Have a friend with needs. I'd like to suggest she learn guitar. What would you all recommend as a first acoustic guitar?

I would recommend a Telecaster. One of the modern, slim C-shaped neck with super-low action. Easiest thing to play I've ever picked up. The big positive imho, over an acoustic, is that you can use 7s or 8s for diminished finger pain.

If it's got to be nylon acoustic, I would probably get a Yamaha, Cordoba or Alvarez.

I agree with the previous replies. If you do decide on a parlor, one of the Canadian-made Godin brands (Seagull, Simon & Patrick, etc.) are quality guitars for the money. One of their brands also specializes in nylon strings (not necessarily classical) which may be appropriate for someone just starting out. There are some well-respected folk/pop players who play nylon strings -- Willie Nelson, Jerry Reed -- and people like Joan Baez early in their careers.
I agree that the Quebec guitars are fine entry level ( and even pro level) guitars. I was always happy when someone came for lessons with a Yamaha as well. I shudder when I see a beginner with a Denver guitar.
By the way, I have never seen Joan Baez playing a nylon string guitar. I'm sure she may have tried one out, but by the time she started recording, she was known for her steel string Martin (and her voice).

Friend dealing with loneliness and it's assorted demons. Unfortunately my suggestion to take up guitar was met with a resounding "bleh". Thank you all for your help and insight.
I'll keep trying however...

By the way, I have never seen Joan Baez playing a nylon string guitar. I'm sure she may have tried one out, but by the time she started recording, she was known for her steel string Martin (and her
From the May/June 2019 issue of Acoustic Guitar | BY ADAM PERLMUTTER

In 1966, Joan Baez, then 25 and already an internationally renowned singer and activist, encountered an old Martin that really spoke to her. Joan Saxe, a student at the University of California, Berkeley, had just acquired a circa 1880 Style 0-40, and when Saxe met Baez that year, she handed Baez the guitar and asked if she could help troubleshoot some string rattling. Baez played the instrument and, apparently mesmerized by its dulcet tone, offered to trade Saxe not one but two guitars for the 0-40, promising to reverse the swap if it proved unsatisfactory.

For the next couple of years, Baez performed and recorded extensively with the 0-40—it’s heard on her 1967 album, Joan, and seen on the Japanese pressing of David’s Album. But in 1968, Saxe asked Baez to undo the trade, as the old Martin had been a gift from her grandmother.
I may have been mistaken in my understanding that Baez started out on a nylon string guitar, but she clearly played and recorded with one relatively early in her career.

I also read that Peter or Paul (of P, P, & Mary) and other popular folk singers played nylon strings early on (but i can't confirm that). My point, though, was that considering a nylon string guitar for learning to play is reasonable for accompanying folk and other pop music, not just for playing classical music.

Last edited:
Well that is a tough one.

❤️ Thanks for being there for your friend.
Thanks @ploverwing, I appreciate that as usual. BTW I'm a huge fan of corvids. I absolutely love them and enjoy your your avatar. I simply decided one day I wanted to learn ukulele. Don't know why, just did. It has opened so many good things for me: new communities such as UU, and all the wonderful different people all over the world learning and teaching and enjoying ukulele at all levels. Learning an instrument keeps me busy keeps me learning and keeps me goal oriented, something I think is important especially for older folks such as myself. I'm hoping that my friend may think more about learning guitar- doing *something*; saving herself from herself.

Last edited:
Friend dealing with loneliness and it's assorted demons. Unfortunately my suggestion to take up guitar was met with a resounding "bleh". Thank you all for your help and insight.
I'll keep trying however...
Without knowing the person referenced, it's difficult to suggest anything. My inclination is to suggest professional counseling for your friend but that too can be a slippery slope. A playable ukulele can be had for $40. That, and an introduction to some related forums is all I can think of. Even that is probably bad advice as humanity continues to devolve into a world of pixels instead of skin pores, and detachment rather than interactions. We used to physically go places, now we click our mouse buttons and products and services arrive without human contact. Technology is making all of us reclusive hermits. That's fine for those who can handle it, or even prefer it. Not so good for those who want or need others.

Without knowing the person referenced, it's difficult to suggest anything. My inclination is to suggest professional counseling for your friend but that too can be a slippery slope. A playable ukulele can be had for $40. That, and an introduction to some related forums is all I can think of. Even that is probably bad advice as humanity continues to devolve into a world of pixels instead of skin pores, and detachment rather than interactions. We used to physically go places, now we click our mouse buttons and products and services arrive without human contact. Technology is making all of us reclusive hermits. That's fine for those who can handle it, or even prefer it. Not so good for those who want or need others.
Absolutely true. But not only we "tech hermits" that can handle it but also making music and learning about music and theory and how the instrument works and the history and all the friendships- cyber or "skin pores" that we create along the way makes me want to encourage music as a way to open her heart and her mind; to shed loss and sorrow, to find another thing to find pleasure and release in. There is community in music and there is healing in learning something new. Especially something like a guitar or a ukulele. Music draws us together as humans.

My Mom has started guitar lessons again after decades of just periodically plunking away. I can tell that this has opened her soul somewhat, she is truly enjoying the process finally, more than partly because we have a wonderful teacher. She wants to play, and is feeling and hearing the difference that she's gaining through this experience. I think that music has such a wonderful potential to be healing, and the ukulele is just such a wonderful instrument to achieve that. I hope that your friend finds something to hold joy in, even if it's very small at the beginning.
BTW I'm a huge fan of corvids. I absolutely love them and enjoy your your avatar.
Corvids are awesome. So much character and personality. Glad you like the avatar!

Joan Baez's first LP, released in 1960, has a photo of Joan playing a steel string Martin on the cover.
Joan Baez first LP.jpg

This is an earlier photo with a Gibson J-50.
Joan Baez with dyla's J-50.jpg

As far as Peter, Paul & Mary, I believe Noel (Paul) played a nylon string guitar. While Peter played a steel string Martin with a pin bridge and slotted headstock. This is their debute LP.
Peter Paul & Mary debute LP.jpg

I still have my copies of both of these LPs, bought while I was in high school.

Joan Baez's first LP, released in 1960, has a photo of Joan playing a steel string Martin on the cover.
View attachment 148132

This is an earlier photo with a Gibson J-50.
View attachment 148133

As far as Peter, Paul & Mary, I believe Noel (Paul) played a nylon string guitar. While Peter played a steel string Martin with a pin bridge and slotted headstock. This is their debute LP.
View attachment 148134

I still have my copies of both of these LPs, bought while I was in high school.
I still have my "Blowin in the Wind" lp! What a connection to a time of social upheaval and change with wonderful music and voices like Peter Paul and Mary. I took my little boy to see them in the late '80s and it was a superb concert. I didn't have a lot of exposure to Joan Baez other than her popular music.

I want to eventually learn their versions of "Freight Train" and "Polly von". Beautiful stuff.

Eggs_n_Ham, was wondering what kind of needs your friend has. Has this friend expressed an interest in playing the guitar? Interested in playing with others? Since this a ukulele forum, maybe learn to play the uke?

Lots of questions, eh?

Ukulele groups are always on the lookout for bass - that's a possibility if your friend has good sense of timing & wants to play with others.
Sorry, didn't see this post! My mistake. Thank you for inquiring; straight up, my friend has substance abuse problems which have created lots of other problems- the whole ball of wax so to speak. Unfortunately the guitar idea never gained any traction and I've stepped back from trying to help- at least for now.

I am otoh considering getting a guitar for myself and will use all the amazing information in this thread to help me sus out something suitable!

Top Bottom