Improbable chord

Joe Strummer

Reaction score
I can’t say it is impossible, because I just watched James Hill do it while playing Georgia. He does a barre on the second fret, a scrunched partial barre on the third, and uses his ring finger on the 4th. Ouch. Any tips for getting this?

I can do it the way you describe if I angle my finger diagonally. However the easiest way for me to to barre the 2nd with my middle finger, barre the 3 treble strings of the 3rd fret with my ring finger, and use the pinky on the 4th fret.

When I started, a number of instructors/pros demonstrated a nice reverse bend of the finger knuckles. They all said work on it slowly and it will come just like it did for them. After a few months, with this making my arthritis worse and little or no progress being made, I realized that they were all decades younger and likely more flexible to begin with. I stopped forever.

So my work around is to play the bottom three strings only as a x433 chord. Sounds fine and my fingers are happy.

Are you sure? 2433 would be AEGC simply Am7. Why such a complicated voicing?

It is particularly tricky that he doesn’t provide guidance on how to barre the chord. Maybe it is an intentional puzzle. The voicing is partly for melodic purposes. I think it is also because he uses similar 3 note clusters at the bottom of the chord in other places, like
x

There’s a really interesting chord he notates as D9 voiced as

There’s a lot of dissonance in this piece that somehow ends up sounding gentle. It reminds me a bit of Debussy that way.

Last edited:
Old age, surgery and arthritis have compromised my left hand. When I want to play Am7 in that region of the fretboard, I use 0453. Not a moveable chord but I find it very useful.

I can't barre any chord to save my life, but now I want to try this out of curiosity...

It is in James Hill’s Duets For One book. I’m an intermediate uke player, and I’m able to play all the other chords. Thanks for the excellent tips on getting this barre chord! I should be able to get it with some practice.

I treat 2433 (AEGC) as an inversion of a C6, but it has the same notes as an Am7. I don't play it as a barre chord, but play the 2nd fret/4th string with my index, 4th fret/3rd string with my pinky, 3rd fret/2nd string with my bird and 3rd fret/1st string with my ring.
Of course you can obtain the same notes (in a different order and some in different octaves) by playing all strings open 0000 (GCEA).

Last edited:
now that I know which chord we're talking about...I use this shape a lot and here's what I do: I barre the 2nd fret with my index by covering the treble strings and muting the G string with the tip of my index and then I use my pinky to get that high note on the 4th fret. It is a rootless chord but it sounds good in the context. The up-side is that I can form this shape in a twinkling of an eye whereas if I play all four strings it takes me a bit of time since I cannot hyperextend my distal phalanges and have to fret the chord with separate fingers.

I love the gm7 shape but on most ukes I would not use a barre at all but use a finger for each string with pinky reaching up to the C string. However, when I just played on my KoAloha concert with a fairly narrow neck I can also press the E and A strings with the middle finger and the index finger flattens by itself though of course pressure is only needed at the tip.

Though I don't think I would use it as am7, cause I prefer to use it in key of F as a slide from Bb6 to C with G string open.

Last edited:
It is in James Hill’s Duets For One book. I’m an intermediate uke player, and I’m able to play all the other chords. Thanks for the excellent tips on getting this barre chord! I should be able to get it with some practice.
i got past freight train and i saw the light but georgia was too much for me i guess! any ideas on a different one in that book that would be a little more at the level of the first 2? Maybe I'm just not into that song. I initially bought it because that cover he does of Here Comes The Rain Again is incredible to me, I could take another crack at that one. I fell off when I switched to Low G for a while but your boy is back again with the High G for a month or two now. Any ideas would be great!

Change the 2433 to 0453 as an option. These are the exact same notes as the g string goes from an A to a G note, and the E string goes from the G to an A.

Same notes in a different order.

Top Bottom