I don't think this is cool at all

For years, at our annual family Christmas party, I would bring a half bushel of oysters (fresh off the boat as I live on an island) they would get eaten as fast as I could "shuck" them!
Good times...🦪🦪🦪🦪

Yeah! Page 30 has been reached!

Oysters for everyone... And now we all know who the most - and least - reputable ukulele dealers are as well... it's a win-win.

Time to hit Oliver's market for some fresh Hog Islands oysters... fresh out of Tomales Bay... Come on over!

depending on where one guys their oysters or ukuleles, may need to prepare by being near a toilet or luthier if problem is fixable.

Attachments

• 20282A22-1F1C-412D-9EF8-CE6F75691047.jpeg
    20282A22-1F1C-412D-9EF8-CE6F75691047.jpeg
    382.2 KB · Views: 9
Yeah! Page 30 has been reached!

Oysters for everyone... And now we all know who the most - and least - reputable ukulele dealers are as well... it's a win-win.

Time to hit Oliver's market for some fresh Hog Islands oysters... fresh out of Tomales Bay... Come on over!
Okay... now let's set our sights on the word game posts. 500k posts might get us in the top five.

+1. Was going to agree w separate thread for festival and post why not go back here...then the post above showed up.

I would bet that Bernadette would give you her "printable" if you ask, just like a lot of the other stuff she provides. You know the festival got it from her for free. Charging extra for it is BS imo, and so is advertising vendors that are not there (maybe things aren't so rosy in ultpworld?).
The Los Angeles Ukulele Festival was this past weekend where I met folks who'd gone to Uke-CON and guess what, you were right - after providing workshop materials to Terry for free, artists were surprised & not very happy to find out attendees had to shell out 20 bucks for 'em!

The Los Angeles Ukulele Festival was this past weekend where I met folks who'd gone to Uke-CON and guess what, you were right - after providing workshop materials to Terry for free, artists were surprised & not very happy to find out attendees had to shell out 20 bucks for 'em!
That's so disappointing.

Now onto the stuff that many of you are more interested in: Why I won't go back.

First there is the matter of poor organizational planning. My husband and I arrived at the center, only to find there was no parking and we'd have to park blocks away and walk. There was also no handicapped parking, which while neither I nor my husband need, others certainly did. The entry was poorly planned and painfully slow with regard to the intake, which meant that attendees were lined up outside in the heat for nearly an hour to get in.

View attachment 143060

The intake was also flawed in that you were required to stand in two different lines to get both access into the event and raffle tickets. No one told us we needed to get in a second line, and consequently we did not receive our raffle tickets. I had to go practically beg for them mid way through the event so I could get into the raffle.

Second, the event with the mainstage was not air conditioned. There were a few fans, which helped, but the humidity was oppressive and frankly, it was more humid than anything I experienced in Hawaii! Lots of people were uncomfortable, myself and my husband included. TC said that next year he hopes to have a venue with air conditioning.

Next, the vendors were a disappointment. ULTP advertised the following on its webpage for the event:

DEALERS:
  • KoAloha
  • Kanile'a
  • Romero Creations
  • Kala
  • Ohana
  • Flight
  • Ukelandia
  • Rebel
  • Uke Like The Pros
There were no vendor tables for KoAloha, Kanile'a, Ohana, and Flight, and I don't recall whether there was one for Rebel. Kala had a presence there, as did Romero. And of course, ULTP had a large table that included everything under the sun, including Kala ukes sporting a headstock with "Uke Like the Pros" stamped on it. I really had hoped to see and at least hold some of the ukes from the mentioned manufacturers. I was genuinely disappointed that I was led to believe there would be a presence there and none existed for these name brands.

Fourth, there is the ick factor, and this angered me and put the nail in the coffin as to why I won't go back. When I bought my tickets, I was excited to attend the workshops. I was especially excited to attend Bernadette's, because hers was the first YouTube video lesson I took, and I got so much from watching her YouTube vids. At the workshop, she asked us all to turn to page XXX in our workbooks. Most of us looked at her, puzzled, as we had not received any such workbook for the workshops. Mumblings went around about not receiving anything, while others mentioned that they got theirs via email. Others had a physical copy of what looked like a nice, full color booklet that had cool stuff in it, including the music for what was needed to participate in the workshop. But most of us were empty handed and frustrated.

