that bad technique.

Top Bottom