Is "Anchoring" Acceptable When Fingerpicking?

It is acceptable for me. As far as the finish, if I play a uke enough to wear a spot through the finish I will be pretty proud of it. Anyway, in the words of one of my guitar teachers way back when, "strafe those strings, don't dive bombing them. Don't be afraid to touch the top of the guitar." That carried over to my ukulele playing.
@Rllink - In the bluegrass world, such wear is not only acceptable, it's "service stripes". If your fiddle isn't coated in white bow resin dust and anchoring hasn't worn a clear swath in the white facing on your banjo drum head just in front of the bridge and immediately below the high D string, it's clear that you ain't a serious musician.

I’ve started taking Jeff Peterson’s classes at Ukulele Corner. I’m having to rebuild my technique, since his approach is based on classical guitar. He starts off with anchoring your thumb on the 4th string right below the fingerboard. The back knuckle where each finger meets the palm should be above the string it is plucking for maximum tone and efficiency. So, the forearm needs to move depending on what finger is plucking what string. Eventually the thumb needs to come off the 4th string, but it helps to train your hand position at first.

He does also include anchoring in later lessons. Not that one is right or wrong, just different needs for the music being played.

Glad to hear you joined UCA.😀

Well, shut my mouth. :)

Whatever works for you is totally acceptable. I always felt like it limited my mobility and caused extra tension in my hand, and I didn’t experience any benefit.

Watching the Aldrine and Matt Dahlberg concert live now. Both anchor and are using their thumbs (only) for fingerpicking.

I bought a ukulele with a cut out for the first time last summer... and I love to slip my pinky "over the edge" when I pick... it really improves my finger picking sound, IMHO. Now I want all my ukes to be this way! If UAS strikes again, I will be looking for this feature in any future purchases!

Hi, here's my second fingerpicking question for the day...

When I'm fingerpicking, I find it much, MUCH easier when I keep a finger or two anchored on the soundboard. If I keep all my fingers free, I find it almost impossible to pick smoothly. Is this an okay way to play (I think I've seen experienced players do it, but I'm not sure)? Or is it a bad habit that I need to get rid of? Or is it something that's acceptable for a beginner and I should transition away from it with experience?

Thanks for your help!

Honestly, when I first started playing I was really hung up on which fingers I should be picking with, anchored / not anchored etc

Fast forward this is my view.. A lot of picking styles are designed to make things easier ie. Certain songs will benefit a 3 finger approach, some a picado etc. At the start I was like.. I have to do it this way. Then I saw some of the top Uke players using just their thumb.

Cut a long story short I find that now I use all techniques in a song depending on what’s required. Sometimes I anchor / sometimes it would hinder me. I’m sure a classical guitarist would criticise my technique but it works for me so it’s not something I feel I need to change.

Here is a very rough recording I took so I don’t forget how I play a loop I make up. But if you look at my right hand you’ll see it changes all the time like I said. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
If someone gives you grief about it, calmly look them in the eye and pee all over their shoes

If someone gives you grief about it, calmly look them in the eye and pee all over their shoes
I don't think anybody's giving OP any grief. I think the OP wants to know whether anchoring the pinky on the uke soundboard is bad. He's asked for opinions (in addition to his teacher's), and UU seems to have supplied him with many.

I've been fingerpicking guitar and uke since 1973. It's necessary, to be precise. Helps with string accuracy and speed. Definitely.

Taimane anchors with 2 fingers when she is picking with her other 3 fingers. On the other hand, if she is only picking with her thumb, she does not anchor on top of the sound board (but may hold her other fingers on the lower side of the ukulele).

Magicspeller ~ If anchoring helps you, then do it. When anchoring is not working for you, try a different approach. Sometimes there is a better, more efficient way to do a specific thing on the uke, so it’s good to ask the question. But most ways are neither right nor wrong, as long as they work for you and don’t hurt. It’s your instrument and your journey. You’re allowed to make it as unique as you want. :)

When you start anchoring, it's a hard habit to break. Ask me how I know!

And you know what, I don't care. My playing is pure play, so I make the rules and I enjoy the anchor.

Bluesy.

... most ways are neither right nor wrong, as long as they work for you and don’t hurt...
Hmm... I just "observed" myself and noticed that I don't anchor, but do occasionally touch my ring finger to the surface to gauge how high off the fretboard I am.

If it hurts, then I am doing it wrong. I do use a strap so the uke stays in place if I momentarily let it go. Having the uke in a comfortable position and at the best angle to avoid fretting wrist pain goes a long way to ease playing.

I've spent literally years getting my fingers, hands, wrist positions, and chose chord shapes for minimal effort.

<edit> I guess, "We all just do what we do."

Last edited:
I am not really involved in the decision. Sometimes my hand anchors sometimes it doesn't. It probably has something to do with the context of the playing. The hand may need more support for playing certain things than for others. Also it depends on your style. If you play PIMA you don't really need an anchor. However I play PPIM, so sometimes an anchor is necessary. There are countless videos of accomplished musicians anchoring and not anchoring, so just do what feels right for your body.

My approach to everything musical: if it sounds right, it is right! Don’t listen to the purists and the snobs and the detractors - it’s the end result that counts. And my other golden rule - enjoy yourself! Here endeth the lesson! :)

Sometimes I think the answer is if you get good results, do it. I have seen musicians at various levels get hindered by what the "rules" say. It is often more important to focus on the outcome and what helps you get there. I will say, that SOMETIMES there are cases where a short term fix can cause problems down the road, but there are times when someone does things against the rules and has great results.

View attachment 142880
Love this pic. I was a trumpet/Mus Ed Major at Berklee. Diz was playing at a club near Fenway Park around 1978-79. I had enough money for admission and 2 beers. I sat down front the whole evening. During one of his solos, he looked down at me and crossed his eyes!
My mother met him at Cleveland Airport. She tapped him on the shoulder. Excuse me, are you Dizzy? He replied, no maam, I feel just fine!!!!!

Top Bottom