How comparable(string question)

Rosendust

Reaction score
Hey all! I'm thinking about upgrading my strings on my older ukulele. I currently have the original strings they were set up with by Mim(they've held up well, I just want a different experience for my practicing.) The two brands I'm interested in trying are Worth and Oasis. I currently have Aquila Nylgut strings on my Malaka.

I also have a Soprano if it matters.
Thank you for any input you can provide!

I don't know what Mim uses for set up, but both Oasis and Worth are fluorocarbon so should be quite similar and thinner than the Nylgut. So it would be a good contrast to those, but if Mim already had put FC strings on there might not be much difference.

If the strings Mim put on your soprano are white, then most likely they are Nylon of some sort. If they're clear, it's hard to tell without hearing them.

Nylons give you more of the traditional Hawaiian sound. Bright and snappy.

Fluorocarbons and some of the carbon mixes will give you a warmer sound with more of a ring to it.

You can try a set of Oasis Bright strings and then a set of Worth Brown Mediums that are warm but still have good sustain.

That would give you a wide range of sound to experience on your uke. Use them as a baseline for strings. If you want to get really systematic about trying strings, keep a log of the strings you try and what you like and dislike about them. Including the ones that are on it now.

Make sure you give each set at least 2 weeks to stretch out and settle down before you make your final judgement. The sound can change quite a bit as they settle.

Strings are funny sometimes. My favorite strings are Living Waters Fluorocarbons. I have them on several of my tenors. (Which is the only size I play.) But i have a couple of tenors that I did not like the sound of them with LWs at all. Some just don't rock your boat. Some sound better strummed while others sound better picked. I didn't like Fremont BlackLine strings when I first put them on my Martin tenor. But after playing them for a couple of weeks, they sounded quite good.

Take your time and enjoy your explorations.

Hey all! I'm thinking about upgrading my strings on my older ukulele. I currently have the original strings they were set up with by Mim(they've held up well, I just want a different experience for my practicing.) The two brands I'm interested in trying are Worth and Oasis. I currently have Aquila Nylgut strings on my Malaka.

I also have a Soprano if it matters.
Thank you for any input you can provide!

Both your Kala (KA-15S) and Makala (Dolphin) are Sopranos, Mim might know what variant of Aquila was fitted (New Nylgut or SuperNylgut) to the Makala. Rather than go with the suggested alternatives you’ve put forward I think that the better question for you to ask is: “what strings work well on Makala Dolphins?”.

The traditional answer to that question is, IIRC, Aquila New Nylgut Concert - you won’t go far wrong with them - and I’ve had good results with Martin M600’s too. The stiff sound board on the Dolphin is thought to be driven better (harder) by the Concert Strings. The Martin strings are clear and Fluorocarbon.

Last edited:
Don't expect fancy strings to make a Makala sound much better. There is only so much sound quality that you can get out of a low-end instrument. The main reason that you should consider different strings on a Makala is to get a different feel and response. Worth strings are thinner than Aquilas and generally respond more quickly when finger-picked. Worth strings also come in high, medium, and low tension varieties so you can fine-tune your feel. High-tension gives you more resonance and volume, while low-tension is easier on the fingers, especially for people with arthritis. Most people go for the Worth CM medium-tension strings.

Well, if you want a different experience the Worth browns will give you that. They are more made for mahogany instruments, but they will change your tone... mellow and less bright. I agree, a cheaper uke has limits, but these will likely give you a different tone experience.

My experience has been that the biggest "difference" sound wise is when you change string material with fluorocarbon, nylon, and nylgut being the most used. Most people should be able to hear a significant change when changing between these string materials. This type of change should be the most dramatic.

Changing string types and brands within the same type of string material will be more subtle and then become more of a dialing in of the sound you want and string "feel".

So, 3 of the most common materials and then tons of variations within those materials. (very broad and general reply).

Top Bottom