How did you end up here?

Probably easier to just buy a new one...

Uh oh: I might be one if those people Nickie was warning us about... UAS is a slippery slope!

LOL, no not easier in this case. It's a baroq-ulele, and I'm still paying on it.

But I might have a lot of other ukes... maybe.

The last song at our Daughters funeral (let me know if you want to hear her story as I love to share) was the IK version of Over the Rainbow (a song of hope) which prompted me to play a First Act Soprano one of the grandkids bought when Toys R Us closed and left at our house in the box. From there it was hours and hours and hours of videos, more hours of web searches on topics such as strings, ukuleles, etc. and UU kept coming up time and again when I asked questions. Great resource which I turn to regularly for information.

Ended up with a Kala KA-B for my starter (yes, I am a fan of Baritones) and now that I can play chords and strum a bit its time to put it all together and actually figure out how to play songs. Eventually hope to play well enough to justify cost of the next step up to solid wood (mango) and go from there.

Best to one and all,

Charles

Back in May of this year, I reached out to Jim Beloff at Flea Market Music, trying to gauge the market for soprano uke sound body stickers of my original cartoon art. Jim was very helpful in enabling me to see that there was zero market demand for my product.
I’ve since shut down my uke art venture.
But, even after closing that door, Jumpin’ Jim graciously
and serendipitously opened a window by introducing me to the UU Forum.
Having been that odd bird who had consciously and vehemently shunned Facebook and most other social media, I’ve found UU to be a breath of fresh air in the social media swamp. What a welcoming, fun, supportive group!
Cheers!

Having been that odd bird who had consciously and vehemently shunned Facebook and most other social media, I’ve found UU to be a breath of fresh air in the social media swamp. What a welcoming, fun, supportive group!
+1 to that! I couldn't agree more :)

A music teacher made the comment that 'capos are for lazy people'. So I set off in search of comments by ukulele players regarding the use of capos. And I found Ukulele Underground. And I am thrilled with the discussions and knowledge that is shared here. So happy to find this site.

A music teacher made the comment that 'capos are for lazy people'. So I set off in search of comments by ukulele players regarding the use of capos. And I found Ukulele Underground. And I am thrilled with the discussions and knowledge that is shared here. So happy to find this site.
So glad you found us!

Kind of a harsh, judgey comment, tho, from the teacher. Sure, you should learn how to transpose on the fly. Yup, it's nice to be skilled enough to recognize the chord progressions, know what "numbers" they are, and convert those across keys. Also excellent to know your chord shapes and be able to move up & down the neck effortlessly. Then there are those of us that are still struggling with basics, that really appreciate when given a capo'd version to follow for the acoustic jam so we still get an opportunity to just happily play along with others, and the person choosing the song can achieve the singing in a key that's comfortable for them without necessarily knowing all of the above.

So glad you found us!

Kind of a harsh, judgey comment, tho, from the teacher. Sure, you should learn how to transpose on the fly. Yup, it's nice to be skilled enough to recognize the chord progressions, know what "numbers" they are, and convert those across keys. Also excellent to know your chord shapes and be able to move up & down the neck effortlessly. Then there are those of us that are still struggling with basics, that really appreciate when given a capo'd version to follow for the acoustic jam so we still get an opportunity to just happily play along with others, and the person choosing the song can achieve the singing in a key that's comfortable for them without necessarily knowing all of the above.
Comment was definitely harsh, judgey and inappropriate. Along the same lines, at age 14, I shared with a banjo teacher my interest in learning to finger pick lead on a specific tune. He responded, “Nah. It’s a fiddle tune. It won’t sound good on a banjo.” That response prompted me to stop taking lessons in favor of playing by ear. The tune (Wabash Cannonball) actually sounds very good on banjo. The “teacher” was apparently too lazy / preoccupied to write the tablature.

So glad you found us!

So glad you found us!

I agree. I’m discovering songs in the key of C, capo fret 1, work much better with my voice. I chose not to stumble while relearning closed chords to accommodate this. A friend has finger muscle issues, the capo helps.

How did I end up here? Good question. My wife surprised me with a new tenor for Christmas. I was curious about it, so I researched the model to better understand what I have. Then here I am. Honestly, I regret not joining sooner.
I am here now and I look forward to learning more everyday!

I had been ogling stuff in here for ever, and after I bought a Kani pineapple, I was proposed to register. So here I am ! I'm usually active on the "Forum Francophone de l'Ukulélé" but the community here is way larger with a lot more content, and a deeper insight on many questions too.

I'm a self-taught left-hand player, and I like trying weird things on my ukes (world musical styles, new string sets, alternate tunings, etc.).

I had been ogling stuff in here for ever, and after I bought a Kani pineapple, I was proposed to register. So here I am ! I'm usually active on the "Forum Francophone de l'Ukulélé" but the community here is way larger with a lot more content, and a deeper insight on many questions too.

I'm a self-taught left-hand player, and I like trying weird things on my ukes (world musical styles, new string sets, alternate tunings, etc.).
Welcome Bernadine! So nice of you to join the conversation :) Thank you for introducing yourself, and enjoy your stay here.

Bienvenue!

Top Bottom