HELP Converting my guitar to 4 strings with GCEA

Missieperlman

Reaction score
I learned how to play the Ukulele with the standard GCEA, but I like the lower pitched sound and the Fret space when I play the ukulele chords on my guitar (I know nothing of guitar chords). The six strings are a bit intimidating and difficult for my hands to accommodate. So technically I know it is possible to change the strings and manually manipulate the hardware to accommodate the change from 6 strings to 4 (GCEA), I am looking for instructions or a video that will walk me through this process step by step. I do not want to 5th fret capo my guitar, I am not looking to make my Gibson sound like a ukulele, I simply want to have the full body sound of my guitar and be able to play songs with GCEA as the only strings on the guitar. I hope I articulated my requests correctly, I am new to a lot of this. Any suggestions or instructional information would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like you want a new nut and saddle to accommodate 4 strings. I cannot help with that. To be honest, I would just run to my luthier and have him do it. However, once you get the nut set up, here's what I do to get GCEA on a guitar scale: I use the 4 treble strings of a Curt Mangan set of 12's and then I downtune from DGBE to GCEA. Also, in the past I have used the 4 bass strings, EADG and changed it to EAC#F# for a tuning that's parallel to GCEA or you could just downtune three half-steps to GCEA.

Here’s an idea I don’t recommend: remove the two E strings, move the ADGB strings over so you don’t have to reach so far and retune the ADGB strings to GCEA—an octave lower than your ukulele. You’ll need to adjust the neck because there will be less tension on the neck. It would be better to do this on a tenor guitar, but the neck will be narrower.

Instead I recommend getting a baritone ukulele and stringing it with Guadalupe GCEA strings which are also an octave lower than regular GCEA ukulele strings. You can order the Guadalupe strings directly, or from Mainland Ukulele.

You’ll end up with what many call an octave ukulele. Search on YouTube for sound samples. Search this board for octave ukulele. Some reviewers will say the strings will be loose or floppy—I believe they tested the earlier Guadalupe strings. Guadalupe is now wrapping this string set with bronze instead of silk and the newer sets feel more taut.

You can adjust to the different fret spacing. If you’ve played your guitar up the neck it won’t be much different.

Last edited:
Top Bottom