Harmonica Help

plunker

Reaction score
So my harmonicas start getting hard to blow after a while, and on some note just cant be blown. If they need to be cleaned how. I had one and boiled it (plastic and steel) blew better but the draw was terrible as far as in tune and not quality.

So my harmonicas start getting hard to blow after a while, and on some note just cant be blown. If they need to be cleaned how. I had one and boiled it (plastic and steel) blew better but the draw was terrible as far as in tune and not quality.
What kind are they? Did clean them after playing? I don’t think boiling them is a good idea. Slap the blowing part on your open palm.

I would suggest taking them apart and inspecting the read plate for gunk. Use a soft brush to clean them. The reads may also need to be positioned if they are bent. There should be plenty of guides online on cleaning.

Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 16 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 40)
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

What kind are they? Did clean them after playing? I don’t think boiling them is a good idea. Slap the blowing part on your open palm.
I tap them several times while playing front down on my leg. I have an Urbane 10 hole in C, A protocol 10 hole in C, A SWAN 10 hole in C, and a Leadtree 10 hole on C.

I would suggest taking them apart and inspecting the read plate for gunk. Use a soft brush to clean them. The reads may also need to be positioned if they are bent. There should be plenty of guides online on cleaning.

Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 16 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 40)
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers
Thanks, I have enough the one should survive the learning curve.

I don’t know anything about those harps, plunker. You should follow KohanMike’s advice and find an online guide with someone to show you what yo do and how to do it.

A diatonic, right? Please don't boil them again!

Put a towel down before you dismantle it (voice of experience here). Otherwise, you'll be chasing bouncing screws, I guarantee.

Once you have it apart, use a soft toothbrush as suggested. You can use something like a dental pick to flick some of the dried gunk off the comb. However, it sounds as though you're going to have to take more drastic measures than these.

Be very careful with the reed plates. Brushing with too much pressure can change reed reed height and you'll get buzzing and dead notes (then you'll be in the reed re-setting business in addition to a deep clean.)

You probably have dried saliva and perhaps food particles (delightful!) on the reed plates. If there is material you can see, one of the best ways to begin is to put the reed plates, the covers and the comb (not if the comb is wood) in water and let it stand 5-10 minutes. (You can add a little bit of white vinegar to this, but if you do, be sure not to let it soak too long and rinse, rinse, rinse once it emerges from its bath.) Remove, rinse and work gently with the soft tooth brush and then dry carefully with a lint free cloth (Microfiber works great). If you still have gunk, you can bring out the big guns: a bit of baking soda and a dash of white vinegar. Make a paste and gently use a toothbrush to try to dislodge leftover gunk. Then keep rinsing these parts with water until the cleaning solution is gone and dry thoroughly.

My Dad played for 70 years and he taught me how to keep them clean.

One Idea that I have not tried (but plan to do) and should work beautifully is to use plain water in a small ultrasonic cleaner. If you play harps on a regular basis (and it sounds like you do), that would be an inexpensive and easy way to keep them cleaner. With this method, you take the harp apart, put let the ultrasonic do its work for 10 minutes or so, remove, brush gently with the toothbrush and completely dry the parts.

I play diatonic and chromatics and it's fun to tinker with them. Good luck.

Bluesy.

This is a really good thread. I just started learning to play. I have Lil Rev's harmonica instruction book and CD. He's a very good instructor.
I don't plan to ever play on stage, this is just to help me get over sleep apnea. But it sure is fun.
I have 3 harps by Hohner, in C, D, and G. They're the plastic HooDoo Blues version.

Most of the time just running warm tap water through the comb for a few minutes will do the trick. Follow by slapping the harp on your palm to knock out the excess water, then aggressively blow in and out and hopefully this will get the harmonica back on track.
Some of the harps I play with the band are 45-50 years old and still sound good...

Top Bottom