I went out to the ULTP booth and complained that neither my husband nor I received the booklet, and that we'd like one. I was told I had to purchase it online when I bought my tickets. I countered that back when I bought my tickets, no such thing was offered or described and it was needed to get the benefit of the workshops. Instead of giving it to me, she offered to sell it to me for twenty bucks. Rather than tell her where she could store her merchandise, I bit my tongue bloody, turned on my heel, and walked.

I stayed long enough to see who won the raffles, and then my husband and I left before the event was over.
Good morning. I'm sure some of you are curious about my experience at the ULTP festival yesterday. Am I glad I went? Yes. Would I go again? Not on your life.

First, let's get to the positive. Was the music incredible? You bet. The music was so skillfully performed that on more than one occasion, I yelled, "Holy crap!" and nearly dropped my uke in applause. Strumming hands flying so fast they were blurred. Fretting hands all over the neck in a wild frenzy that was ear candy. And yes, even seasoned artists can make a mistake here and there, which was heart warming for a noob like me and taught me a valuable lesson in the vulnerability of professionals, and the compassion of a uke-based audience just out to enjoy the love of music.

I attended some of the workshop sessions, which unfortunately meant missing some of the performances that were going on simultaneously. Attending some of the performances, in turn, meant missing some of the workshops that I had wanted to attend. Of the workshops I did attend, I found one very interesting. Joe Souza from Kanilea gave a fascinating talk about building ukes, harvesting only felled and dead trees, sustainability, finishes, etc., and he brought samples of pieces of ukes in the building process to pass around so we could all see exactly what he was talking about. Really impressive.

Other workshops were just plain fun, with a play along, but not so much to offer in the education department. In other words, I'm still struggling with that pesky Bb, and I groaned audibly when it was announced a Bb would be needed for a play along, much to the amusement and chuckling of more seasoned players around me. But we all laughed about it, so it's all good.

I met people from all over the planet. Someone even flew in from the UK for the event. Like me, she's only been playing a few months, but she's been bitten by the UAS syndrome severely. She already has 27 ukes and she even won another in the raffle later in the evening. Another couple I met flew in from Washington, and they were customers of ULTP, and very pro TC. I met people from other states as well, and some from northern California, too. The people I met were all really nice. Just the type of kind souls you'd expect at a uke festival.

And I got to meet some of the artists as well. I met UU's own Aldrine Guerrero, who put on a stellar performance as well as a fun workshop. He, and others, remarked on what a beautiful uke I brought, so I was beaming with pride.
View attachment 143059

(Speaking of my beautiful uke, one of the attendees I met also had an Enya Nova tenor in black. When I pulled my uke out of its case to show it to him and his wife, they gasped wide-eyed. Man, was I ever thrilled with that reaction!) Yes, I think it's pretty gorgeous, myself. And while you can't see it in the above picture, it has another hummingbird on the headstock.

I mentioned to Aldrine that I often host the UU International Open Mic from Seasons of the Ukulele, and he was genuinely surprised and happy to meet me. That was a treat.

More in the next post....
Hi! I went to this too, and I share the same critiques you mention. Yes, the artists were FABULOUS and that's why I had a great time! But you described all the bad stuff, which I completely agree with.

I wish I met you in person there! =)

I almost bought my last tenor from them, as they were the only one that had what I wanted in stock. They wanted $80 for setup plus shipping. So happy I waited for HMS.
I was browsing ukes, and from the Google search, his prices were higher than any others.

Hahahaha...........I sort of enjoy Terry's bravado. I doubt there's any way to measure which site sells the most ukes. I further doubt the same is true of lessons (probably even more fragmented than sellers). When I started, I used the ULTP program for a short time and didn't find it riveting-but also not bad. I guess as with most you either enjoy Terry and his schtick or you don't. Really doesn't matter.

"Hahahaha...........I sort of enjoy Terry's bravado. "

That's one word for it. :LOL:

You can buy uke con tickets for 2023, but you'll need to be flexible...not date yet. 🤨

Top Bottom