Is this an actual technique or just how Tobias plays?

necessaryrooster

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Here's the video I'm talking about:

The technique I'm referring to is how he strums by kind of pinching his index finger and thumb together. I have the tabs for this song, and there are a couple parts where you're supposed to pluck the g-e-a all at once and skip the c string, and he does this by sweeping up with his index while plucking down with his thumb instead of using index/middle/thumb to pluck all three at the same time, or instead of muting the c string and just doing a strum.

Not sure if this makes sense.

I tried this for a while when I was practicing diminished chords (not dim7, but straight up diminished chords). And it seemed useful for playing triads where you want not to play one of the four strings. However I found it very difficult to get the volume I wanted and to get all the string volumes to match. I gravitated away from the technique for pinching 3 or 4 strings simultaneously. I do frequently pinch two strings together.

It's a Kimo Hussey technique. This might have what you are looking for...
I will be practicing this very useful strum pattern:
Kimo Hussy Ukulele Workshop - RH Techniques

1:20
Pointer finger Brush down (nail side brushes down)
Thumb Brush down (pad side brushes down)
Pointer finger Brush down (pad side brushes up)

2:39 to End
Purposes of RH
Creatively using the above "Kimo" strum

Thanks for the tip!

Purposes of RH

Thanks for the tip!

Oooooh. Thank you!

I play this way a lot, but I just stumbled onto it... didn't know it was a thing...

Purposes of RH

Thanks for the tip!

OMG this has opened up my insecure perennial beginner ukulele player world! Proves there are no hard and fast rules!

OMG this has opened up my insecure perennial beginner ukulele player world! Proves there are no hard and fast rules!
It is an instrument that has only been around 150 years, I'm sure there is innovations to come in play style.

I know! I love this technique! I've been practicing it and it is so much fun to strum like this!! I mean, I don't play at all like Kimo (lol, no kidding), but it's a fun new to me approach. He's so incredible.

If you check out Tobias’ Patreon page he has a few videos on this style, called Cheri picking. I believe he learned it from James Hill. There was a thread on it a number of years ago here. Those guys make it look easy, but it’s tough!

Top Bottom